“Love this place”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Harris
Island Resort & Casino
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Harris
Reviewed July 15, 2011

We stayed here back in 2006 and we loved it. Five years later we made the seven hour drive again and we still loved it. We stayed in the old section and the room was tastefully decorated and the bed was wonderful. It was very inexpensive to stay here. There is just something homey about this place compared to the big casino's where you have to walk blocks to get to your room.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank nopension

Reviewed July 7, 2011

My Husband and I stayed here for a concert we were attending in the showroom there.We have never been to the area and travelled 7 hours so we made a weekend trip out of it.
It really is in the middle of nowhere.I liked that it was a quite area we live by two big cities so it was a nice change.
Check- in was great.Even when the line got long they still took their time to check you in and let you know everything about the rooms,casino,promos and resturants.After check-in when we got to Our room I was surprised at how big the room was we had a jacuzzi room and it was very nice.We heard minimal noise from the halls and other rooms.
We are not gamblers so I cannot comment on the casino itself.We did not use the pool either but it looked cleaned.
We ate dinner at the resturant at the front of the hotel and it had below average food with high prices.I would not eat there again.After the concert we ate at the snackbar type resturant and were very pleased with the food prices and quality there.We had wished we would of just ate dinner there.
Drink prices were pretty decent not to outragous like I expected.

All in all we had a good time I am I glad that we traveled there.We will be going back again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NMJr
Reviewed April 25, 2011

This hotel is completely isolated with nothing around & I mean nothing. Slots are tight but not as tight as Las Vegas. The restaurants had horrible food but the worst was the one at the end of the casino. There were no other places to eat! Most of the hotel staff is friendly but there were a couple of staff who were very rude. Good security & friendly. Security was more eager to help than the hotel employees. The two shuttle drivers were very nice and polite. The rooms are very nice and clean but they have drapes that let in the sun. I like that the cleaning of the rooms did NOT begin early a.m. but later, so there was no noise from vacums to wake you. No one offered any tours or how to see the reservation and/or anything else.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank AlmostFamousRocker
Reviewed January 26, 2011

But I love this place, I've stayed 4 times in the last 10 years (3 times in the last 4 mos.). I grew up in the area (6 miles away) and now my son moved up there so I'm sure, well maybe, we will be there more often. I've read all the reviews and agree with all of them, the machines are all TIGHT (tight as they get) but this is true of most casino's right now. The service is not the best, but you have to remember most of these people are retired farmers, woodsmen, or young people just out of school and most of them have never been to another casino. The people are a little different, but they are Great! As far as the the rooms go they are VERY nice. The food places could all use a bunch of improvment!!! Seems like everyone hates the location but I love it, you just have to know your way around. We have seen a show there and the theater was one of the Best we ever been in (if they still have the same one they had 10 yrs. ago). And that includes all of LAS VEGAS. The casino is very nicely laid out, and there's plenty of room to move around, the machines aren't piled on top of each other like some other casino's or Las Vegas. As far as machines they have all the latest, the goofy penny machines (that you don't know what the hell you're doing , and you win or lose) and they still have the good old $1.00 machines, my favorite (by the way I'm mad at you people you took the "double diamonds progressive machines" out, my favorites). I don't play table games so I can't say much about them. As far as casino's go I think they have a very nice casino. It could use a little improvement and a few slot hosts. They have absolutely no cocktail waitress/waiters going around that we have ever seen which is another thing my wife complains about(her pet peve.) All in all its a nice place,perhaps a bit old fashioned but I like it.If you like fresh air and the country its GREAT!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank wjk1942
Reviewed October 3, 2010

Spent two nights at Chip In. Room was very dusty. People with allergies might find it a bit too much. Bathroom was clean. Casino was very tight. Restaurants served average food at a high price. Staff didn't seem to care about the quality of service. When I mentioned the dust in the room they brushed it off by saying it was because of the construction. However there was no construction in the tower I was in. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Fitzgb2002
IslandResortCasino, Public Relations Manager at Island Resort & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2010

We're very sorry that you didn't enjoy your recent visit with us. We strive to provide a positive experience for each of our guests. While we always enjoy hearing the positives, we appreciate the negative as well because it is an invaluable tool to help us deliver the excellent customer service our guests deserve.

Reviewed September 6, 2010

My title says it all, it will be my first and last visit to this hotel. I just got back from a Labor Day weekend trip to see the Beach Boys, who played at the hotel for two nights. I came from NY, which isn't an easy trip, seeing as where the hotel is located. I came only because a friend of mine plays in the band, and I hadn't yet seen the tour this summer.

