“Bugs in room”

Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Holland
Michigan
“Bugs in room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2008

We booked this room for an average of about $60/night for 3 nights. The room was small, but this is a Microtel, so we expected that. The furnishings all looked new and clean. I was thinking very favorably of this place, especially at this price, until we found a bunch (8-10) of roly, poly bugs in the bathroom on our last day. I mentioned it to the clerk when we checked out, and all she said was that they would spray the room. Gee thanks! Each time, we went into the room, we could smell something that smelled like pepper, but couldn't figure out what it might be. I assume, now, that it was bug spray.
If the price hadn't been so reasonable, I would have asked to talk to a manager, but I didn't bother this time.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Bugs in bathroom
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Timmins, ON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2008

We were in Holland Michigan for a day to see some of the sites on our way down to Chicago and we were quite impressed with the Microtel Inn. Spacious rooms, very clean, fast wireless internet, even a good breakfast for less than $90 a night.

• Liked — Clean rooms and low cost.
  • Disliked — No pool.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Metro Detroit, MI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2008

Pros: Room was quite nice and roomy. We stayed in a suite, which had a microwave, sink, and small fridge. High speed Internet worked well, even with my MacBook. TV didn't have a ton of stations, but did offer two HBO channels. Good location, only a few minutes from downtown Holland, about 10 min from beach.

Cons: Continental breakfast is laughable-nothing except juice, coffee, bagels and muffins. No shampoo in room. I had to ask the front desk for some and they gave. No in-room iron or ironing board. Again, had to ask front desk to use one. Walls are pretty thin. We heard people walking around above us and the shower turning on in another room. I smelled dog in the hallway because pets are allowed.

Overall, I guess you get what you pay for.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Holland hotels

Urbana, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2008

This was a very nice motel. The room was new, clean and comfortable. There was also free internet access. The only problem was the noise. There were some very loud and obnoxious young girls in the rooms surrounding me and I could hear everything they said. So the walls are thin. Other than that, I have no complaints.

• Liked — the room was clean and comfortable
  • Disliked — it was really noisy
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2008

When I made reservations here, I explained that I had a small dog and the girl said there would be no charge. I was in room #205 - non-smoking room. It stunk of smoke all thru the sheets and comforter. The hallway window had to be opened for the smell down the hall. When we checked out, they said there was a $20 charge for my little dog so they could "clean up any messes". I told them the girl said she was no charge. My dog slept on her pad all night but I was awake smelling of cigarettes. I told them about the smell and they said "sorry" but I still had to pay for my "smelly" dog who was just groomed for her trip. It did no good to complain to the front desk. I offered to take them to the room and look for anything from the dog but to come smell the room for the smoke but they didn't take me up on it. Don't think it was fair.

Stayed May 2007
Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2006

Microtel in Holland, MI is a great budget hotel. The staff was very friendly. The room very clean and the prices excellent. It's the first Microtel I've stayed at, so I didn't realize that the rooms are smaller than average. This was not a problem at all for just me and my husband. The bathroom was not small at all. If size is a concern, spend the extra $10/night for a suite. This would still be a great bargain. There is a continental breakfast that I can't comment on b/c we didn't use it. The free long distance and wireless internet were awesome. I highly recommend this one.

• Liked — price
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank agray3
Mascoutah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2006

I've stayed at this Microtel twice and have been very pleased with both stays. This is a rather new motel in an excellent location. At both stays my room was clean and comfortable with good lighting and attractive furniture. The bathroom was clean and the towels smell fresh. Staff and management have been pleasant and helpful. I've had no complaints and would highly recommend this Microtel. It is an excellent value.

• Stayed February 2006