“Very good...GO EARLY”

Anna's House
Ranked #62 of 955 Restaurants in Grand Rapids
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Anna's House makes it our goal to provide all-natural, fresh, local, quality ingredients in every dish we serve. We pride ourselves on making unique dishes that many people have come to love and enjoy. We have an invested desire and passion to meet the dietary preferences of the community and have included in our menu: gluten-free, dairy-free, vegetarian and vegan options to accommodate those lifestyles. As a part of this goal, we offer all-natural, chemical-free meats in all our dishes. We provide many house-made items that are made fresh and consistent every day.
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Best bit of advice I can give you is go early. Because of the publicity/hype from being named "Best Breakfast Joint" in a Grand Rapids Press article it is usually busy in prime times on a weekend and before work on weekdays.

We went at 7:10am one Sunday...they open at 7am. There were already 6 tables of people, but at least there were plenty others open. When we left a little after 8am there was not an open table but the wait would not be long. By 9am I am sure the wait would be significant.

The food? Very good. Homemade, upscale, unique, different. Basically they have gone out of their way to take breakfast to the next level and not just be a truck stop with Eggs, Breakfast Meat and Hashbrowns.

Not that there is anything wrong with Eggs, Breakfast Meat and Hashbrowns....in fact I live a place that makes a good simple farmers breakfast at a fair price. But I can appreciate where Anna's is going by taking things to the next level.

My wife had the French Toast made with Bailey's Sauce. It was good but very rich/heavy.

I had one of their omelets that was stuffed with Bacon, Sausage and their home made corn beef hash and cheddar cheese. It was GREAT and just the right size. Not stupidly thick and huge like some places but thin, light egg stuffed with meat and cheese. Just the right size. I ate it all, was not stuffed and not wanting for more.

The service was very good with lots of young ladies keeping coffee topped off and clearing tables as soon as they are open. Nothing turns me off more than to walk into a breakfast place that is skimping on help and see tables with dirty dishes that have not been collected and cleared.

If you like a plain simple breakfast you probably wont appreciate what they are trying to do here and probably won't like the prices ($30 with tip for my wife and I). But if you like a place that dares to be different, dares to push the envelope with fresh, homemade ingredients and charges what it takes to go beyond the basic fare then you should try Anna's House.

We will go again, but it wouldn't be or every week breakfast place.

Don't be turned off by the fact the place isn't much to look at from the outside. It was a repurposed restaurant building that has been there since the 60s or 70s and kind of looks run down. But it is nice inside and the food and service are top notch.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

After reading a glowing review in the Grand Rapids Press
we decided to revisit this restaurant.
We waited 35minutes for a table -another 35 minutes to be served.
I had been looking forward to the much hyped special french toast
-which turned out to be bread pudding. :(
Overall a very disappointing visit

Reviewed April 10, 2013

The Breakfast Pizza was something very different. I have the Cowboy and was a great way to start the day.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Since Anna’s House was recently named "Best Breakfast Place in Michigan" by a Grand Rapids Press reporter, my friend (we'll call her "Jane") and I went there to try it out. What a disappointment!

Jane decided to go with a traditional breakfast. Her reasoning? “Let's see how they do with standard stuff before I try something unique.” She ordered bacon (limp), eggs over easy, hash browns with onions, white toast, and a pancake.

The bacon was right. The eggs started out right. She received easily half as many hash browns as I did, her toast was burned, and her pancake came without butter or syrup, but with a promise to “bring those right away.” We waited. And waited. Eventually, we flagged down our server, asked for the butter and syrup and––at my urging––Jane sent her burned toast back to be replaced. Big mistake.

She got her butter and syrup, but no toast. Once again, she waited a long time and eventually flagged down a woman bussing tables. The woman brought the toast and foolishly said, “It’s been there a long time, but no one picked it up.” So, now Jane had cold toast and eggs that had solidified enough and had gotten cold enough that she wasn’t able to indulge in her ritual dunk-the-toast-in-the-warm-soft-egg routine.

I ordered a crepe that I can barely remember three days later. It had pesto sauce on it, but the crepe itself was burned and I had to break all my own rules for trying new food by pulling out the salt to give it flavor. I brought half of the order home for my husband who said a lot of salt and hot sauce perked it up. While I like hot sauce as well as the next person, needing it to make a crepe tasty doesn’t bode well for the original dish.

Without reservation, however, I can rave enthusiastically about the croissant bananas foster I had. They were the best items we tried and were incredibly delicious. My husband isn’t a huge fan of sweet items for breakfast, but he said that his leftover portion was fantastic the next day, too.

While perhaps the restaurant was a bit overwhelmed by the publicity and wasn’t prepared for the onslaught of first-timers like Jane and me, the service alone wasn’t the only reason we probably won’t go back. Most of our food wasn’t even average.

With Wolfgang’s, who needs Anna’s House? I have never, in decades, ever been disappointed at Wolfgang’s, so I doubt I’ll make the detour up Plainfield again. If I’m heading west, it’s Morning Star in Grand Haven. And Anna’s House suffered by comparison to the fabulous breakfast I’d had the day before at deBoer Bakkerij and Dutch Brothers Restaurant in Holland. I don’t know what kind of red carpet Anna’s House pulled out for the Grand Rapids Press reporter, but the average Jane sure didn’t have the same experience.

2  Thank VNE
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Two of us met for a Wednesday brunch. The variety on the menu was wonderful. The service was great. Our omelets were delicious. The sugar bread was HUGE. We will return to try more menu items.