“unsanitary and unfriendly staff.”

WoodSpring Suites Grand Rapids Holland
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Holland
Holland, Michigan
“unsanitary and unfriendly staff.”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I realy regret checking into this place. First night the room looked ok but i imediatly noticed roaches in the room. Not something i am pleased to see in the shower befoure work. The staff seem nice at first but talked badly about residance in front of other residence. I will be contacting a friend of mine from the heath department to scudual an inspection. I have video and photo records datestamped and geotagged to ensure protection against retaliation. I do not recomend this to anybody. It has potential but is poorly managed and roaches are known to cause health problems.

Room Tip: Just spend a few extra to enjoy a better place
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank blaster2012
Heather L, Guest Relations Manager at WoodSpring Suites Grand Rapids Holland, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
We take all feedback very seriously. We looked in to the issues you wrote about and could not find any evidence of bug activity. We strive to provide the cleanest and safest environment possible for our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 2, 2013

If you value your sanity, you wont stay here.
The Corporate manager Jake that is filling in is like a tyrant. He threatens to throw you out or have you arrested. The previous manager was friendly and worked with you. This guy screams and belittles his staff when the rolling door is down. Everyone is terrified of him. When you ask a question about your bill, he says, I'm not gona argue with you, you pay this amount or you have one hour to leave or be arrested.
They wont salt the sidewalks, people fall everyday here. If you ask Jake he says, I am not mother nature what do you want me to do.
There is no extra towels available ever. Apparently the owner of the hotel doesnt like to spend money so we rewash our own towels.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Barbara M
Heather L, Guest Relations Manager at WoodSpring Suites Grand Rapids Holland, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Please respond with a private email if you have questions about your bill that are not being answered. We strive to offer our guests comfort and peace of mind at Value Place and apologize your stay did not meet those goals.
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I have recently had a terrible exprience at the ValuePlace in Holland Michigan. I called and the girl on the phone made it seem like she was giving me a great deal and wasn't charging me a deposit. I was charged $226.00 for the week. I spent the first day and night (Monday) with out a working light in the bathroom. The floor in the bathroom and kitchen were filthy! I found roaches in the kictchen! So, I called front desk and told them, I also told them how sticky and dirty the floor was and asked if they would swap out the towels because I was going to use them to clean the floors. I went to front desk to exchange towels and see what they would do about the roaches, no apologies were given! Instead the girl got defensive and told me that sometimes if they use to much cleaner the floors get sticky. The towels were dark brown and black from all the dirt I cleaned up! I called again and asked about roach spray,i was told maintaince has it and will do it in am. Why not aplogize and offer another room?! Day four, I went to the front desk to find a different girl working, so I asked her if they had sprayed for the roaches and asked her what they could do. She was very rude and again no apology! She acted like I was lying and told me that this is the first time she has heard of roaches in that room. I told her that moths were in my shower as well and I was very concerned they( the roaches) would get in my things and I didnt want to take them with me.Nothing was said or done! So after a long week at a new job, my six year old daughter and I wake up early on saturday to roaches all over the kitchen walls (we took pictures) and I was hoping on relaxing today! I called extension 500 for someone to come look and spray but I was just hung up on! We aren't eating in or hanging out in the room due to the situation! I would've liked another room or a refund so we could've went somewhere clean and bug free! I've worked in the hospitality industry for over 15 years myself, and I'm mainly upset over the lack of concern or resolution! Wish I had a good experience and could've stayed for the month. But I dont feel comfortable in this environment with my family and now I feel forced to find somewhere else to go.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Tonya S
Heather L, Manager at WoodSpring Suites Grand Rapids Holland, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Value Place prides itself on maintaining a clean and safe environment for our guests. I apologize that your stay did not meet those expectations. We have scheduled service with a pest control company to investigate this issue. Please send the pictures you took so we can look into this further.

Value Place Management
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Jen and Nicole went over and beyond to ensure me a great stay! Handicap room was very convenient. I will recommend to my friends. Very affordable and easy access to shopping and my friends. Rooms were very clean and handicap friendly. Very convenient to all locations that I wanted. Grounds were kept up and really clean.

