“Nice place to visit”

Windmill Island Gardens
Ranked #8 of 63 things to do in Holland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Windmill Island Gardens is home to de Zwaan windmill, the last mill allowed to be transported from the Netherlands. de Zwaan still functions by grinding locally-grown grain into flour that is sold to visitors and local businesses. A highlight of visiting is a tour of this historic working windmill. Visitors can enjoy music from our antique Dutch street organ given to the City of Holland by the City of Amsterdam after World War II. Children can also ride on our antique carousel from the Netherlands. There are several other replica Dutch buildings and shops. The Island is home to beautiful gardens which feature tulips in the spring followed by beautiful annuals and perennials throughout the summer. Please note that the Island is open seasonally, April 14 - October 7, 2018. Last tickets sold at 5 pm.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Went during the week and after the last tulip was long gone. The windmill was nice to see and the tour was well worth it. Enjoyed the dancers. Not a trip for people who like a lot of action but nice for a quiet stroll in the park.

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"dutch dancers"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed July 11, 2014

We went to Windmill Island last August and while we enjoyed it, it wasn't the quality we expected. The windmill was fun to tour. The Dutch dancers weren't as trained as those at the Dutch Village (also in Holland), but the tour guide did a very good job explaining things as we went up the windmill.

We really enjoyed the carousel as well. This is only one of two carousels in North America that were made in Europe: this is the only one from the Netherlands. However, the horses weren't painted well the last time and they are in desperate need of being painted again. A professional carousel horse painter had redone some of the horses beautifully, and they contrasted with the other animals' looks drastically. Only children are allowed on this carousel in spite of the fact that the horses look big enough to hold adults. Mommy and daddy weren't allowed by the carousel at all.

We loved the barrel organ as well as the other small displays they had. The few flowers we saw were also beautiful. We expected more attractions, so it felt a little small.

While we were there we discovered that part of the problem was they needed funds to repair the windmill so it could become functional again, and they were also trying to raise money to refurbish the carousel and the barrel organ (both need it badly). So we have hopes that if we visit here again in a few years our rating of our experience would be significantly higher.

1  Thank Bertram S
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We went with our grandchildren on a quiet morning, so got lots of attention. There was an old carousel to ride, a short film, some exhibits, a working windmill to tour, Dutch dancers, and more. The grounds are beautiful. There is no place to have lunch, so plan accordingly. However, there are snacks to buy, including traditional licorice (don't miss that) or banket (pastry stuff with almond paste--delicious). This is my third visit over the years. The fee is modest given all the opportunities to enjoy the grounds and offerings.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

Expensive for what it is , gardens with windmill and small gift shop. Few demonstrations at set times of clog dance and working fairground organ

2  Thank BigAlNorthampton
See more reviews
Reviewed July 3, 2014

We were taking a trip around Lake Michigan and I was looking so forward to going to Windmill Island but once I got there, total disappointment set in. It was late in the day in mid June and the place was pretty empty. I went straight to the windmill itself and waited 15-20 minutes for a tour despite several people waiting and three workers sitting around reading. The tour itself was fascinating despite the young woman giving the tour. It must have been at the end of a long day because she couldn't remember the names of things and seemed somewhat distracted during the whole tour. The organ didn't seem to being played although i did hear it as i was getting in my car to leave. The gift shop wasn't much so I was ready to go......which I did. It was only $8 and when I got back to my hotel, I wish I still had the $8 in my pocket. Maybe it was just me but I would think long and hard before I took a whole family here.

4  Thank casualtraveler2011