“Totally Awesome”
Review of Prairieside Suites

Prairieside Suites
Ranked #1 of 1 Grandville B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 9, 2010

My wife and I have spent our anniversary in bed & breakfasts around the country and Prairieside Suites ranks as one of the very best. Cheri and Paul's attention to detail and the "over the top" service provided by their wonderful staff was far beyond our expectation. The proximity to downtown Grand Rapids provides many choices for entertainment. We are already planning our return!!!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 30, 2010

My fiance and I were planning a romantic getaway. This place looked excellent so I placed a reservation at the end of September for mid-November. They took $221 deposit which I thought was extremely high. Unfortunately, I had to cancel the reservation. I let them know almost a full month in advanced and explained the circumstances.

They refused to refund any of the money and were very rude. Instead they offered me a gift card or the option to move the date. After being treated the way I was there is no way I was going to actually stay there and spend money. I figured I could sell the gift card for half the price and recoup some of my money. So, I chose the gift card.

When they did send the gift card (via email, looked like someone just typed it up) they added a minimum purchase requirement of over $900!

How insulting.

We frequent several B & B's and I have never seen anything even close to being as rude, arrogant, and condescending as the people who ran Prairieside Suites.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank qbjimmytd
Designer28, Owner at Prairieside Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2010

Hi this is Cheri, [the owner of Prairieside Suites Luxury Bed and Breakfast].

I communicated with this guest myself. He emailed me his cancellation and I replied with a copy of our policies. These policies are listed all over our website, he agreed to them when he booked his room online, they were printed on his confirmation letter and were also listed on our follow up letter. I followed our policies as stated and I didn't even deduct the $20.00 cancellation fee, because I was trying to be nice! So how is that disrespectful? Owning a B&B is a "love" business, how else could we WELCOME strangers into our home? It's a shame to receive unkind remarks that aren't true from someone who hasn't even stayed with us. Please read comments from guest who stay with us.

Reviewed September 26, 2010

It was our 21st anniversary and we decided to drive to an area in Michigan for a few days that we had never been to. Along the way we stayed in three different B&B's as is our custom. We splurged on the exact date of our anniversary to stay here ,as it was quite pricey, but the website kept saying how especially pampered you were going to be. First we were disappointed in the town as we drove through as it had nothing special to offer. It was a rather run- down town. Then when we drove up to the place we were both sorry to have made the reservation. It is a plain looking single story home in the suburbs. The owner rushed us through the tour as they were hurrying to go out of town for the weekend. She left two brownies in our room and two cans of coke (which we don't drink) . We went to have some of their famous cocoa (which was very sweet) and were looking around for the cookies that the website said were always available. There were none, and when I called her to ask about them she hurriedly came over grabbed some out of the freezer and put them on a plate. All of her baked goods were frozen and none of them tasted home made. When in our room there were samples for her decorating business. That, we thought was beyond tacky. Apparently there are samples in all the rooms as the other people staying there had some in their room too. Our bed was very comfortable, and the tub and shower were great but the view was of the street in front of the house. If you're looking for a gourmet breakfast experience don't bother coming here as it was a poor breakfast at best. Omelet was not very good and the baked item had been in the freezer. We are big coffee drinkers and the coffee they serve is just south of swill. Value for money is very poor at this B&B. We did not feel pampered at all as they stressed, we felt neglected as we never saw the owners after the rush job upon our arrival. Would never stay here again or remotely recommend it. We can't understand how it got high ratings.

Our advice is to go elsewhere!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Julianna_Traveler
Designer28, Owner at Prairieside Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2010

Oh my gosh, I feel so bad. This is Cheri, the owner of Prairieside Suites. Where do I even start? It is our philosophy at our B&B that it's important to welcome our guest with a brief tour of the common area's, then show them their room, answer any questions they may have and then disappear....giving our guests the privacy and relaxation they're here for. Everyone is given my business card with my phone number and they are encouraged to call me with any questions OR if they need anything.

We bake ahead and freeze our cookies because it keeps them fresh and moist [we don't want to serve day old baked goods]. This works well because whether we have 2 guest or 10 guest we can keep a wonderful supply and variety available.

We have "Maxwell House" coffee packs in our rooms, along with tea and our homemade hot cocoa. We put a couple soda's in your room refrigerator for each day of your stay. We have a choice of 8 different kinds of soda and ask your preference, if you don't choose anything then I'll often put something in [just in case]. We serve "Bigby's" French Roast- fresh ground coffee in the dining room at breakfast. Our guest often remark on how much they like the fresh flavorful "coffee house" taste.

If you look at our pictures you can see we have a two story home. We're located in the suburbs [Grandville] only 6 minutes from downtown Grand Rapids. Please look on our area attractions page for idea's on things to do when your here. We are have 40 restaurants, a 20 screen movie theater and the largest regional mall in Michigan within 4 minutes of our door plus restaurants, an antique store, library, Wedgewood park and two local pubs are within walking distance. I guess this proves you can't make everyone happy but I will admit that we really do try!

Reviewed August 27, 2010

My husband and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary at Prairieside Suites and we really enjoyed it. We stayed in the English Cottage and it was very nice. The bed was super comfortable, the room was decorated nicely and there were many extra ammenties. We enjoyed the hot chocolate and the brownies in our room. Paul showed us our the B&B and to our room and he was very friendly and welcoming. We had a very relaxing time at the B&B and would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2010

The wife and I have traveled to exotic places like Hawaii, etc. However, there is just something a wonderful B&B can offer that a beach vacation just can't. The bed was unbelievable, and was one of the best nights rest that I've gotten in years. There were homemade baked goods and homemade hot chocolate ready for us to enjoy, not to mention the home made soaps that adorn the bathroom and the hot tub in the Tuscan Villa. Everyone was extremely friendly, was ready to answer questions, but there was an information guide and everything was explained in the room. There was no confusion, no frustration, and you felt warm and invited. I met the owner and the Domestic Goddess Cindy, and they were very welcoming and friendly people. We were sad to leave, but we will be back. Of all the places I recommend for a romantic getaway, you can find it at Prairieside Suites in Grandville, MI. It is no wonder that it was voted #3 in North America, and I think they're on their way to number 1.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2010

My husband and I celebrated our 1st anniversary at Praireside Suites. We were so impresssed by everything about this wonderful home. It was so nice to wake up every morning to a delicious breakfast, swim in the refreshing cozy pool and venture out for the day to the west to the wonderful tourist locations on Lake Michigan. Thanks for the memories!

Tammy and Michael Camp
Oxford, MI

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2010

I had the chance to get away for a couple of days after working a long holiday weekend (Forth of July). The Tuscan Villa was beautiful! The bed was so comfy and the room was HUGE. I loved having an outside entrance to the room. The property is beautiful and there are so many things to do just on site! I'm a shopper so the location to the mall and all of the other things right in Grandville was perfect for me! It really did feel like home away from home. Everyone was so friendly and happy to have me I didn't want to leave!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grandville
Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton
#4 of 4 in Grandville
JW Marriott Grand Rapids
JW Marriott Grand Rapids
#4 of 48 in Grand Rapids

Been to Prairieside Suites? Share your experiences!