Room Tip: get reservations as soon as possible.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Holland, Michigan
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Please be aware when staying at this hotel. The staff is very unfriendly and DO NOT do their jobs. Most of the time they are complaining about their pay and their general duties. I stayed here and my smoke alarm was blaring through the night I COULD NOT reach ANYONE after 45 minutes of the alarm going off I started to wonder what would really happen if there was a fire, would I die? Also I was in 3 different rooms that were INFESTED with bed bugs. Was totally shocked because this hotel was super clean. The photos I have could be of some use to the local news I'm sure. This place is constantly having a BRAND NEW staff every month or so. Also if you have children please keep them away from here! My 5 yr old was so badly bitten by bed bug we thought he had chicken pox until we took him to the doctor then we searched our room and sure enough an infestation was in our bed and head boards. Also they allow sex offenders and felons to reside here even though they state in the policy that its strictly forbidden. Over all the stay was a nightmare and they will chance the prices on you EVERY week and if you dont like it they pretty much tell you to efff yourself. THIS STAFF SHOWS NO COMPASSION AT ALL!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mariah105
SeaTac, Washington
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I've stayed at many hotels across the US, and I can easily say this is one of the best. I've been here for one month and plan to stay at least one more. In addition to being clean to almost a military standard (they even wash the blankets and bedspreads), it is very well managed. The staff is consistently professional and attentive. Having dealt with many hotels, I'm used to sometimes having to deal with staff who just don't really care about their jobs. It's the opposite here. They wear uniforms and perform their duties very efficiently. While relaxed and very friendly, security is also taken seriously, and I feel very safe here. It is uncommon for a place this inexpensive to keep standards consistently this high. Smoking is kept in a designated area so it's not blowing into the windows, and there are no drunks or dealers wandering around. The staff do regular patrols through the building and lots 24 hours a day, which prevents this type of thing from happening--which is usually a problem in inexpensive hotels. I haven't seen the police here at all in the last month. I like the fact that they are able to keep the place safe and comfortable for everyone while being very friendly as well. That's not always an easy thing to do. I think the ability to balance the two is a great reflection on the management as well as the staff. In addition to being inexpensive and very well managed, it's also one of the best locations I've seen--relative to what's nearby. There are two grocery stores across the street, Target and Walmart are a short walk, and the cabs are inexpensive and reliable. There's a mall across the highway, and pretty much anything I could ever need is immediately nearby. I almost moved into a regular apartment complex today, but decided that I just don't want to give this up. It's just an amazing deal, it's clean, safe, adjacent to everything, and gives me everything I need.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank MH M
Springdale, AR
Reviewed April 23, 2012

First off, I thought it wasn't such a bad deal when I made the reservation, when I arrived to my room I noticed the room had a strong odor, but assumed it must of been from their 99 cleaning process. Of course I could hear the door slam and people talk but it was still cheap. I only rented my room for a week and two days before I was scheduled to leave, Wednesday, I found out that the office was going to be closed for Good Friday. I spoke to a manager that same day and was told that there would still be somebody on call so I may check out and get my 100.00 deposit back. When it was time for my departure I called their after hour office number and the guy on the line asked me if I could wait till the next day to check out so I explained to him that I had a train to catch and I just needed to check out and get my deposit. After over 5 minutes of arguing with me on the phone he finally told me to call back when I'm ready to check out. I DID JUST THAT and he ignored all 15-20 of my calls. it was 7:30 am, nothing ridiculous. I had no choice but to leave the keys on the counter and take off because my train left at 8 am. It's been almost a month since my stay and after all those run around the staff pulled over the phone I barely got them to pull my file and I'll hopefully be getting my deposit soon, HOPEFULLY. Also about a week after I checked out my daughter showed symptoms of thrush, the doctor said she probably got it a little over a week ago. She just turned 8 months old and had never gotten thrush until then. Our stay at the Value Place, Holland, MI was the only environmental difference around her at that time. So if you plan on taking small children there, be weary about what she/he touches. Like I said, I thought the smell was from their cleaning process, but I'm not too sure if they actually clean or just make it look clean. So over all service was terrible, value was descent, sleep was o.k, cleanliness seemed good, but wasn't, room was convenient; came with small stove, fridge, and microwave

Room Tip: don't stay too close to the main door, my room was right next to it and all I heard was people c...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo