“Decent Marriott Property”

Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Holland
Houston, Texas
“Decent Marriott Property”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

This is a standard Residence Inn. However, it seems priced a little high compared to other locations we've stayed at. We were not in Holland during tulip season. There was nothing of note going on in town. But we paid $50-60 more per night than we usually do for a similar room in other Residence Inns.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Chris B, General Manager at Residence Inn Holland, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback! We appreciate hearing what people are saying about our facility. Holland is a premier destination during this time of year, with our beautiful beaches, unique downtown, close proximity to Saugatuck/Douglas and multiple festivals, sport tournments, weddings, etc. More and more people are coming to see "Pure Michigan" and driving our demand for rooms. Their are other times of the year our rates are more affordable, the fall and winter in Holland and the lakeshore are still beautiful places to see and their are still plenty of things to see and do. We hope to see you again later this year! Thank you again for choosing the Residence Inn Holland!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Joliet, Illinois
Reviewed June 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed the weekend at the Residence Inn. We were extremely happy with our stay there. Very clean, spacious and we even had our Chocolate Lab stay here too. We stayed in a queen, pull out sofa bed with full fridge, stove, microwave. Coffeemaker in the room. With the 3 of us, it was more than enough.

Breakfast was great. Scrambled eggs, oatmeal, fruit, donuts, toast, OJ, cereal. More than enough for a free meal.

Yeah, it was out a little bit by itself, but the advantage is its quiet and not a lot of traffic. When we went to the desk, they gave us many ideas of places to go, places to eat. We do not travel a whole lot to compare hotels but this one we would recommend and stay here again.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor with our lab which was good due to not getting on the elevator.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great feedback! We appreciate hearing from our guests! I'm sure your Chocolate Lab had a relaxing stay as well. We look forward to seeing you next time you are in Holland. Thank you for choosing the Residence Inn Holland, Michigan!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Location: It is some where in the middle of no-where, but if you are looking for a quiet location, this is it. There are no restaurants near by, you have to drive to Holland downtown if you would like to get something decent to eat.

Hotel: The website has to be updated with the latest photos, the photos on the website do not do any justice to the room we have stayed. We stayed for one night in a one bed room suite and it was good. The living room is decent size and is separated from bed room. Queen size bed, comforters need an upgrade, flat screen tv in bed room, shower was ok, bedroom has a closet.
The living room has a sofa which can also be used a bed, one work table with 2 chairs, a writing desk, and a flat screen tv. It comes with fully equipped kitchen - refrigerator, microwave, stove top, dish washer, pots, pans, silver ware, etc.
Like every other Residence inn, this also provides grocery shopping service.

Service was OK, being a platinum elite, the front desk did not thank for my loyalty or offered any assistance, but it is not a big deal. I am just comparing with my other stays.

The property also has a charge point to charge your electric cars, that is pretty cool.

Breakfast is decent. Regular stuff - Juice, coffee, waffle maker, scrambled eggs, muffins, toast bread, fruits, etc. In the breakfast room, they also had a mac pc - pretty big one and is cool. Wish they could have placed this computer in a different room to avoid the crowd.

Overall, it is a decent hotel but not in a great location.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback! I will make sure I pass it all on to my staff! Since your review I have worked a lot with them to focus more on all of our Elite members, ESPECIALLY our Platium Members. I apologize you didn't feel as well recieved as you should have.

