“Very good”

Crane's In The City
Ranked #2 of 9 Dessert in Holland
Cuisines: American
Description: This restaurant opened July, 2010 in the downtown area. Everything is homemade with local ingredients; desserts made with Michigan fruit. Wonderful!
Reviewed September 24, 2012

En visiting Cranes in the city I found the atmosphere to be very nice. It was very old-fashioned looking. The food was prepared homemade and ready for you when you arrive. All of the fruit use their is from the orchard in Fennville Michigan, Which is about 25 minutes away from Holland. They have a variety of different selections on the menu such as, pies, pastries, coffee, sandwiches and, much more. This is a great family friendly place to visit while in downtown holland

Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stopped here for ice cream one day on a whim. Very friendly and the ice cream was out of this world. Looking forward to trying their lunch menu (and pies!).

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We were interested in checking out this place because of a trip report someone had written for the MI forum, and had included Crane's in the City with a wonderful description. We were camping in South Haven, and decided on our way home on a Monday evening, we would stop here in Holland for our ice cream treat, specifically, Donut Sundaes.

So, off we went, and finding it was easy. Since we were pulling a camper, and it was after hours, we were able to park in the bank parking lot, a few doors down and behind Crane's. If it were during the day, it would have been tough finding any place to park.

We entered the business and we were told they were closed! NO!! I think I actually groaned and stated that "NO" pretty loudly. This older gentlemen worker looked pretty funny at me, and I told him we had come from South Haven, on our way home to Bay City, and had detoured off in Holland just to have a Donut Sundae. He immediately told us he'd make us one and it would be no bother. I told him no, that was okay, but he insisted. So, of course, we didn't argue and let him!! He was so very nice to us, chatted with us, and even when we tipped him more than what would be normal, he insisted we should not do so and asked if we were sure about it. Wow, great service. I wish I had caught his name.

That sundae was do darn good. We were both happy with our sundaes and will return next summer while camping in Holland. I am so glad they have opened a place in Holland, as we have visited their apple farm/cider mill/restaurant in Fennville and loved it.

The place is in a old building and is esthetically pleasing. They offer deli items/sandwiches, etc., though I didn't get a good look at the menu. Lots of ice cream. Get the Donut Sundae, you won't be sorry. The place looked very clean, and we ate our sundaes outside at one of their tables. The young man was so very patient with us and another group of people, who were still sitting at their tables, when he was trying to bring those said tables and chairs inside for the night. Lovely being in downtown Holland. We'll be back!

Prices fair; parking tight-on street or lots behind town.

2  Thank tymetraveler222
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Cranes has great pies and a very casual atmosphere. It is a great place to relax with children. Get them a frozen cider pop....You (and they) will not regret it.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

light and perfect summer meal for a family. dessert is a must to have apple spice donuts. Located in the center of a nice shopping plaza.