“Cars Cars Cars Old and some newer”
Review of Gilmore Car Museum

Gilmore Car Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: The ever expanding Gilmore Car Museum, hailed as one of the Top Five car museums in the nation, features over nearly extraordinary cars and motorcycles from all eras. The Automotive Heritage Center (about 150 vehicles) is Open daily year-round. The outdoor park-like campus of historic buildings (including 1930s gas station, working 1940s diner and several exhibit sturctures)are open April - Novemember.Museum exhibits range from cars of the 1890s to the classic Duesenberg, the elusive 1948 Tucker, to the muscle cars of the ‘60s and ‘70s. Located just off M-43 at Hickory Road near Hickory Corners (20 minutes northeast of Kalamazoo, MI)
Reviewed September 15, 2013

This car museum rates up there with the best. In my opinion second only to the Auburn, Cord & Duesenburg Museum in Auburn, In. We (Yes my wife too) had a great time. Almost every brand name from the start of car production in 1896. Wonderfully restored cars and example of some that have not been touched. I liked the Car names and years were high enough to see when you took a picture. Had lunch in a 50's diner. Very well organized and good facilities. There was a car rally there that Sunday so there had to be 400 to 500 cars on show too. Great day.

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"out of the way"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I visited there 20+ years ago and was so surprised to see the changes. It was a great experience and included the diner at the museum.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

My husband and I had a vacation day and knew we were heading to MI, but we were not exactly sure what to do. We stopped at the tourist center and saw a brochure for this museum. Since my husband is a car guy this was right up his alley and I of course put a smile on and said lets go.

It was about 1 1/2 hours total from the IN & MI state line. Easy drive to get there.

We were pleasantly surprised by this museum! I have to say we had a great day. There are many many cars to see and a lot of different period type of items as well. There are several (i don't remember how many) barns on the property with cars and items in everyone of them. You just stroll from barn to barn looking at all the cars and memorabilia.

I really liked the hood ornament display. They have a display in 2 buildings with these. Very nice collection. My husband was impressed with the Hudson Hornet and the Tucker. He finally saw a Tucker in person.

Helpful hint: The only bathroom, other than in the main building, is in the gas station. Also, bring a bottle of water for your walk. The only place to get something to drink is the diner. We started on the furthest location from the diner and I was thirsty and couldn't find a thing to drink until we got to the diner. Many building to see before we got to the diner.

I would recommend this museum! We had a very good day here.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

My wife & I were en route to the Henry Ford Museum when we saw a small sign, "Gilmore Car Museum," beside the 2 lane hwy we were taking. We decided, knowing nothing about it, to drive the 5 miles to see what it was like. We spent most of the day there, and loved every minute of it. It is, without doubt, the finest collection and the best presented collection I have ever seen. It is a must see if you like cars. Do not fail to travel even long distances to see this. It is beautiful, and I guarantee that you will love it.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Fully expecting a dusty dank showcase of old cars I was delightfully surprised to see a beautiful farm like property with immaculate buildings and landscape set out next to a cornfield. Each building held cars that are show stoppers! There are millions of dollars worth of vehicles in these exhibits. And the exhibits themselves are clean and quite remarkably staged. Wear a pair of comfortable walking shoes. This place is huge with great walking paths to/from each building. You get the feel of living in the slower paced era of the 1930's or 40's. They have regularly scheduled activities through the summer. You'd need to check their website. But overall it was a wonderful stop and I would definitely go again (with more comfortable shoes).

1  Thank Edie R