“It's a Dawg's Life... Treats upon arrival would be a nice touch.”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Holland
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Holland
Chicago, Illinois
“It's a Dawg's Life... Treats upon arrival would be a nice touch.”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Just returned from the hotel today, all in all not a bad deal for what it is, i.e. an economy-priced accommodation that promises little, is pet friendly and actually quite clean. I generally prefer 4 or 5 star hotels, but since it was a quick getaway on a budget with a 10 pound happy dog, it was fine.

The hotel staff was polite and the rooms were cleaner than one particular 3 star hotel I had the displeasure of booking (and quickly changing). The hotel has NO KING beds, so we took the "larger" layout with two queens. I would suggest just get a suite-- which desk staff did not offer (it's only $10 more per night), they should at least offer....

Room was a bit stuffy (yet ODOR FREE); the windows open, so no problem! Walls and ceilings are on the thin side, so don't be surprised to hear your neighbor to the side or above you. Shower pressure was consistently high and the water got nice and hot. I never went down for (complimentary)breakfast so I have no comments other than the area appeared clean from afar.Vendo-land (vending machine) was a bit costly: $1.35 for a small bag of chips? Just stop by a store prior to arrival.... The beds were comfortable enough to provide a pain-free and restful night's sleep and the linens were nice and clean and of a higher quality threadcount. Bath towels and washcloths were fine too. A blanket would be nice--and perhaps since the season is in transition now, that is something reserved for fall/winter.

I would actually stay again in the future. Hopefully they will offer dog treats-- it would be a nice touch.... Afterall the price of offering comp doggie treats could be offset by upselling rooms.

Room Tip: Don't forget to ASK about upgrading to a suite.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Austintown, Ohio
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Very run down, stains on carpet, window seat, comforter and towels. Sheets semed clean, but nothing else, bathroom was dirty. Not many choices for breakfast and getting ice for the room was pretty much getting a bucket of water. The girls at the front desk were friendly and that was the only good thing I found.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Holland hotels

Owosso, Michigan
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We were very happy with our stay. Clean rooms, hot showers and friendly staff. We stayed for an 8 week period due to work and would highly recommend this hotel for someone looking for reasonably priced,clean, and comfortable room. The staff was efficient and kept our rooms clean. Beds are comfortable and the suites are quite spacious.

Room Tip: Queen suite, very nice if you have children. Try to stay on the west side to avoid highway noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Overall we were happy with our stay at the Microtel Inn & Suites in Holland, MI. The rooms were clean and very comfortable, although a bit on the small side. The shower had very nice water pressure and plenty of hot water. Unfortunately, the shower, toilet, and sink were all in the same room, which made sharing between 3 people a bit difficult. The complimentary breakfast was adequate, but it would have been nice to see some more variety (i.e. skim or soy milk instead of just whole, yogurt, oatmeal, fruit besides red apples). If you are looking for a cheap and comfortable hotel with easy access to Holland or Saugatuck, the Microtel is a very good option.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We arrived late on a Friday night, and the check-in procedure was one of the fastest I have ever experienced, which was wonderful after a long drive. The rooms are nice, and very clean,and the breakfast has a decent selection of food. The only problem is that the entrance to the parking lot on Hastings Ave. is not very well identified as a Microtel, and if you don't know what you are looking for you might be confused. Also be aware that the Hwy 31 exit to Holland from northbound I-196 is closed.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Well, I should have know when the area we were in had multiple things closed down and grass growing around them. But we went ahead to the motel and we stopped to see if they had anything available which they did. The gal at the front desk was nice and took our coupon we had. We went back out to get our bags unloaded and take them up stairs. I noticed a strange smell in the lobby but we went ahead and went up to our room. The motel has been non smoking for a few years so we figured we should be ok. When we got into our room we turned on a few lights pulled the sheets back and moved the pillows to make sure things were ok. I sat on the side of one of the beds to see if it was ok as well. Our daughter used the restroom and that was it. In the short amount of time we were in the room I started to wheeze ( I have asthma and my triggers are mold, smoke and dust ). We discussed what we should do and just sat there for a bit longer and began to wheeze more. I knew if we stayed any longer or tried to spend the night I would end up in the hospital with an asthma attack. We hadn't even unpacked yet. I don't think we were in the room more than 15 min. total but they say it way 45 min. We went downstairs and I told the girl at the desk, I was sorry but I couldn't stay I had to leave. That in the short amount of time we were there I had started wheezing, I couldn't smell anything but something was causing it. She had my husband sign a receipt for our money back. (most time they put your payment on your card when you check out vs the beginning) She said it might take a few days to get the amount back which was ok I just wanted my money back because we were going to have to find somewhere else to stay. We ended up going back north to Grand Rapids and found a very nice place. Then the next day I received a call from a gal that said her manager wanted her to call me and make sure I was ok, then said I was being charged 1/2 the nights rate..........WHAT? I could see if we had been there for several hours but for what they say was 45 min. I don't think is right. I voiced this to the girl that I didn't think that was right. I mean we didn't even unpack, so she told me I could talk to the manager. I told her yes I wanted to because I didn't feel this was right. Guess what, voice mail. I left a message and have yet to hear from him which I really doubt I will. I have called the 800# and am waiting to hear from them as well. We have stayed at a microtel before and had no problems at all. This however will keep us from staying with one again. From now on I will check a room before I give them my card as well. I feel like they are charging me for a health condition I have and can not help. I have my asthma well controlled and know what triggers them so I avoid them. This charge should not be.

London, England
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Definitely THE place to stay in this area. Couldn't find fault with anything. My Room (306) was very clean, very comfortable and VERY quiet. I'd recommend this Motel to everyone.
I believe this was my first experience of a Microtel and it certainly will not be my last.
Just perfect.

Room Tip: If my room was anything to go by you'll be fine anywhere
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo