“Nice change of pace”

Dawson & Stevens Classic Diner
Ranked #7 of 40 Restaurants in Grayling
Cuisines: Diner
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Kids and I ate there today on our way home from vacation. We got there at 12:30, it was packed. Our waitress finally came and immediately apologized and explained that she had a lot of tables, which I felt was very nice and responsible of her. I had a burger, my son had chili cheese fries and bowl of chili,my daughter had the Coke Chocolate cake. My son and I had shakes. We had our food by 1, it was all very good. Kids liked the music, I liked all the museum items. Would probably go again, but maybe not as close to lunch time.

1  Thank mackinaclover

Reviewed August 16, 2014

This is a retro 50's Diner atmosphere with booths and a soda fountain. They play all of the songs we remember singing in our younger days.
The decor is definitely Coca-Cola and yes it is a museum, but very unique and fun, and takes you right down memory lane. The food is good and the servings are generous. Unless ALL you order is the banana split, don't try to go it alone; it's plenty for two and they will make it with any flavors ice cream and toppings you want. They really do know how to make a chocolate malt like the good old days. The wait staff is friendly and check back often to be sure you have what you need. In my opinion if you are a child of the 50's or 60's this is a must visit if you get to Grayling.

Reviewed August 13, 2014

I like Coca Cola, so we saw this restaurant on the night of the 11th and decided to have breakfast there in the morning. There is a lot of Coca Cola memorabilia, more than I have ever seen. I had breakfast, it was the typical omelet with different meats . It was average. Others in my party had a burger and another a salad. It was nothing special but it was good. The restaurant was playing 50's and 60's music, so it was nice. The service from the staff was good. I would probably eat here again if in the area.

Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

When you walk in, be prepared for an onslaught of Coca Cola memorabilia. It's everywhere. Sadly it's more museum like than decorative. Even the baby changer is another curio cabinet chock full I' Coca Cola stuff with a changing top to set your baby on.

The service is somewhat slow, not what I'd expect from a mid-century styled diner with its peppy, chirpy music. The waitresses are pleasant.

It's very clean; while retro, it's not rundown.

The food is okay, kind of heavy, but the chips are homemade and are a treat. I had the mesquite chicken wrap and the others had a quesadilla and a burger. The burger was impressive with good flavor but nothing else was memorable. Good, but just not extraordinary. The shakes were pretty good and I think that's really the most attractive part of this bubble gum ping and light teal diner. A shake over nice conversation would make for a nice experience.

It's slightly pricey for what it is: $10 for a chicken quesadilla, $9.50 for a chicken wrap and $8 for the burger, which I don't feel was too expensive considering the quality of the burger.

It's definitely a kitschy place.

Reviewed August 8, 2014

Despite the kitsch, Dawson's is the real deal -- it has been serving up Cokes and fries, as well as -- honestly, I'm willing to argue this -- some of the best chocolate malts and sodas in the country for more than 60 years. The Coke memorabilia-encrusted walls might seem over the top, but at least they've earned the right to be somewhat excessive. My wife can remember heading there after school in the 50s and has great stories to tell about Dawson's when it was still a drug store as well as a soda bar, and we never miss it when visiting Grayling. Try their chocolate malt, mixed in an original Hamilton Beach machine with stainless steel containers and delivered in a tall glass with a cherry on the top -- and best of all, nearly half the container still full of more malt -- and tell me you've had a better one. I doubt it. Fun place.