“A nice evening”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is a small, well-run restaurant with a view of the Au Sable River from any of the tables. It's a bit tricky to find, since it's attached to a bait shop, & has no sign ! There's also a hotel on the premises, and therefore the restaurant is open for all 3 meals. VERY delicious food, and a nice selection.

2  Thank patti-n-rich

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Gates is a step back in time to what I imagine motels were lIke in the 40s.
The restaurant has a staff that has been there for years. They mange efficiency with friendliness and humor so you get your food quickly but from someone with a smile.
The prices are a bit high except when you look at the unique quaintness and view outside the window.
We always eat breakfast there. The menu is typical breakfast food but your coffee cup is never empty. We always leave with a few fishing tips or some tidbit about the canoeists in their big marathon race.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stopped at Gates on our way to Traverse City last weekend as it is a very famous lodge on a more famous river the Au Sable in Northern Michigan. I have been wanting to visit this for years now and just made the time to do it. And we are glad we did. We stopped for lunch on this visit and my wife ordered a Michigan salad with chicken and myself a grilled vegetable panini. The salad was nice with a rasberry vinagrette. I only ordered the panini as I did not want too much before the wedding dinner. It was not what I would have called a true panini as it was served on a grain type sub bun but was fantastic. I say this as I am not a vegetarian so not my normal selection. Very nice fresh vegetables and the grilling sauce was great. We have traveled extensively and ate at many fine restaurants and the flavor and ingredients are up there with the rest of them. I did request and look at a dinner menu and we seen a couple that sounded fantastic and plan to visit there soon for an evening. The decor is lodge simple but with a fantastic view of the famed Au Sable river about 40 feet out the window. There are only eight tables in the dining area so when they recommend dinner reservations one would see why. Waitstaff was friendly and only concern however mild was the girl did forget a few requests and I had to remind her. Super friendly though. Easy access from I-75 if you are traveling, about 10 minutes? Also lodgin onsite with many attractions throughout the area and a fly shop connected to the restaurant. I went over there after placing my order and browsed. No liqour is served but one can bring their own if desired which is a different touch. I do plan to bring something amber for my next dinner trip. Make their own vanilla lemonade and soft drinks are served in a can instead of fountain. Hope this helps.

2  Thank Cruiseplanner1
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I know the restaurant shows a wonderful lunch/dinner menu, but I have only eaten there for breakfast. And, I eat breakfast there as often as I can. It usually means fishing the Holy Waters after...
Good coffee, great wait staff, friendly hosts. Pancakes are good, the CB hash exceptional. Real maple syrup, marionberry? jam. And real sourdough...

1  Thank DLHirst
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I had eaten at Gates Au Sable Lodge last year and I thought the food was good but nothing special. Well I visited Gates again this year and was blown away by the food! In fact I loved everything so much I ate there at least once a day for the entire duration of my 5 day trip. Their menu now includes crab cakes that can stand up to the crab cakes I've eaten in New England. The breakfast menu has french toast made with croissants that was so good I ate it two mornings in a row. I was told they have a new chef that revamped their menu and boy does it show! If you are traveling anywhere near Grayling stopping at Gates for any meal really is a must!

1  Thank KateH443