“SO FUN FOR EVERYONE” 5 of 5 bubbles

Nelis' Dutch Village
Ranked #3 of 53 things to do in Holland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A visit to Nelis' Dutch Village is like a step back into the Netherlands of over 100 years ago on a day when a festival came to town. Demonstrations and performances; tastes, sight and sounds; and something to interest all ages. Unique shopping too.
Novi, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“SO FUN FOR EVERYONE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

The Nelis' Dutch Village is DO much fun this trip was our second time going there and my kids loved it. My son begged to go back, that is why we made it back there again. Michael showed us how they valve shoes and it was so AMAZING to see. The workers are all SO nice and it is such a fun time for young kids and my parents loved it too.

1 Thank Jessica M

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Chicago, Illinois
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Cute Park with a Historical Flair”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

My fiance and I absolutely LOVED this park and we will definitely visit again the next time we're in town. The park is designed to look like a small 19th century Dutch town and it's very informative and, at the same time, super fun! We got to walk a goat! It was a very unique experience! We also got to learn how klompen (traditional wooden shoes) are made, we got info on the beautiful Delft pottery, and learned about Dutch clothing and customs etc. It was also wonderful getting to see a working street organ that's actually from the Netherlands. I highly recommend this park for both younger and older folks.

Visited May 2014
Illinois
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Fun even in the rain”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

It rained, sometimes pretty hard, during our visit. We still enjoyed walking around and seeing the sites. The kids also like walking the goats! We had snacks at the cafe and bought souvenirs in the gift shop.

1 Thank Noahsark99
Illinois
135 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 135 helpful votes
“Goat walking at its finest!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

Ya know... this place surprised me on the upside. I went when my kids were smaller (ages 8 and 14) and my 14-year old (at the time) remembered it and we went back. Gee... it is 4 years later - they are 12 and 18. We loved it. Stayed 3.5 hours. And for a small-ish place of 31 - wow!. Why?

- Staff are friendly
- Over 30 attractions
- Several demonstrations (wooden shoe dancing, cheese making, candle making, shoe making, etc..)
- Rides for smaller kids (shoe slide, ferris wheel, carousel, etc...)
- Petting zoo (rabbit, pig, goats...)
- A zip line - that both older kids still found fun - but really geared toward the 6-12 year old set
- A squirt game with "duck" racing - that is also for 6-12 year olds maybe
- A movie on the history of the place tied to Holland
- A museum on the history - tied to Holland
- Getting weighed for "witchery"
- And.....

The infamous "goat walking". Goats are not amenable to going where you want. They can take you where they want to go. It was a blast. As I said, my 14-year old remembered it as the highlight when she was 14. At 18, that's all she could talk about. She walked a goat for 20 minutes - and was firmer. My 12-year old; about the same. My older one walked a pony too...

If the kids are cynical... maybe it doesn't work as well... yet I expected to spend an hour or two there - and they wouldn't let me leave until after lunch. Yep... lunch "on campus" - 3.5 hours later.

1 Thank Dfcameron
“Very nice afternoon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

This is not a huge theme park but a small entertaining and educational amusement park. Young children delight in the animals and rides. The candle making shop and cheese shop where my favorites. My daughter loved the shoe making demonstration. We had a very nice time, thank you.