“Friends at the cottage”
Review of American Host Inn

American Host Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hart
American Host Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hart B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We had some extra guests at the summer place and decided to move out and let them enjoy. It was our first stay and didn't know what to expect, Don & Jan exceeded our expectations as great hosts. Their friendly attitude and interest in making our stay great really made the inconvenience a wonderful time. We've visited the area every year since we were married, a longer time than I want to admit, I would gladly stay again and offer the Inn to guests. They really care.

Room Tip: Make the reservation early.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Our overnight stay was great! The beds were very comfortable, nice bedding, clean room. Our room had a recliner in it which made it even better since my husband sleeps in his recliner at home. I do not know if all rooms have recliners but every room I looked in on our way out had one. Yes, there are signs around reminding you to be polite but that is perhaps a sign of our times. People just aren't as thoughtful it seems anymore. We personally like to be able to sleep peacefully in our paid room...not listening to loud conversation, TV's, parties down the hall. Don, the manager, went out of his way to help with luggage, get the air set for us, anything we needed. He had bikes to rent and a bike trail behind the hotel. There wasn't a pool or even a light breakfast offered there but we rarely make use of either anyway. There was a coffeepot and coffee in the room and a small fridge. We ate at the '60's restaurant across the parking lot which was okay. It felt cramped and somewhat disorganized. Food was good enough but service was SLOW!

Room Tip: This hotel is close to 31 but far enough to not hear the traffic.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Two night stay in mid-July(2012). Very good value compared to Silver Lake rates(half or less?) and only an 8-10 minute drive away. Also much better and cheaper breakfast available in Hart(place in town on the left(?) better than the one next door which is OK.
Host couple very friendly and service oriented. Rooms ample, quite clean and towels plushy!(no, we didn't take one)
Full-house, parking a little tight. Very good gas/convenience store/quick food, back over 27 on right, on way to Silver Lake. Didn't get eat at restaurant next door to Gas/Conven. but told it is very good.
If you are here and don't have a Burger at Brown Bear in Pentwater or Ice Cream(AppleDumpling ala mode) at Country Dairy(New Era) why the heck did you come?
We will definately stay at this property again!

Room Tip: I prefer ground floor close to doors but that's just me
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This hotel is okay. Period. The rooms were clean, but very plain and bland. They seemed like the most cheaply built and furnished rooms of any hotel I have ever stayed in. There was a mini fridge as stated, but it is very small and good for a few cans of pop but not too much else. There are a few oddities such as unwrapped McDonald's coffee cups for the rooms cups (strange), white towels but older, frayed red washcloths (I will not use a hotel washcloth that hasn't been bleached-yuck), and a toilet plunger sitting on a towel between the toilet and sink (kind of gross!), and at least two plug-in room freshners that made the room smell weird. We had to unplug the one in the wall because it gave my son a headache. The one hidden on the floor under the head of the bed (and discovered when retrieving a superball) we couldn't do much about. I personally would prefer to walk into a hotel room that just smells clean rather than covered up.

I had read previous reviews regarding the atmosphere of this hotel, but it didn't mean too much until we were actually there. My kids did not like this hotel primarily because of the atmosphere~ there are signs posted asking you to be quiet and tip toe up and down the stairs. There are signs posted regarding quiet time, which seems unusally long considering people are traveling and may need to get up and get going early in the morning. The signs tell guests to report infractions of quiet time. There was also something about the owners calling the police about smoking in the room and the extra fee (I think), and something about the owners reserving the right to inspect rooms to make sure extra guests are not in the room as well as their signs about the ice machine and purchasing ice. I don't know, but we just did not feel comfortable here. We felt like we were under surveillance. The kids were worried about having the TV too loud in the evening or having it on too late because our room neighbor (a senior citizen as were many of the guests) might report us. We felt like we had to sneak to get ice for our stuff that didn't fit into the fridge. Not a welcoming or comfortable atmosphere for a paying hotel guest.

7  Thank acadia3
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I stayed at this property based upon other TripAdvisor reviews. I was pleasantly pleased. Being a Mom-and-Pop run property, there are certain quirks that you may want to know about: First, there is a charge of $35 to make a room reservation. It is non-refundable, but is applied to your bill. And, they expect you to pay for your entire stay up front during the check in process.

The room was neat and clean. The commode was sporting one of those "Sanitized for your Protection" ribbons - something I hadn't seen in years. Air conditioning worked properly; there was a flat screen TV and a small refrigerator in the room. I would suggest you bring your own shampoo and bath soap as the ones provided were very very small and of dubious quality. The towels were very fluffy.

In the room is a sign telling all that the quiet hours were 11PM to 8AM - and I must confess the place was quiet. A restaurant of good quality is across the parking lot and open 7 days a week. Definitely worth the price (they have a sign out front proclaiming no price increase for five years). Would I stay there again? You bet.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so if you have heavy luggage or trouble climbing stairs, get the first floor.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Recently I was in Michigan and stayed at the American Host Inn for one night and it was lovely. The website made me think twice and I was so afraid that this was going to be a run-down, roach-infested hotel. Luckily, it was just the opposite! The owners were extremely nice and although they were strict about no smoking and no pets, the stay was wonderful. The beds were extremely comfortable and there was a microwave as well as a brand-new mini fridge. The room was clean and cozy. I specifically enjoyed how small and personal the experience was. I only wish that I was able to stay longer. It was great! And the location was wonderful too! There's a few stores and restaurants nearby as well as two gas stations. And not far down the road there is the Silver Lake State Park area where you can rent an ORV to ride the dunes.

Room Tip: There are only two floors and if you need service 24/7 or like large, fancy places then you will hav...
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We interacted with both owners, Don and Dar, and they were incredible warm and friendly people. To be sure, we we're blown away when we saw it. There is nothing that stands out about it from the outside but American Host provides everything you'll need. It's location is about 10 minutes from the Silver Lake Sand Dunes and only a couple minutes from Hart. A solid 50's style diner is right outside the front door. In our room there was a mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker. This doesn't have a 'chain' feel to it because you can see how much the owners want to make your stay comfortable. Great prices.

Room Tip: We were on the lower floor and could hear people walking around in the second floor a couple of time...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple