“I lie in bed dreaming of Ispanak!”
Review of Cafe Gulistan

Cafe Gulistan
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Harbert
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I LOVE this place!

I ordered the Ispanak. I've never heard of the dish before, but I figured I couldn't go wrong with the words "falafel" and "mango-walnut-cream sauce" in the description! This dish was extraordinary! The falafel was the yummiest I've ever tasted: crispy and yummy outside, creamy inside! They cover it with fresh veggies: red pepper strips, spinach and mushrooms. The sauce was LIGHT and sweet and so yummy that I couldn't speak.

My husband ordered the wedding lamb. It was everything that I expected from a Middle Eastern restaurant. Exotically spiced and tasty.

They have $10 dinner entrees, and they are just as tasty as the other dinner entrees!

I love the atmosphere in this place: dark and cozy!

Reviewed February 15, 2013

What is "Gulistan"? Turns out there are several of them, but the common one spans the modern Turkish and Syrian border. The food served at this fine restaurant offers the standard Middle Eastern fare like felafel, hummus, baba ganoush, kebabs, etc., but don't overlook their specialties that include lamb, chicken, and fish, served up on their own or in hearty stews. The food is consistently outstanding. We usually come here about every 6-weeks and sit at the bar, order food to take out, and have a drink while we wait. That way, we stay out of the way of the usual crowds - especially in the Summer. The wait staff and host are friendly and knowledgeable. They have some good vegetarian dishes, too.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

After a 7 hour drive, fraught with fast-food we were desperate for something healthier! We found this place a mile or so off exit 12 from I-94. The GPS did not give us perfect directions, but we found it fairly easily anyways. At 8pm it was pretty busy, with both Michigan and out-of-state licensed cars. We were seated right away, and the atmosphere was welcoming and cozy. They did a booming take away business, and the owner made rounds often. The daily specials and food menu was well explained. The portions were generous, and the pita bread warm. The falafel appetizer was crunchy and the sauce served with it was delicious. I had a chicken dinner with a nutty sauce served with rice. It was exactly what I'd hoped for.

I would recommend Cafe Gulistan to everyone!

1  Thank EJ229
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stopped here last night on our way back to Illinois--we had 6 people in our party and we all agreed that the food was just fantastic! We started with the vegetarian combo appetizer with warm pita bread & chips. Even though I was the only vegetarian in the group, every one of my meat-loving friends liked this starter. For dinner I had the falafel platter and it was delicious! Highly recommend the Kurdish Latte for an after dinner drink and the mango cheesecake for dessert. We tried all 4 desserts and this one was the standout. Can't wait to stop here again on our next trip through Michigan!

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Israeli wine was delicious. Meats were char-grilled to perfection. The pilaf and vegetables were flavored with subtle spices that did not overwhelm the palate. The service was personal, accurate and timely. We walked from the Harbert House to the restaurant in the quiet neighborhood. I would definitely return.