“Long Lunch”

Ranked #2 of 56 Restaurants in Albert Park
Cuisines: Australian, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Dining day or night, the view from The Point Restaurant is one of the best Melbourne has to offer. The space is stylish and modern, combining award winning cuisine and an impressive wine list.
Reviewed January 24, 2014

My son and myself had a wonderful lunch at the Point to celebrate his 40th birthday. The staff were very attentive and gave that personal touch on presenting the wine and menu, and becoming involved in conversation. Being both involved in the meat industry we were very impressed with variety of meat available.

Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

We went to this restaurant with friends on their recommendation.
From the outset the whole experience was, to say the least a bit of a joke. A joke in the sense that it reminded me of a "smart Faulty Towers".

I don't know what they trying to recreate, but put it this way. In Europe this place won't make the Michelin guide. No arguments.

The waiter, with his "know it all attitude" then proceeded to not only tell you what you're going to eat, the name and the blood type of the farmer that produced your steak but also a full DNA analysis of the steak you're thinking of having. It's quite funny, but after listening to this recitation for 15 minutes with your tummy grumbling there's a sudden and sure urge to tell him to "go away".

The service is slow. I am talking really really slow. Waiting around was not any fun for the ambience was pretty dull and the view over the lake, well, just as dull.

I had the Yabbies for a start. They came with a pedigree and a half. Just a pity what came on the plate was equal to something out of a late night chip shop. Tasteless and with no imagination. Eating flower petals doesn't excite me!

My steak was nothing better that what I can do on my BBQ. Enough said.

When I ordered a whiskey from Ireland things got interesting. Put it this way, I know Ireland better than most people out there. The waiter was trying to tell me this absolute nonsense of how and where it was distilled. It became very clear to me that the poor man has never set a foot outside Melbourne never mind Australia!

Ok, enough said but to recap. Poor, bad, a joke. Not a hat restaurant, just a average neighbourhood eatery!

1  Thank Dr-AC-one
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Very good high priced wine list
Competent staff
Average expensive food
Very disillusioned at lunch end to be presented with a large bill that included extortionate prices for small bottles of mineral water and expresso coffee @ $6.50 a cup ( is this a record price for coffee in a restaurant ? )

1  Thank GabbyC893
Alison L, Guest Relations Manager at The Point Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Hi Gabby. We are sorry to hear you were disappointed, especially by the charges. To be clear, we charge $11 for 1 litre of sparkling mineral water, and $6.50 for espresso coffee with handmade petits fours. Thanks for alerting us to your feelings. - Alison.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

We dined at The Point as a party of three to celebrate a special birthday. We had good memories of The Point after dining there a couple of years ago.

To our minds this restaurant has gone from a place where you could get a top notch steak with unobtrusive service to a place where the staff have ramped up the ‘service’ to the point where it verges on theatre. The menu offers meat, steak and more steak. Potatoes and vegetables must be ordered as side dishes.

The menu was explained to us in graphic detail, down to the point where I half expected the latitude and longitude to be supplied for the oak tree under from the white truffles has been extracted.

Our food waitress was unable to take our order for a couple of glasses of wine without sending for the sommelier. When those two glasses arrived we had to listen to what seemed to be the vigneron’s entire life story. Sadly, he was deceased. Otherwise I might have collapsed into giggles as the delivery was so over-blown.

Despite all the ‘service’ no-one offered to take my coat (it was a freezing cold night), the food staff swapped around during the evening and the sommelier brought a scotch and coke although we had ordered a scotch and dry ginger. The scotch, when it arrived, was Johnny Walker Black.

We ordered the chateaubriand at $120. It was tasty and excellent but a long time coming. The chateaubriand is offered as a meal for two but as we weren’t super hungry we shared it among three, something the wait staff were happy to accommodate. It was served with one complimentary side dish (a well seasoned salad) and two side dishes that we ordered from the menu – Potatoes in beef fat for $10 (rich, but tasty) and honey carrots at $12.

We wouldn’t hurry back. While it was a satisfactory meal the whole theatre element overshadowed the actual food.

Good for: Blokes in suits wanting to impress each other.

Bad for: Vegetarians. If you have any sympathy for our four legged friends you will find this place nauseating.

Hi Kaz. Thank you for your feedback. Some guests appreciate this level of insight into the produce and technique on offer, and for other guests it is inappropriate - we sincerely regret that we misread what you were looking for. We will take it on board. All the best, Alison.

Reviewed December 11, 2013

We went from a 6 to 8 to a 12 for lunch.

The Melbourne people we took, turned their nose up at "The Point" as the venue, so did a WA couple....

Amazing experience, staff extremely knowledgeable, both sommelier and our waitress. The food stunning for anyone unable to decide on which steak to have, I can highly recommend the trio of 100 gram steaks all of which were succulent and tasty.

We stayed for hours and hours, drank many fine wines and everyone had the best lunch they had had in ages.

We went during Spring Carnival week so the restaurant was busy and our service not at all effected.

A memorable and returnable restaurant, especially a cup time. Thank you

Alison L, Guest Relations Manager at The Point Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2013

We are thrilled you had a good time, Petrina, and hope we managed to change a few pre-conceptions!