“Great Backup Place”

Best Western Plus Holland Inn & Suites
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Holland
Reviewed August 18, 2014

See also my review of the Fairfield Inn next door. We had reservations at the Fairfield Inn next door but they had overbooked so they sent us to another hotel where we declined to stay so fortunately the Best Western had a cancellation so they put us there. (They paid for it) We were delighted. We got a spa suite with a king size bed, an outside entrance, fridge and micro. The guys behind the front desk were so nice and accommodating. The breakfast was delicious. We were supposed to move back to the Fairfield but we did not want to do so because we liked where we were so much. So, all in all, what started out as disaster turned into a good thing for us.

Room Tip: The spa suite is great. Only room I have been in. But I do like rooms with outside entrances.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank oaklanding10

Reviewed August 16, 2014

There wasn't anyone at the front desk when we tried to check in. We rang the bell and after another wait someone finally showed up.

The room had dirt in the grout of the bathroom and the shower curtain looked like it was 20 years old and had never been cleaned. There was also a piece of wood just nailed to the wall behind the tv. It looked like a piece of art had previously been hung there but was removed.

The fridge and automatic light in the bathroom kept making noise which made it hard to sleep the first night. The second night, the room next door to us was playing loud music all night. We called the front desk twice and they did nothing the first time. The second time we called they said they had ready called and did not even seem apologetic. The next morning when we checked out we told the person at the front desk and she took of $15 from our bill. (Big whoop) When we went to get coffee downstairs the waffle maker and microwave could not be run at the same time because a fuse would blow and the juice dispenser was not working.

Overall this was one of the worst hotel experiences I've ever had and would never stay here again. The customer service was terrible and the employees seemed like they had no idea what they were doing. I recommend paying a little more and staying somewhere else. I've stayed at other Best Western Plus hotels and was very satisfied which is why I stayed here but I will be avoiding all Best Western's in the future because of this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Grimsto1
Reviewed August 8, 2014

Check in was fast & easy. Our room was clean & faced the back so it was fairly quiet except for the people above us walking around @ all hours. I did spot a bug in the bathroom in the early a.m. but just scooped it up with a kleenex & disposed it. Our bathroom had a previous leak in the ceiling which had been fixed but there was a lot of mold on the ceiling & major staining which went into the entry way. Hopefully they will take care of this problem SOON!! I got a really good rate for the night but it is defintely not a 3 star property. Maybe after they are finished with the change over. Breakfast was just OK, nothing to write home about. If I were going to Holland again I would probably look for another place to stay.

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor facing the back as the street the hotel is located on is fairly busy.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2014

I have not stayed in a Best Western Hotel in years. I remember them as shabby, etc. When I walked in the lobby, the cutesy decor was a pleasant surprise. After that, the experience was not so pleasant. We had a handicapped accessible shower because my husband requires a handheld unit. The holder for the shower handle was broken, so it had to be propped into one of the rails on the side of the shower. We reported it, but were not offered another room. Inconvenient, but not a deal breaker. My husband found a large bug--we thought it might have come up from the drain. Next day, I found one as well. When we told the desk about the roaches, the response showed no concern. The attendant at the breakfast spent most of his time playing loud music/videos on his smartphone, even though the coffee was near empty, and the place really needed to be wiped up. Do not book here unless you don't mind bugs and disorder.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2014

This Hotel is run by the most inept staff I've ever come across.

1. Room isn't ready come back in 15 minutes. Okay, we were early, no big deal.
2. Come back in 1/2 hour - wait 1/2 hour for room
3. Room is handicapped with a roll in shower for wheelchairs. Very dirty from the wheels.,
4. Request new room, they say we reserved with Priceline and this is what they told us you needed.
5. Called Priceline, they deny ever saying that.
6. Bottom line - no change in room unless we pay an additional $40.
7. We pay the money reluctantly, but what are you going to do>
8. Room not ready - wait 15 minutes. We wait 1 hour. So we just lug our suitcases back to the car and tell them we'll come back later.
9. Come back at 9:00pm get room key - bring luggage. Key won't work and someone else is in the room.
10. Take luggage back downstairs.
11. Sorry wrong key - give us another key, but wait for room to be cleaned
12. REALLY?

Never again and no apologies from the inept staff.

Room Tip: Try anywhere, but here.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 4, 2014

We stayed for one night one a Friday night so I expected to pay a little more than usual. We paid $200 for a $90 hotel! We checked in at 3pm and went to the beach right away. When we returned that evening I saw a bug that looked like a tick or something on the wall but it was near the window so I killed the bug and thought maybe it had come through the A/C. I noticed there was very little toilet paper in the bathroom and alerted the front desk on my way out. I told him we would be gone for a few hours and could someone please bring some to our room because I may forget when we come back. We arrived back three hours later and there was still no toilet paper (of course we noticed this when we needed it). My husband called the front desk and the night manager brought two rolls up but was on the phone when I answered the door and offered no apology. That night we noticed another bug of the same kind in the bathroom. I inspected the edges of both matresses and found no signs of other bugs. The next morning as we were preparing to check out, my husband noticed another bug on my daughter's bed! If all the other hotels in the area were not booked we would have left at the sight of the first bug. Do yourself a favor and skip this hotel!!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

Holland appears to be the place to go if you're a family with tweens. At least there where many at the motel when I was there.

The place is similar to another Best Western I have stayed at. On paper it's got a pool, gym and there is spa in the room. But the reality is fairly modest. Some aspects could use a little bit of updating.

Nevertheless it was clean, quiet and comfortable.

Complimentary breakfast is ok.

Stayed: July 2014