“Don't Bother - Sadly”

Best Western Plus Holland Inn & Suites
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Holland
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This hotel was less than desirable. I found part of the reason was that it seemed to be overseen and run by very young (even teens) staff. When I checked into my room, there were half drank Coke bottles on the counter and the room was old. This hotel is an exterior entrance and interior entrance on the lower floors. The painting and appearance looks good on the website but leaves much to be desired. The breakfast room had spilled cereal on the counters (at late afternoon when we checked in) and many of the tables did not set level. We had guests in the room next to us that were very noisy until past midnight. We called the desk because we were not able to go to sleep. I finally plugged my ears and did the best I could. In the morning, upon check-out; I asked to speak to a manager. I was told there would not be a manager on site until 11:00 a.m. (Thus the problems I think).

In defense, we were told that the hotel is being changed to a Best Western and improvements will be made. I hope so.

Room Tip: Wait the the change to take place or choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Holland Inn & Suites

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Had such an awesome time this past weekend. They gave us an amazing deal on our room- which happened to be super clean. The staff was extremely nice and polite. The hotel was all around quiet, and peaceful. The pool room was clean & comfortable. A great experience, we will be back !

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I can say I just wasted close to 100 dollars. This place is horrid!!!! We checked in at 6pm, left at 730 pm for dinner and to find a new hotel, and checked out at 10:20pm. This is not even CLOSE to a 3 star rating! It probably isn't worthy of a one star! The only positive I could possibly say is that the pool is open 24 hours. The carpet is dirty, and torn. It's missing some paint and missing trim moulding. The bed sheets had stains. Whenever the people above us moved or turned on water we heard it! The worst part was some morons outside lighting off firecrackers and they were hitting our window. Upon reterning the same moron was outside shirtless in pj bottoms carrying out with another group of guys. The place seems to be ran by teenagers. I wouldn't say they were even close to 18. I also forgot to mention when we went to our room the door was open and a wash rag (used) was on the floor by the door, and the best part were the BUGS (ants and something else). The young girl didn't ask us why we decided to leave, we told her we weren't happy with the place and that was the end of that conversation.

Don't let their website fool you! It is not that nice! We didn't feel safe here at all!

I would much rather sleep in my car in the parking lot of Walmart than stay overnight at this location. We ended up paying twice as much at a new actual hotel and new city. And it's BEYOND beautiful and water views!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank GHLOW
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I was on a girl get-away trip with my Mom and sisters. We had booked this hotel because of the reasonable rate of $90, and the fact that the hotel had a pool and hot tub.

Let me begin with the good things about the stay. Check-in was quick with a friendly young girl at the desk. The pool hours are 24 hours - so that is great for late night swimming and early risers. The pool and hot tub temps were perfect, and both were reasonably clean. The pool is equipped with a lift to assist handicapped guests. Towels were nearby. The mattresses were comfortable and we all had a good night's rest after our neighbors settled down. The inn has a lodge type motif with carved bears peeking in the upstairs windows. Kid's would probably love it. I do think the inn should have "lodge" in the name so that guests know to expect a rustic theme.

Now for the not so good aspects of our stay. First impressions are important, and peeling paint and general lack of maintenance are evident when pulling up. The decor needs updating. Upholstery is "tired" and worn. We had a first floor room with doors to the inner hall as well as to the parking lot. As a group of women traveling, I personally don't like the outside door - it just doesn't feel secure and safe to me. It didn't help that when we arrived back at the room around 11 PM that there was a parking lot disturbance with yelling and crying young people. We chose to wait in the car until things settled down. We were not told that the hotel had over 100 teenagers staying in it. We had some of them in the adjoining room. We could actually hear every word spoken. Finally, at 12:30 PM, we called the desk, but no action was taken to quiet the group. Upon checking into our room, there were only two sets of towels in a double queen room. We also noticed 2 empty coke bottles on top of the refrigerator. It was obvious that housekeeping leaves something to be desired.

