Howard Johnson Hotel and Suites Victoria Elk Lake
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Saanich
Winnipeg, Canada
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here many times with work. It's located about a 20 minute drive from
The airport.

I like that it's a 10 minute walk to the lake. They have a nice path you can run/walk around the lake. It's very popular. I think it's about 10km.

The hotel staff are very nice. The hotel restaurant is good and prices are fair.

The rooms that I've stayed in are nice and quiet (face the pool- which is outside). The rooms that I've stayed in have a mini kitchen (fridge microwave and sink). The beds are comfortable and the bathrooms are clean.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Canadawj
JTrowbridgeManager, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel and Suites Victoria Elk Lake, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for taking time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor Community. We are happy that you enjoy staying with us, we enjoy having you. I hope that if there is anything we can do better or improve on that you will let us know. Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Nanaimo
Reviewed March 29, 2013

The staff is excellent, always greet me as Mr. Penner, even hugs,
when I haven't been around for a month.
Great hotel, great service, good food, great bar, however lately I found the beer a little too
cold - (just kidding)
Great location -
Keep up the great work

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Thank you for sharing your stay with the TripAdvisor Community Mr. Penner :) Always great to see you come to stay. We so appreciate your continued Patronage and look forward to seeing soon. Go Happy. Go Hojo.
Oregon
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We booked a 2 queen bed room online. We had my 3 lb chihuahua so we got bumped to a "queen suite" which had a queen bed & a hide-a-bed. That was not the best, but fine for a couple of teenagers. They didn't have a good designated dog potty area, but my dog is tiny, so she just went in the bushes.

The "pet friendly" rooms are not in the main party of the hotel. They were in a building in the back. A lot of "pet friendly" hotels have designated pet rooms & they aren't always the best.

The decor is outdated in our rooms. The bedding needs to be updated. We had 2 TVs in our room, which made the kids happy. However the remotes control both TVs. So if I am in the bed area & my teen is on the couch, when they use the remote to change the channel, it changes my channel also. Same goes for volume control. That doesn't work out very well.

When we got to this room, there was hair on the bathroom floor. That is yucky. Also, when they cleaned the room during our visit, they seem to have only made the bed & restocked the little shampoo bottles. They didn't replace the towels and certainly didn't clean the bathroom. The shower, sink & floor were dirty. I can survive out dated comforters and old blankets, but just not clean really grosses me out.

The plus sides were they had a lot of extra pillows in the room. We love pillows & the pillows were pretty awesome. Obviously it was cheaper at this hotel than downtown Victoria. Plus most of the downtown hotels had extra charges per night for parking (about $30 additional per night). The HOJO had free parking. For us, it is a bonus that it is pet friendly. It costs an extra $15 a night & honestly my dog fits in a purse & doesn't bark or cry, so I could have snuck her in anywhere. I prefer the honesty route though.

Would I stay here again? I am really not sure. The price is good, but the comfort of the room & the cleanliness is a problem. I would probably look elsewhere & pay a little more if I could find somewhere nicer. I've stayed in a lot of HOJOs but this one was less than stellar. Did not live up to my previous experiences in HOJOs.

We stayed in a Ramada in Vancouver BC & it was nicer & cleaner.

• Stayed March 2013
JTrowbridgeManager, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel and Suites Victoria Elk Lake, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. First, I would like to apologize that you didn't completely enjoy your stay with us. Please know that we do not usually receive these comments, as you can see by the reviews below.

Your comfort is always our top priority. We would have loved the opportunity to resolve the issue, therefore encourage you to bring matters like these to our attention while staying with us. I have since approached the Housekeeping department to discuss the incident. There are no excuses but know that this is not a regular occurance.

We do hope that you would give another opportunity to make it up to you. Our standard of cleanliness is proven to be well above average. We have received many awards from Howard Johnson Canada including 'Internation Property of the Year' for both Service and Housekeeping.

On a positive note: We love that you loved our pillows.
Please feel free to contact me when you decide to visit Victoria again. We would love the chance to make it up to you. Thank you.
Vancouver
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We regularly frequent this particular HoJo as it is located next to Saanich's Commonwealth pool. It is in a very central location with many amenities including some great restaurants, and quaint shops in close proximity. You are 10 min. from the downtown core, and a few miles away from other great sites such as Butchart Gardens, and the lovely sea town of Sidney. The hotel is slightly above average, and reasonably priced, with all the amenities. If you are travelling on business or a romantic get away, do yourself a favour and ask if there is anything going on at the pool during your stay as it can be pretty load when the hotel is full of teams. Good deal.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
JTrowbridgeManager, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel and Suites Victoria Elk Lake, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel with the TripAdvisor Community. We are happy you enjoyed your recent stay with us.It's always great to read reviews such as this one. We will see you next time you come to visit.
Parksville
Reviewed March 14, 2013

As I have stayed in this hotel before and everything was excellent previously, made us go back and is an easy choice for future reservations.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. It's refreshing to hear our efforts result in happy guests such as yourself. We look forward to seeing you soon again. Go Happy, Go Hojo.
Calgary
Reviewed February 22, 2013

My sister and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at your hotel. We wish the circumstances could have been different. We were in Victoria to attend our brother's funeral. We were most comfortable and felt quite at home at HoJo and would stay at your hotel again when in the area. Meals were terrific and service was excellent and so friendly. My sister is very picky about certain things and when she's totally happy, then that says it all!! Your hotel gets full marks by us. Best regards and keep up the good work.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Thank you for the great review. We are happy we met you and your sister's expectations. I will forward your review onto our staff as a job well done. We hope to see you again next time you visit the area.
Pasadena
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Had a very pleasant stay at the hotel. The location was conveniently close to family and stores. I ate dinner twice at the hotel pub/restaurant, and thought the food was quite delicious. The staff was professional and helpful whenever I had any questions. The shuttle can to Victoria airport is a wonderful plus!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Thank you! We love that your loved your stay :) Looking forward to seeing you in the future. Go Happy, Go Hojo.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saanich
Days Inn Victoria Uptown
Oak Bay Beach Hotel
#3 of 49 in Victoria
Quality Inn Waddling Dog
#2 of 4 in Central Saanich

Been to Howard Johnson Hotel and Suites Victoria Elk Lake? Share your experiences!