“Nice hotel, by airport”

Ranked #18 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Sterling Heights, Michigan
“Nice hotel, by airport”
Reviewed March 1, 2012

We travel to Grand Rapids often and have stayed at many hotels in the area. This is the first time staying at this Marriott near 28th street and the airport, more the north east area. It is off the main road, but very close. It is also close to the freeway, restaurants, 2 malls, many stores, and just about everything else you might want. Our main reason for this trip was to see a play downtown but staying downtown was too expensive and not close to the malls. This was a nice choice as it is a quick drive to downtown.

The room was clean and the beds were very comfy. It is a bit sparse for a Fairfield Inn and I was disappointed that we did not have a refrigerator. I should have looked closer at the hotel's website. Breakfast was fine, but nothing really to rave about. I am trying to watch both calories and cholesterol so I had oatmeal and yogurt both mornings and it was as expected. They did have some nice choices for fruit cups, yogurt, etc. My daughter loves doughnuts but none were available.

The best feature was the location coupled with the fact that I knew this brand would be clean and well maintained. It was a good choice and I would stay here again if needed. I do prefer to stay on the south west end of the city though.

Room Tip: I liked being on the 3rd (the top) floor as there were many families with young children so I did no...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Reviewed February 26, 2012

We arrived here late in the evening, exhausted after a long day at Michigan's Adventure. We had stayed at an awful hotel down the street the night before and were so pleased when we arrived here. Hotel must be fairly new. The lobby was clean and check in was quick. Our room was spotless and we all had a great nights sleep. In the morning my kids (3 little boys) got out of bed and I noticed a big blood stain on the duvet. Totally grossed as I knew for sure it was not from them, I went to the front desk. There was no one there just a sign saying someone wuld return soon. On our way to the pool I found the cleaning lady whom did not speak English very well about the problem. When we went back to the room the bed was made with the bloody duvet still on the bed only covered with the runner that the Fairfield's always put on the beds. Guess putting the stain on the outside solves the problem? I went to the front desk on our way out and informed the lady behind the desk. Upon returning back to the hotel 4-5 hrs later our bed still hadn't been changed. I called the front desk and the clerk came up and changed the bed. When we returned home I sent a complaint in to the head office and the manager offered a free night. When I emailed her back a few months later to get my free night she never responded. Other than that episode stay was great. Nice pool and good continental breakfast.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank momof3hockeyboys
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Three families stayed here last Saturday night and found the service superior. All staff were friendly and accommodating. We had a group of parents, grandparents, and children that used the pool and hot tub and that was good, too. The breakfast was better than some hotels of this kind. Areas were clean, the decor in the rooms was modern which were all pluses. Some parts were a little worn, but not bad. We would stay there again. To improve, add mini-fridges and microwaves to rooms.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, IL
Reviewed February 3, 2012

This hotel staff always tries to do the best in order to serve the customer. Clean rooms, halls, breakfast area. Comfortable beds. I left some clothing on the hanger - they sent it back to me at no charge.

Room Tip: Got to have third floor so no one is walking above you.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Berkeley, California
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Room was clean, bed was a little hard, towels are poor quality. Strange thump sounds in the wall. sounds like someone knocking ..kept me awake, but I sleep light... water leaked from the ceiling in the bathroom. told front desk. they offered to give me another room,but they fixed the leak. Breakfast is very good.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank jibjab b
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed September 22, 2011

This is a very basic hotel with several problems. The rooms smell like smoke – both ours and our friends were non-smoking but smelled terrible. It is also a little loud with a lot of hall noise.

Room:
Beds were very comfortable
Room had a stale smoky smell despite being non-smoking

Bathroom:
Basic – some minor wear to sink and tub

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Arnhem, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Got this hotel for 2 nights through Priceline, by bidding on 2-star hotels...
We found the room to be clean and nice; well decorated. Good choise with breakfast, very nice staff. Compared with the avarage other 2-star hotels, we found this to be a pleasant surprise!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple