“historical harbor springs”

Depot Club & Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a beautifully restored train depot in downtown lovely Harbor Springs, serving members only for Dinner. Offering Seasonal Membership for $100 This entitles Member to dine from Labor Day until June 2017
patdetroit
“historical harbor springs”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We dicided to go their beacause of their rich history.The depot used to be the harbor springs train station. Our server told us about the last train in 1962 .Other than that our dinner was great. When come next year to the colonial inn we will eat here.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank patDetroit

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a shame, I was excited until I began the hunt for the main ingredient”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I was torn between ordering the Ceviche or the Fish Tacos, the Wait staff encouraged me to order the Fish Tacos with Chillian Sea Bass. "A patron favorite". My Mother ordered the Mac and Cheese. We decided to order the Lobster Spring Roll as an appetizer. It was an excellent spring roll, they just forgot the lobster! When I took my first bite of taco, did I mention fish taco. Chillian Sea Bass at that!!! Seriously, what was I thinking , this is Harbor Springs . As with the Lobster spring roll, I found no Sea Bass. On an up note the Mac and Cheese was the best my Mother had ever had!

Little Rock
“Great Lunch”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Enjoyed lunch on a Tuesday in mid July. Ate with family and a member; we were one of three tables eating inside (there were also several occupied tables on the outdoor patio).
Food ordered included: Gazpacho, Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad, Grilled Artichoke, Crab Cakes, Macaroni & Cheese. Everything was excellent (although portions are not large). Service and the staff were outstanding; from ordering, food presentation to special requests. A member of the party was chilled ... AC turned warmer and a jacket (required for dinner) was brought. Music was a little too loud ... immediately turned down.
The atmosphere / décor is comfortably “warm” and club-ish. Would definitely recommend.

• Visited July 2012
Richmond, Virginia
“Nice Package, Dodgy Food Quality...”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Actually, Harbor Springs could use a truly up-market, white tablecloth restaurant... but sadly, despite its aspirations, the Depot isn't it. Not by a long shot. Then there's the club thing. Frankly, I just don't get it, and I belong to my share of clubs. Apparently, Depot "members" receive free valet parking and access to a private dining room. Major attractions, right? Some college kid with acne and a clip-on bow tie parks your $120,000 Porsche...

Things start off well enough. The restaurant itself is inviting. Lots of clubby dark woods, faux leather chairs. Comfy. Hey, it's a club, after all. Then there's complimentary antipasto -- some shaved Parm, salami slices, a few olives and crackers. A nice touch. We were getting in the mood.

Then the menu. A "baby 6-oz filet" for... are you ready... $48.00. Must be a typo. I mean you can get a really great petite filet at Daniel in NYC for less, and you know it will be superb. Anyway, we passed on the filet and my wife ordered foie gras and the lake perch appetizer as a main course. Both were quite good. Especially good was the remoulade served with the fish, an attribute that no doubt reflects the chef's "lake fish" cooking heritage. An included intermezzo salad served between courses was completely unforgettable.

I wasn't so fortunate. My lobster bisque tasted suspiciously "flash frozen" and was devoid of the creamy richness and tender lobster pieces I had eagerly anticipated. My guess is, this item was prepared by some off-site, specialty food service purveyor, as was my main course -- three baked, crab stuffed, jumbo shrimp, in a curry cream sauce. (Hey, I know better than to order something like this in a Northern Michigan restaurant, but sometime we all just over-reach.)

But what really irritated me about the shrimp entree, despite its unappetizing quality, was the variance between the menu's description and what was actually served. "Baked?" Nope, my shrimp was deep fried in a pasty, greasy batter. Crab? Coulda fooled me... I couldn't find it. And as for the curry cream sauce, well... it just wasn't anywhere to be found. My advice to the chef? Take this item off the menu immediately. It's awful. Or risk being arrested for product misrepresentation.

Of course, my experience begs the question of how many other menu items are mislabeled and poorly prepared. In fairness, we only sampled a few, but found ourselves batting .500. At the Depot's price points, one has a right to expect a better average... and then there's the automatically added 20 percent gratuity. Yikes.

So, $197.00 later we left wondering how long this establishment will last. I say less than six months. Which is a shame. I'd like to see the Depot survive. I'm a club guy. But for now, there are several other restaurants in the market that can legitimately claim an "uptown ambiance" and offer consistently delicious food. I'll patronize them. But maybe some evening, if I'm strolling through town in need of a club fix, I'll stop by and have a night-cap at the Depot's bar. That's the best way to enjoy this joint's offerings... until the food improves...

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Freddyt64
Kenosha, Wisconsin
“Outstanding!”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We just returned from enjoying Sunday Brunch at the Depot and it was outstanding in every respect. A very generous portion of high qulity lox on a delicious bagel. Perfectly prepared poached eggs over wonderfully flavorful "hippie hash". Service was exemplery and the ambiance lovely. Excellent food, service, atmosphere and value. We will definitely return and highly recommend it.

• Visited August 2012