I would have given the hotel a 3 if not for the breakfast and lack of a manager on duty the next day. The breakfast was sub-par for this type of inn. There was juice, coffee and donuts. Some limited fruit and yogurt. Only two cereals that were almost empty and dried out bread for toast just didn't seem up to par. The only hot food was waffles which were ok. Usually, most hotels offering breakfast have some type of eggs providing protein to start the day. There was a young girl occasionally servicing the breakfast area when she wasn't hanging all over a young man employee in the lobby.

Upon check out, another friendly young man was at the desk. Also at the desk were 4 other young employees more interested in chatting than helping the guests. When asked to talk to a manager on duty, we were told that the manager would not be in until 11 AM. My overall impression was that the hotel was being run by people under 25 - a couple responsible ones, but most were not interested in serving the guests.

There are many other options to choose from in Holland. I would not stay at this establishment again. As a side note, the hotel was formerly a Best Western, and is in the process of becoming a Best Western Select. Perhaps with the right management and a total renovation, it could be nice in the future.

Room Tip: I agree with another reviewer to request seeing a room before checking in to make sure it meets expe...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed in this hotel on our way back to Chicago. The price was right $80 +tax,for this hotel.
Location was good it was close to shopping malls and major highway. Stores such as Walmart, Aldi, TJMax, etc are right across the hotel. Many dining options are with in a mile radius. The pool was open 24 hour. Refrigerator and microwave wave was included so we did not have to pay extra money. Sink was outside the bathroom and its a plus for me.
The room had dust on the furniture,carpet was dirty,furniture was dated. This hotel needs major renovation. Stairs seemed that no one had vacuum for ages, It seemed understaff, during the breakfast no one was refilling food until the owner showed up and they started to bring food. Breakfast had no eggs,waffle mixture was pre filled in small cups and left on the counter, tea bags were some cheap quality. My friend also stayed in the hotel we were traveling together, her bathroom door had a big hole inside it seemed like some one had punched it, paint was striping from the bathroom wall. If someone wants to stay in a clean property I would not recommend this hotel, we wanted to stay only one night to break our journey and were stuck with non refundable rooms otherwise we would have stayed in hampton inn which is very nice hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to check the rooms before checking in you might get lucky and get a good room. I do not know if...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Teacher96
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Stayed here for one night on business. I immediately liked the unique log cabin, rustic look to the exterior finding it very welcoming and warm. The staff were always friendly and helpful. The hotel itself is showing it's age and could use a freshening up with some paint, paper and perhaps new carpet. The front lobby makes you feel like you're entering a lodge, also making this hotel feel inviting. The hotel room itself was spacious, clean and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom had it's sink outside the bathroom by the door, which I'm generally not a huge fan of, while the tub was showing signs of aging with some dark spots. The desk in my room was not well set up fo laptops and I found myself under the desk disconnecting cords to plug my laptop in. Wireless worked great, while the hotel is directly across from Buffalo Wild Wings, and several other eating options, and malls are also within walking distance. The breakfast was ok (5/10) and pretty standard fare - waffles, cereal, bagels, etc. Parking was adequate, and well lit. Overall, for the money I was pleased with this hotel, and would stay here again, but wouldn't pay more then $80.00 in an area where so many other hotel options are plentiful.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 30, 2013

This used to be a Best Western and it will be again, shortly. The bears on the outside are cute and the inside "lodge" theme is very nice. A friend a I stayed on a Thursday night b4 Tulip Festival for $79 + tax. It would be more expensive on weekend. Very close to all the Holland activities. Breakfast is waffles, toast, mini muffins, apples, 2 kinds of cereal, oatmeal. Room was facing back farm field with old farm equipment. Room was very nice, bathroom tub did have large crack that they caulked. Steps to 2nd floor definitely needed vacuuming both days. But, otherwise we just wanted a cheap, safe place to stay. I would stay there again. I didn't notice any excessive noise, but I do put fan on continuous to help with that.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends