“Delicious chowder”
Review of Boatwerks

Boatwerks
Ranked #8 of 240 Restaurants in Holland
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Boatwerks Waterfront Restaurant is Holland's only waterfront restaurant! The indoor dining room and Runabout Lounge feature picturesque views of Lake Macatawa on three sides, or enjoy outdoor dining and unbeatable views from the outdoor patio and bar during warmer months. The New American Menu features fresh seafood and premium meats, with a focus on fresh preparations and quality produce. The building's design features exposed beams and brick, harkening back to the historic boat-building factories that lined the shore of Lake Macatawa in earlier days. The restaurant walls are lined with historic photos of Lakes Michigan and Macatawa and historic Holland, Michigan. The Boatwerks Event Center features the beautiful, 3,300-square-foot Black River Ballroom and an outdoor courtyard, suitable for weddings and family or corporate events of up to 300 people. Make your dining plans for Boatwerks Restaurant in Holland, Michigan today!
Reviewed October 3, 2013

If the weather allows, sit outside. It's really a wonderful eating area. Our group enjoyed the chowder, prime rib, shrimp, and perch. The "wild" mushroom crostini was disappointing.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

First, they DO take reservations. Says so on the website and they took mine.

Went here for lunch today with 3 colleagues. The views were excellent, the food was very good, the service was average to fair. They type all the orders into a handheld device and the process is SLOW. Too slow.

Patio looked nice. I hear the dinner menu is even better.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

We ate at Boatwerks on a busy Saturday night around 8:00. We had a 35 minute wait, but we are used to far longer, so it wasn't a big deal. The place was full - every table with a crowd out front. There is an option to wait in the bar, but we didn't - not really our scene. The restaurant uses a cell phone text-based system for waiting, so no matter where you are, you will know when your table is ready. When we were called to our table, however, it wasn't clean yet and we waited while standing near the table. The waitress made no attempt to hide her dislike of the bus staff.

My wife had the Sole San Juan with a house salad, which she describes as amazing. I wasn't terribly hungry, so I just had the nine-layer dip appetizer. It was more than enough to make a meal for me. The tortilla chips were better than average and were good without the dip.

The view here, even from inside, is beautiful. The seating is tiered so that all tables have a view out the glass wall over Lake Macatawa. We saw a few boats going by, but I am sure in the summer there are many more. The lighting was low but acceptable.

About the service: throughout the meal, the waitress never really seemed in any hurry to take care of us. The table next to us had a party of 10-ish. One guy didn't get his food until the others were done eating. The manager seemed to take care of the situation, but it disappointing from our seat.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I travel a lot and usually try to eat at non-chain restaurants. This place looked like it would be worth a try.
The food was very good. I started with the Seafood Chowder. Lots of seafood and very rich. It was as good as it gets away from the coasts.
For the entree, I ordered the Mac and Cheese with kielbasa. Wonderfully crunchy top, creamy penne and cheese and more kielbasa than you would expect. I am a big eater so I ordered the large, but it was more than I could eat. It was wonderful, but huge.
The true highlight was the service. I felt well-attended to without being smothered. When the mac n cheese came I was not quite done with the chowder. Rather than rush me or crowd the table, the server cheerily offered to keep it warm in the back until I was really ready for it. Most places just scoot stuff around and set it there instead of doing the extra work. Kudos to the management for the excellent training the staff receives. It pays off.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We had a group of eight and waited for an outside table on a very busy summer Friday evening. We waited for a looong time. They would not take a reservation. We were told they had a table in mind, that the patrons had long ago finished their meals, but were chatting and enjoying the evening, which was understandable. Finally, a large enough accomodation was found and we were seated right at the corner of the outdoor area with a beautiful view of Lake Macatawa....worth it.

My dish was a chicken stirfry, the half order, which was very filling and tasty. Prepared for me, not something microwaved or reheated. Very good.

I would love to go back with my husband and eat a little later in the evening for a romantic dinner...this is the place. I would suggest about 7:30 - 8:00 pm.