“Treat for the Grand Niece”

Nelis' Dutch Village
Ranked #2 of 60 things to do in Holland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A visit to Nelis' Dutch Village is like a step back into the Netherlands of over 100 years ago on a day when a festival came to town. Watch old Dutch craft demonstrations and Dutch klompen dancers. Taste 22 kinds of Dutch cheeses, beautiful Dutch architecture and listen to the Golden Angel street organ. Includes unlimited rides on the Ferris wheel, carousel and Dutch chair swing ride. Unique shopping, Dutch cafe and pub, and fudge and ice cream.
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Good place for both adults and kids. Informative displays and presentations, and rides for the kids. Was a great way to spend a few hours.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

We are an older Dutch couple and we made a tour through the United States. While we were in Grand Rapids someone advised us to visit the Dutch Village. We were most amazed to see what has been created here. The windmill the nice old houses with the authentic interiors. There is one thing I regret, that is that we were not here when the tulips were blooming. That must be amazing.
With the original Dutch population getting less, it is good that there people who keep these memories alive.
Last but not least: mu first name is Cor, which comes from Cornelis, like Nelis. This creates a special bond.
Tot ziens en het aller beste (Goodbye and all the best)

1  Thank Cor1905
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We've been to Dutch Village many times, and the one area that amazes me each and every time is the candle making store. The hand dipped and hand carved candles are simply amazing. I really can't say enough about them. You must see the workers in action.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We visited here with our two year old. Although the place does not appear to be renovated since I was here as a child, my son enjoyed the animals, statues, and rids.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I decided to try our luck at this tourist attraction. If we had small children (best for ages 3-8, probably), it may have been worth the price tag. Small wooden structures surround an algae-filled concrete "river", that smells a bit. The day's schedule of events was helpful, but only in keeping us around longer than the 5 minutes that we should have stayed. The cheese making demonstration wasn't a demonstration at all. Just a 17-year-old summer employee reciting a script about how they made cheese (when the stuff wasn't broken). The museum was filled with dolls that were dusty and covered in cobwebs.

There were some neat areas - the petting zoo was cute, and the candle-making demonstration was really cool. There were places to buy wooden shoes and pottery. But you can buy wooden shoes and pottery in the town without paying this admission price, and you can pet goats in your own hometown.

I'm sure this is a family's labor of love, and I hate to poo-poo anything that someone is proud of. If you have small children, disposable income and lots of free time on your hands, by all means - stop by. But, for everyone else, skip it.

2  Thank AliOkie