“Eco-friendly hotel, great rooms, great location”

CityFlatsHotel - Holland
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Holland
Milford Center, Ohio
“Eco-friendly hotel, great rooms, great location”
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Most of the hotels in Holland are on Route 31, next to the shopping centers but quite far from downtown. CityFlats is right in downtown Holland, within walking distance of all the restaurants & shops downtown, which we really liked. The rooms are very modern and interesting, which is a nice change from the usual chain hotel design & style. I loved having a view of downtown Holland out the window, instead of looking at an interstate like most hotels. The beds were large and comfortable. I liked how the large flat-screen TV swiveled between the bed & the seating area. The bathroom and shower were better than any hotel I've ever stayed at.

My quick thoughts on being "environmentally friendly" - many hotels are adopting resource-saving policies, like reducing their laundry loads or installing dual-flush toilets. These measures are great, and I applaud them. But CityFlats, in both its design and operation, goes well beyond what any chain could possibly do. I've seen "LEED" sprinked on hotel literature at other places, but don't let it fool you. As of today, there are only 100 LEED-certified hotels in the United States, and only 41 of those are LEED Gold-certified, like CityFlats.

Two negatives: one, it's expensive. Two, it doesn't have a pool. However, if you're staying in Holland and want experience downtown small-city life, CityFlats can't be beat.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DPRoberts
cityflats, General Manager at CityFlatsHotel - Holland, responded to this review, November 19, 2011
Dear DP Roberts,

Thank you for your kind remarks! I will pass along to our staff your comments, we appreciate it. Our designers worked very hard to create a unique feel and comfort level for you, our guests. Thank you for noticing all the hard work and dedication to providing Holland a downtown property that is as unique as the city. We also take great pride in being one of the only Gold LEED certified hotels in the Midwest.

Thanks again for staying with Cityflats Hotel in Holland! If your travels bring you to the Grand Rapids area, please check out our new facility in the heart of downtown.

Stuart VerHoef

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Love this place, quiet, wonderful firm beds, spa-like showers, eco-friendly design. A haven in Western Michigan.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank docpoet
Dear Docpoet,

Elgin, Illinois
Reviewed October 6, 2011

I stayed here with my husband, 1 year old, and dog on the way home from a camping trip. The hotel is clean and beautiful. Everything is new and the service was spectacular. The staff let us keep our bikes in their storage area and even helped us take them inside. We ordered room service right away because it was fairly late and the food (which was delicious!) came in about 15 minutes. I love this place! Oh, and the sheets were the most comfortable, softest sheets I've ever slept on. Thought about buying them, but they were outside my budget! The rates are totally reasonable-about $150 during the week. It's also right downtown so you can walk to get breakfast or a beer at the brewery in about 2 minutes. I would recommend this hotel without hesitation. I will happily visit Holland, MI again just to stay here!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Beth H
cityflats, General Manager at CityFlatsHotel - Holland, responded to this review, October 7, 2011
Dear Beth H,

Thank you for your kind remarks! I will pass along to our staff your comments, we appreciate it. We also appreciate your thoughts and feedback regarding the rooms and the hotel in general. We take great pride in being one of the only Gold LEED certified hotels in the Midwest. It also sounds like you got a chance to explore the downtown district of Holland with its great shopping, dining and unique culture.

We hope to see you again in the not so distant future. Thanks again for staying with us!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed October 5, 2011

My husband and I took a week long vacation to Holland, MI. We were drawn to the city for 2 reasons, the hotel, and the nearby brewery. We absolutely loved our stay. The hotel was gorgeous; our room was phenomenal (room 312). The shower was ridiculously awesome! The bathtub was great as well! The robe and slippers were a nice cozy touch. The bed was also surprisingly comfortable. The small patio was nice, but no chairs left it less enjoyable.
The location was perfect for our relaxing trip. We were within walking distance of New Holland Brewery and a lot of other little stores,restaurants, and coffee joints to explore. We headed out to a nearby beach a couple of times. Overall we had one of the best vacations together. Relaxing, accommodating, surprisingly fulfilling. Oh, and that restaurant on the top of the hotel..... Delightful!

Room Tip: 312 if you're looking to spoil yourself a little ;)
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mirico
Dear Mirico,

Thank you for your kind remarks! I will pass along to our staff your comments, we appreciate it. We take great pride in being one of the only Gold LEED certified hotels in the Midwest. The hotel proves that you don’t have sacrifice style and comfort, all the while, doing our part for the environment. We are glad that you also had a chance to explore the city of Holland, it is truly a hidden gem.

Kuerten
Reviewed October 4, 2011

I stayed there several times and I always like to come back. Stylish and well designed rooms that you do not really expect in a smaller city in Michigan. The hotel has a LEED Gold certificaion and a perfect location close to 8th street and everything downtown. Wonderful and clean city and walking distance to Lake Macatawa too. Ample parking space for free and a good fitness room. The only thing that really bothers me is the train that always honks the horn at night. Annoying, but the very friendly staff always helped me with a coffee after the train woke me up.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank huxley_war_gestern
Dear huxley-war-gestern,

Thank you for your kind remarks! I want to apologize for the train noise that you encountered durring your stay. I will also pass along to our staff your comments, we appreciate it. We also appreciate your thoughts and feedback regarding the rooms and the hotel in general, it helps us to improve for your future stays.

Northampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 25, 2011

I stayed here on Sept. 19/11 for a business trip. I arrived at 9:30pm. Everything was closed and I hadn't eaten all day. This is a wonderful hotel with gorgeously appointed modern rooms. Almost more than I had hoped for in a small town. Also, ecologically acclaimed. 2 things I would improve. 1 -- in addition to the pastry selection available to late night travellers since everything closes so early, have a selection of healthy food, maybe a sandwich or salad. Also, given the ecological focus of this hotel, there should be recycle bins in each room. Everything else was perfect. I would highly recommend this hotel. It is a true hidden gem.

Room Tip: Ask for a king sized bed
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Gee557
cityflats, General Manager at CityFlatsHotel - Holland, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Dear Gee557,

I want to apologize for the food choices that you encountered upon check in. We also appreciate your thoughts and feedback regarding the rooms and the hotel in general, it helps us to improve for your future stays. I will be letting our food and beverage team know about your request for healthier options.

Please do contact me directly to further discuss the situation at your leisure, my number is 616.796.2102.

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed September 14, 2011

We stayed one night at CityFlats on our way up to the UP. We enjoyed our stay so much that I considered changing our plans for the rest of the trip! Their location is perfect- just a short block to downtown Holland, which is positively adorable. Parking is easy and check-in was a breeze, but my favorite part of our stay was the unbelievably thoughtful design of our room. We were traveling with a baby, and found our room fit our needs perfectly- lots of space for a pack n' play, plenty of room for suitcases and diaper bags, and even a large "foyer" area where she could sleep in darkness while we worked at the desk/watched tv. The shower was fantastic (and had speakers!) AND, this was possibly the MOST clean hotel room I've ever stayed in. We've stayed at plenty of five star hotels and I have particularly high standards- but felt very comfortable here. Great hotel!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are designed differently- ask to change if you're not thrilled with the first o...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank LOfallenVE
cityflats, General Manager at CityFlatsHotel - Holland, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
Dear LOfallenVE,

Thank you for your kind remarks! I will pass along to our staff your comments, we appreciate it. Thank you for recognizing our superb housekeeping department and the hard work that they put in day in and day out. We take great pride in being one of the only Gold LEED certified hotels in the Midwest. The hotel proves that you don’t have sacrifice style and comfort, all the while, doing our part for the environment.