Our website has been recently updated, we were waiting on Marriott's approval on all our photos so it did take a little bit. I know our location is a little off the beaten path, but we service all of the local businesses that surround us on a regular basis. The large field around us, keeps the road noise away and helps many feel more relaxed. There is however plans for restaurants and retail facilities in the near future to fill up some of the open land. I hope you'll be back next time you are in Holland and choose the Residence Inn by Marriott!
Madison, Alabama
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I just finished a 4 night stay at the Residence Inn, in Holland, Michigan. I was here on business, and found the location to be far away from any restaurants or for that matter, anything. It sits in the middle of a field, so if you're looking for a quite place, this is it. It is close to some businesses so thats a plus if you have business at them. I found that the WiFi here is probably the worse I have experienced anywhere. When I called the front desk, they were less than helpful, and were aware of the problem, one which has apparently existed for a long time. They said that they should have it upgraded in the near future, but that is not acceptable. I had to call the IT helpline to finally get on more than once. For a Residence Inn, the food selections in the morning and evening was average. My first day here, I was still on Central time and was late to the dining area. By the time I got downstairs, the lady had already put everything away. I told her I had not yet changed my watch to eastern time, and asked if there was any food left, but she said I was too late. That was a first for me, especially being a Platinum Elite Member. At other Marriott properties when I've arrived a little late, they go out of their way to help you out, but not here. At nearly all other Residence Inns I've stayed at, they have soft drinks available at the evening meal, but once again, not here. This just felt like the Wal-Mart of Residence Inns At a lot of Residence Inns I stay at, they go out of their way to offer a exceptional breakfast, and some very good evening meals, but not here. I just didn't notice the warm reception that I normally find at Marriott properties. The place was clean, and appeared to be newly renovated, or built not too long ago. My business associate stayed at the Fairfield Inn which he liked, and was close to all the restaurants. Holland is a great little town, but this is not the place to stay if you want to be close to everything. If you are a business traveller as I am, and need to use your WiFi, this isn't the place to stay. Next time in town I will choose the Fairfield Inn. Would I recommend this place, probably not, unless you don't need WiFi, and don't care if you aren't close to town.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Residence Inn Holland, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I apologize deeply for the lack of service you received on your trip your last stay. This isn't consistant with my staff and how we handle our guests on a routine basis. I admit our wireless is a huge issue, but we're days from finishing the upgrade. All upgrades are done, we are just waiting for the go ahead on turning it on and making sure it's stable for our guests use. I hope you will give us one more chance the next time you are in town. I assure you will have a MUCH better experience. Please email me directly if you would like to discuss your experience further or to let me know the next time you'll be in town at chris.blondin@marriott.com
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I have to admit, driving from Chicago to Holland I told my husband.."be prepared to pull off the comforter from the bed when we get there." I am sort of a hotel snob and was not looking forward to staying, at what I thought, an out dated hotel. (based on the pictures online) We were going there for my sisters graduation.

To my surprise when we walked in I noticed how new it looked. This hotel is clean, fresh and newly remodeled! My husband said, "really, what is wrong with this?!?" I was a bit embarrassed to admit I was wrong and freaking out about nothing. :) The location is not walking distance to anything, but it is a quick ride to downtown Holland. The hotel staff was extremely friendly. If you are a family with children, this is the way to go.

Sorry Residence Inn Holland for doubting you! Someone should update the website with some better pictures.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Slago23
Chris B, General Manager at Residence Inn Holland, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Thank you for your review! We apreciate your feedback! We have been waiting for our new pictures to be put on our website, but have to wait for the approval. With reviews like yours, people will know to trust that our renovation is amazing, and our hotel looks practically new! Thanks for choosing the Residence Inn Holland!!
Troy, MI
Reviewed April 30, 2012

we stayed here just one night (late April). The hotel appears to be really new or recently renovated. Were greeted warmly by front desk who also had warm cookies waiting! 10 year old daughter was impressed as well as I! our room was beautiful. the couch was comfy and modern. flat screen TVs. we enjoyed microwave popcorn which was free. the bed was sooo comfy, I cannot remember sleeping that good. also breakfast was awesome. we didnt want to leave. Lobby is beautiful and inviting. there is an adorable outdoor area with a grill and seating. we are going back this summer when we can enjoy the beach and will surely stay here! thank you!

Room Tip: our room was awesome, 3rd floor, king suite.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
USA
Reviewed March 24, 2012

Stayed for a weekend with the family. Requested a rollaway bed in my online reservation. Arrived at the hotel and it was already in the room, awaiting our arrival. Well done! Now that's customer service and a great example of a well-run operation.

Clean, comfortable and a perfect spot to enjoy the beautiful charm of Holland and nearby Saugatuck.

For families with kids, they now have flat panel TVs with easy inputs in the back to connect an external movie source (you need to being the AVI or HDMI cable to do so). There are also no more in-room movie offerings, so if you bring your own you can take advantage of this. We downloaded several onto our iPad via the free WI-Fi while we were out for the day and they were waiting for us upon our return. A great convenience and cost saver compared to traditional in-room movie selections.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family