Check in was quick, and we got the booklets with coupons after going to the Player's Club, we were given a room in the Sun Tower, which is the older tower. It wasn't a bad room, but i'm sure the rooms in the other tower were better. It had 2 queen beds, a table, TV, separate sink outside the bathroom, no safe, ironing board, or even a closet. It had a coffee pot with actual cups, and also two small bottles of water, which were free. There is wireless internet, though they don't advertise it, and so you wouldn't know unless you tried to get a signal. It's a horrible connection, very slow. It actually worked better on my Iphone from within some areas downstairs. The room TV wasn't very good, half of the channels were blurry. It got a good amount of channels, but even some of the major networks didn't come in clear.

We ate at 2 of the 3 restaurants, Firekeeper's, which was good food, great prices, but the service the one time was slow. Then we ate at the Coral Reefe Grille, which was also great prices and good food, and the soda and coffee are complimentary there. I can't comment on Beachcomber's, as we didn't eat there. There's also a stand that had coffee, smoothies, ice cream, desserts etc... that was reasonably priced.

My downside to the hotel was some of the staff members, they were just downright rude, no other way to put it, to be specific, Angela who works over at the concert venue and thinks she has some sort of power and authority, and then some guy who worked as an usher at the venue, I didn't catch his name, though wish I did, I just know he was an older guy with white hair who was on a major power trip. These people treated me like I've never been treated in the 10+ years I've seen the band as my friend's guest. These people didn't understand the word "GUEST", or what it means on a backstage pass, Angela gave me the pass and was even nasty about doing so! The old man was trying to flat out deny me access, saying a lot of people try and get backstage, I was steaming mad, as apparently he couldn't read and understand what "GUEST" meant. I told my friend how much of a hard time and hassle they gave me, it was uncalled for. I chalk it up to jealousy, at least with Angela. In the end though, I did get to visit with my friend backstage, and also some in the casino as well (which I'm sure Angela and the old man would have tried to stop if they could) so I got the last laugh on the rude staff. This all happened on the show's first night, the second night, I just walked right on backstage as I have so many times before.

The hotel's location is in the middle of nowhere, so unless your a local, it's not easy to get to, and there's nothing around. The next biggest town, Escanaba, is about 15 miles up the road and has all the popular chain restaurants and some stores. We did go up there on the second day just to get away from the hotel and ate at a local diner called Rosy's Diner on the main road, good, cheap food and service. The hotel's property does have a gas station and convenience store on the property, so that is a good thing.

Not all of the staff was as bad as Angela and the old man power trip usher, the one maid Saturday morning asked if we'd like anymore water or coffee when she cleaned the room, though it seemed like the maids were in a rush to get you out of the room. There was also 3 of them out in the hall talking on the morning we checked out, they talked for awhile. The girl at the Island Club desk was friendly, as was the front desk staff and restaurant staff. We had problems with the room keys, twice, on the same day, within 2 hours of each other, they didn't work, I got them fixed and they worked once and I had to come down again and get new keys, inconvenient, but the same girl handled it both times and finally they got working again.

There's a gift shop that's open late, and the pool, which I can't comment on. There's no advertised business center, but on the 2nd floor of the Sun Tower is computers for guest use, I don't know if they charged, but it would have been nice had the hotel mentioned they had these. I would assume the Palm Tower had them as well, though I didn't know. The valet is useless, BTW, as when we arrived, the valet guy just stood in the doorway, he didn't want to work, apparently. No problem, as there was plenty of free parking.

I don't have much to say about the casino, but the hidden gem is the free drinks, there's two areas set up with free soda and coffee, so you don't have to get from the server. The slot machines are very tight also, I can't comment on the rest as I only played the slots.

Overall, I wouldn't be back to this hotel, the staff was too nasty and it's just too hard to get to. The good thing about it was the price is right. If you're in the area though, I'd choose the Evergreen Inn a mile up the road.

• Stayed: September 2010
16  Thank BuffaloAmy
Reviewed October 20, 2009

This was our 1st visit to this casino and we were just passing thru but ended up staying the night at the casino because the slots were paying so well and we were making some money! In the end with all the comps we only paid $34.00 for our room which was better than the other 6 casinos we stayed at.

I could certainly recommend this resort and we toured the RV park which is hidden in the back and it was nice. We will be back at this casino again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank wintertexan6
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harris
Magnuson Grand Pioneer Inn and Suites
12 mi away
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#5 of 10 in Escanaba

Been to Island Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!