“Great stay”

CityFlatsHotel - Holland
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Holland
Reviewed October 10, 2013

A big city quality hotel in a small town setting. Loved the design of the room and the cleanliness all around. Staff was friendly and helpful. Holland itself is great and there are plenty of places nearby to visit. There are some hotels in the city that aren't even this nice. Free lot parking is a plus too.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dave W, Public Relations Manager at CityFlatsHotel - Holland, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Thank you for choosing CityFlatsHotel - Holland. We are very happy you had a nice stay and truly appreciate your review.

There are newer reviews for CityFlatsHotel - Holland

Reviewed October 8, 2013

If you are looking for something other than the traditional, City Flats is for you! I have stayed here several times and will continue to do so when in Holland (or Grand Rapids at their sister property). The decor is chic and "green". Very relaxing.
Each room is just a bit different than the others so it's always a pleasant surprise. The beds, pillows and linens are amazing. So soft, I hate to get out of bed while I am there. Bathrooms are great as well. European style showers and lots of room. Not cramped like most hotel bathrooms where you can barely shut the door once you're in.
Nice, large flat screen tv with DirecTV access.
Nice lobby and bar with some selections of local brews. I was there for Thursday night live music and sushi! Restuarant, meeting facilities and a theater room all on-site as well.

Location is great. Walking distance to great restaurants, shops and Hope College. It's also only a 10 minute drive to Holland State Beach Park - beautiful beach and Big Red (lighthouse).

There is free coffee and a small continental breakfast Mon - Fri. For the price of the rooms, I'd love to see them expand their breakfast offering a bit, both in variety and to provide it over the weekend. Also, an in-room coffee maker would be nice for that first cup before showering.

For the most part the staff is very professional and accomodating. They could step it up a bit, though as I don't see consistency in their efforts.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
cityflats, Public Relations Manager at CityFlatsHotel - Holland, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Thank you so much for your review and your wonderful comments. We really appreciate the feedback and are happy you had such a lovely time on your last visit. We are currently looking into our breakfast options and what we can do to make it stand out. I will also pass your comments on to our management team. Thanks again!

Reviewed October 3, 2013

This was our second visit to this hotel. We were in the area for a wedding and decided to stay here again. It's a very nice hotel, very trendy, in a great location - just steps from restaurants, shopping, and the beach!

Room Tip: My only complaint about this stay at the hotel was that we were in a room directly underneath the re...
1  Thank weekendgetaways010
cityflats, Public Relations Manager at CityFlatsHotel - Holland, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Thank you for choosing CityFlatsHotel again. Your review is appreciated, and has been passed along to our team. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Reviewed October 3, 2013

I can't say anything bad about this hotel. I loved how chic and modern it was. The location was a block from downtown,everything in walking distance. Not to mention there is a walking path called Windows to the Waterfront just a block away. The bed was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept on. I loved the sliding doors to the bathroom commode and from the shower to the soaking tub. Considering this is a green hotel with low flow fixtures the shower pressure was amazing! There were plenty of towels and makeup remover towelettes which was a nice touch. I was a little disappointed there was no coffee maker in the room but there was a free continental breakfast w/coffee in the lobby so it was no biggie. We had dinner at the City
Vue Bistro on the top floor. The food was delicious and our server Cynthia was awesome,she gave us great info about places to visit. We liked it so much we went back to watch the sunset on the patio w/a pitcher of Sangria. We also visited the City Sen bar after dinner one evening and Dave the bartender couldn't have been nicer, especially since he was busy and my husband ordered a muddled drink and I know what a pain they are to make. I've been to alot of places where the bartender will get snippy about those kind of drinks when they're busy but not here! The lobby had 2 unusual looking bikes you could rent and since there are bike lanes everywhere that might be fun. This was our first trip to Michigan and we loved City Flats so much we're talking about when we can go back.

Room Tip: I stayed in a Jr Suite which was perfect
1  Thank Chilady1t

Thank you for your review! So happy to hear you had such lovely time at our hotel and exploring Holland. We hope to see you again in the future, safe travels!

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I stayed here for a business trip based on the recommendation of the colleague I was visiting. This seemed to be a 5 star hotel upon arriving, but after staying I found many things that could be improved.

Pros:
1. The location is incredible. The hotel is located a block from downtown Holland so you can pretty much walk to anything you need in less than 10 minutes.
2. The rooms are all different so each time you stay you will have a different experience. This could also be a con, as you will see in my con list for room 310.
3. The staff was very friendly and professional.
4. There is a simple, but included, continental breakfast. You can also choose to have breakfast in the upstairs CityVū Bistro, but that is not included.
5. I suppose this is a pro, but you can have the sound from the TV play in the bathroom. I suppose this is a nice feature for sports fanatics that need an extended bathroom stay or shower when the game is in session.

Neutral:
1. The price is appropriate.
2. There is no pool or hot tub. Some may care, some may not.

Cons:
1. I stayed in room 310. At first the layout was really neat and the furniture was modern chic. However, I like to unwind after my long day doing emails and watching TV. Unfortunately, the TV was literally above the desk, so if you use your computer on the desk you were about 5 inches from the TV screen. I ended up with my laptop on my lap on the office chair. I realize that many standard hotels have the desk to the side of the TV, but this hotel has free range to design the room from scratch and I found this design to be short sighted.
2. The shower had very low water pressure.
3. There is no coffee maker in the room. I find this to be a basic comfort for both morning and evening. I realize the CityBrü is downstairs, but for their guests, a simple coffee maker would be appreciated.
4. For me this was a big con; the mattress was very soft. I sleep on a firm mattress so it was not as comfortable as a neutral mattress found in most hotels.

I will probably stay here again, mostly for the amazing location and to see a different room design, however, it would be nice to see my 2nd and 3rd cons resolved.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank psudino

Thank you very much for your review. Your comments have been passed on to our team so we can see what changes we can make to better the guest experience. As for some of your cons, I think I might be able to help upfront. The TV in room 310 is on a swivel base, you are able to turn it to face the couch so you don't have to be at the desk or bed to watch it. I also think that the poor water pressure in the shower may have come from the shower head. I will make sure our maintenance department looks into it. Thank you again for both your compliments and concerns, we hope you stay with us again in the future and have a perfect stay!

Reviewed September 20, 2013

My sister and I stayed here during her visit to Michigan. Wonderful service and very clean and up to date. We enjoyed that it was in walking distance to many restaurants, breweries and shopping. Will stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Luann D
cityflats, Public Relations Manager at CityFlatsHotel - Holland, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Thank you for choosing us and writing a review! It is great to be so close to all the things that make downtown Holland so much fun. We look forward to seeing you and your sister again. Cheers!

Reviewed September 19, 2013

This hotel is truly an unexpected find in Holland, Michigan. It is in a great location, a block from the quaint shops and restaurants of 8th street. The rooms are extremely well designed and the bed is to die for. The restaurant on the top of the hotel is also quite good.

1  Thank distew

Thank you for choosing CityFlatsHotel! Our restaurant, CityVu Bistro, is constantly changing menus based upon seasonality of ingredients, so you may come back and find a whole new menu to enjoy! We look forward to seeing you again! Safe travels.