“Original Luigi's”

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Everything is great here! Lamb chops MMMMWWWAAAA. Pasta MMMWWWAAA. Pizza MMMMMMM so good. Service is great :)

1  Thank dcarlin2000
There are newer reviews for Luigi's

Reviewed July 7, 2012

A word of warning: manage your expectations.

Based on the vast majority of reviews here and on "yelp", we went here anticipating a great meal. Unfortunately, we were disappointed.

Where to begin?

First, what others described as the "small", "quaint" and "cozy" atmosphere struck us a dingy and grimy (the restrooms were indicative of this as well). It was also VERY loud, and conversation during our incomprehensibly long wait -- people drive for miles around and wait in line for THIS??? -- was nearly impossible; so much so, that we requested (and were willing to wait longer for) a table in the much quieter back room.

Next, the seating: the chairs are exceedingly uncomfortable (the chair backs are ram-rod straight and the chairs are small) and the tables so jammed together that the waitresses were constantly nearly crashing into each other or into patrons who unwittingly got in their way (this was not the waitresses' fault - the laws of physics dictate that only so much matter can fit into a given space, and the place is crammed).

Now, the food: despite a rough start to our visit, our hopes were still high for a wonderful meal. The bread basket arrived; the bread was soft, white and freshly baked; there were also crackers and bread stick - not fancy or exotic, but tasty. Next was salad; nothing special, very ordinary. Our entrees were lamb chops with spinach and feta (very good), linguini Alfredo with chicken (pasta drenched in a gloppy sauce with chunks of grilled chicken breast mixed in - really so-so at best) and a very disappointing pasta primavera. Our waitress told me that the primavera had broccoli, carrots and cauliflower - not the variety of vegetables I'd been hoping for, but good enough. Unfortunately, someone in the kitchen neglected to discard the moldy cauliflowerettes and instead included them in my dish. Yuck! I sent the dish back. The manager and waitstaff did their best with an awful situation - they offered another entree of my choice (I wish I'd gotten the lamb chops!!!and I asked for a simple angel hair pasta with tomato sauce, which was average, but not bad) at no charge. The manager (owner???) came over and apologized saying, "That never should have gone out of the kitchen like that," and I really appreciated that effort on his part, especially because they were very busy. However, the experience had already made such a negative impression on me that nothing could make up for it.

Pros: Generous serving sizes, including a never ending bread basket
Attentive, efficient and helpful waitstaff
The pizza(s) looked very good
I took our left over pastas home, mixed them, added some sauteed vegetables, and made a pretty good pasta, chicken and vegetable dish with "blush" sauce

Cons: Below average to average American Italian food
Crowded, uncomfortable seating
They let a really bad dish be prepared and served

In sum, as I said at first, manage your expectations. If you are satisfied with a run of the mill Italian American dining experience, go here. You won't be disappointed. If you're looking for more or a better dining experience, with Italian food like in Italy, try someplace else. My suggestion? Erie Street in Windsor, Ontario.

2  Thank Karen055
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Love it! Small and quaint. love the lamb chops! very good service.

1  Thank bob k
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I love this restaurant. From pizza and pasta to lamb chops and filet Rockefeller, this place knows how to do it. Even when I lived in Florida, Luigi's was the first place I came to when I visited. Keep it up! Awesome!

1  Thank Jay J
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Luigi's has the best italian food I have ever eaten. Everything is awesome. That's also why you can expect over an hour wait on Friday and Saturday nights. The place is very small but so worth the wait. That's why people actually wait that long to eat there. If it's nice outside, there is some outdoor benches available to wait.