“Worst Hotel Ever!!!!!!!!!!”

WoodSpring Suites Grand Rapids Holland
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Holland
Reviewed June 15, 2011

First let me start by telling everyone I never write reviews and this is the first one I have ever writen.
- The beds are hard as a rock
- I requested non-smoking and after trying a couple of rooms, I was still put in a room that smelled like an ash trey
- The Male night manager is a "PSYCHO", I am the most non-confrontational person and he went nuts yelling at me when I broght my concerns to his attention. Plus I saw him yelling at another guest while leaving the building another day. I'm not sure how he is not fired yet.
- There are odd noises and banging pipe noises that will keep you awake all hours of the night
- They will hit you up with multiple hidden charges
Run away , don't walk from this hotel. Pay just a little more for a place that knows how to treat their guest

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
12  Thank Thomas_Edwards34515

Reviewed May 19, 2011

The room rates ate first appear affordable, but by the time you pay for the extras you get free at other hotel chains it's even. They do not have 24 hour hotel staff and staff is here seems to be away from the desk more often then available. The worst is the lack of sleep you do not need to slam a door for it to echo through all 4 floors. If it is the main room door it will shake the building. The have blinds instead of curtains so the room is lit up by the flashing neon sign and highway traffic in this area picks up at night with big rigs. This is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. The only good thing I can say about this Place is it is clean, but even that has it's negative it's clean but dingy and cheap. Plus if you rent a room here there are NO refunds! Please save yourself the headaches and go to a more peaceful service orientated place.

• Stayed: May 2011
9  Thank Bluecutlove
Reviewed December 24, 2010

I have been staying in value place, HOLLAND MI since Oct 18 2010 ( am a contrator on in Holland MI ) . when i called the motel to make a reservation and talked to the manager I was told that they have a monthly rate and asked if i would like to consider , which sounded like a good offer and so i took it . When i checked in, the single room i reservered was not available and so they gave me a double , but there was only one occupant . I was told that they will let me know when single room is available and that i could move then .

The trouble i had with this deal is as follows --
the next month when i went to renew the monthly rate i found the following - A monthly rate is for 4 weeks only ( 28 days ) and that the first months rate is less than the subsequent months rate . I wanted to move out to an apartment and wanted to continue for a week to find an apartment , then they said they can give me the same monthly rate.

now another month has past and a new manager has come in and is telling me that i have dues. Now i am asked to pay for all the rate discounts the previous manager has given me to persuade me to stay at Value place .

this is the most traumatic and embarassing experience i've had staying at value place .

These value stay places are tricky - make sure you have everything explained to you - if u are considering taking up any additional offers like monthly rates or something , absolutely make sure , that u are aware of what u are getting into . These places seems to be managed so poorly that they lack the professionalism at many of the more conventional hotels .

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
14  Thank Anarain
Reviewed November 9, 2010

Booked this hotel for a week in late October. The staff was friendly. Checkin was a little different than a normal hotel, but very easy. The facilities were all clean. The room was extremely clean. About the size of a typical 2* hotel room, small TV, kitchenette included sink, small microwave, and small stove top. Internet only worked with a 3' cord provided by the hotel (no wireless available). The room was a decent value from first look.

The front office is only open from 9-6:00. Be very careful where they assign your room. Request the room furthest from the door and preferably on the top floor. I was assigned a first floor room next to the door. The walls are paper thin, and guests come and go at all hours of the night. Each night I woke up at least one time (one night I was only able to sleep 2 hours) because of doors slamming, or people yelling - I'm normally a very heavy sleeper. Because the staff if only there 9-6, and I was working during those hours, it was extremely inconvenient, if not impossible to change rooms. In the mornings, I was awoken to vehicles being started and warmed up at arond 4:30.

The hotel policy says no pets, but I encountered two huge dogs being walked into the room and upstairs the last evening I was there - definately not a room I'd want. Great concept, and good prices - the noise drove me away though. I won't be back.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
6  Thank DEI2010
Reviewed May 11, 2010

The room was very clean.

The microwave was small. (It probably would hold a boxed microwave dinner from a grocery store.)

If you are a very light sleeper, request a room that is not on the front of the motel (which faces the highway).

The room phone does not appear to have a "messages," feature. So if you don't have dependable cellphone service or a way to remotely check your home answering machine for messages, and if there's a possibility someone will need to reach you during your stay, you might want to consider a different lodging place.

The TV did not receive some of the stations which were listed on the card in the room. For some such stations, there was an on-screen message about cable signal strength, or some such wording. However, reception of some stations was totally satisfactory.

I ranked the hotel's service as excellent because we had no problem with it. But we did not request anything special.

I ranked location as one level below excellent. That's not because we had any problem with the location. Downtown is driving distance away. But the hotel is near some restaurants (across the highway or a street, not on the hotel grounds) and some other shopping.

Our stay was during the Tulip Time Festival. The big sign outside the motel had a $209 price. But we had reserved our room at a lower price, we had our computer printout with us, and that lower price was honored without hassle.

Policy calls for a room inspection before checkout to get your $100 deposit back. So allow time for that inspection. If the front desk is not open, the guest calls the number 500 to speak to an attendant and obtain the inspection.

The bed's support is so constructed as to provide considerable storage space for suitcases, boxes or other items underneath.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Huskersfan
Heather L, Manager at WoodSpring Suites Grand Rapids Holland, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

We are delighted your overall experience at Value Place was a wonderful one. No matter what brings you to Value Place, you can count on a respectful, helpful and friendly team dedicated to keeping the Value Place promise to our guests. Thank you for lodging with us, we wish you well in your future travels and if you're ever in need of an extended stay, we hope you'll choose Value Place!

Reviewed May 8, 2009

I could not get over the fact of how clean the hotel is. the staff told me that the carpets get steamed cleaned between guests and everything in the room gets washed. The manager will give you free internet if you ask. I stayed at Econlodge and Days Inn in Holland before and they both were dirty and noisy. I would Stay at Value Place in Holland again!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank travelguy85

We are pleased to hear your overall stay with us was grand! Because our Studio Attendants follow checklists of simple, thorough and effective housekeeping practices, they know they're making a difference to each and every guest—as well as to the Value Place employees who live onsite and whose job it is to ensure that we're upholding our superior cleaning standards. Thank you for staying with us, we wish you well in your future travels and if you're ever in need of an extended stay, we hope you'll choose Value Place!

Reviewed January 27, 2009

they advertise 189/week,but it will cost us about $250 to $300/week.if you buy internet,and all extra..no service for one week is kind of bad.t.v is very tiny.
better to go to other brand hotel and get weekly rate if possible and get free wi-fi,micro/refrigarator,sofabeds and big tv with HBO and all premium tv chennel.ok for just sleep and do not think any thing else,which i can do while staying home.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank anyoneohio