Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Rapids Airport
  • Restaurant
$277
$201
  • Pool
Best Western Hospitality Hotel & Suites(Grand Rapids)(Great Value!)
$125
Hotels.com
Sleep Inn & Suites(Grand Rapids)(Great Value!)
$65
SleepInn
$136
Comfort Inn Airport(Grand Rapids)(Great Value!)
$90
Hotels.com
Comfort Suites South(Grand Rapids)(Great Value!)
$94
Hotels.com
JW Marriott Grand Rapids(Grand Rapids)
$297
$279
JW Marriott
$261
$214
  • Pool
All reviewsfront deskmeijer storecheese omeletspancake machineshuttle drivershort staygrand rapids airportsleeper sofaparking lotfree breakfastwould stay here againking suitemini fridgeexercise roomthe hotel is cleanpool and hot tubbreakfast bar
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here to go to a family reunion in August this year. Staff was courteous. Location was good, a few minutes from the airport, and they had a shuttle. We had booked thru Hotwire so didn't get to pick our room, we just knew it should be enough to sleep my family of 4. We ended up with a suite with one queen bed and a fold out couch. Having my 16 year old try to share rickety fold out with my 4 year old would have been a nightmare. I ended up using couch cushions to make my 4 year old a pallet on the floor. Our queen bed was not very comfortable, it sagged in the middle and had hard spots. My husband and I tossed and turned all night. Everyone, except the 4 year old awoke with backaches in the morning. Breakfast was fine, hot, standard HI express fare. However there was an ant crawling on the wall in the breakfast room and crumbs in the pull out couch when we opened it. I give an average rating because we got a good deal thru Hotwire, but I would have been more upset had I paid full price for the room.

• Stayed: August 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Rapids Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Dear NcTarheelFan,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff and breakfast.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the bed and sofa bed. We will address these points. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to ensure complete guest satisfaction. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Stayed at this location for 3 nights and it was just average. I prefer Hampton for similar class but at least Hampton has better bed, pillow and more modern interior. At the time i couldn't get cheaper rate at any Hilton property, so had to settle with this Holiday Inn. The hotel itself is just average. The room got was a suite and just simple. Like that they put microwave and fridge in the room.
The hotel looks a bit outdated and can use renovation. The fitness center is very small with only 3 cardio machines and a weight machine cramped in the back of the room.
The location is great as it's quiet and located behind Meijer and there are some restaurants nearby. But there are plenty of food and retail establishments on the opposite side of the main road.
Nothing stand out about this hotel and will most likely look elsewhere if i come back to Grand Rapids area.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Rapids Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Dear Leilani07,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We highly value views, opinions and feedback from our guests, as this allows us to constantly improve the service we provide.

Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. I apologize for the shortfalls during your recent stay with us. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Dhan M

Reviewed August 15, 2013

I average 15-20 nights per year in business hotels. Not much I know and I normally stay at Hilton properties. I chose this property because it was convenient and well priced. So I just hoped it wouldn't be an old used up Holiday Inn. It wasn't. Not in any way.
Upon arrival, Elizabeth greeted me and my customer with a smile and provided us with a few bottles of desperately needed water. Each and every person who i interacted with at reception was professional friendly and helpful. Daily breakfast was better than expected. Traditional continental breakfast plus biscuits and gravy one day and eggs and bacon another, Pancake machine etc. Clean, well stocked, friendly staff. Sensing a trend here? Rooms were clean, plenty of linens with a couch, desk, fridge sink and coffee machine.

I will go back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 11, 2013

If it had not been for one very bad housekeeping problem and poor communication I would rate this property higher.
I called for a reservation rather than reserve on line because I wanted a handicap accessible room and I wanted to get in earlier than 3 pm. I was told that it was very possible that we would be able to get in early and they had the room I needed. I was asked to call the day before to double check on the availability of an early check in. One the day before our check it, it took me 3 attempts to get through and talk to someone (disconnected, terrible connection on 2nd try). I talked to the front desk and was assured that we could check in at 1:30 pm.
When we arrived at 1:45 pm, the room was not ready as promised but the staff called housekeeping and we were told another accessible room was available. We entered that room and I found drawers in the kitchenette and the dresser drawers still open. Worse yet, there was about 1/4 cup of round brown pellets on the rug near the wall by the bed. It looked like dog food, but could be a snack of something that had been spilled. Obviously the staff did not catch that in order to get the room readied. They should never have released the room.
As we left for an event an hour later, I informed the front desk myself and described exactly where the pellets were. When we returned almost 5 hours later, I discovered that the pellets were still there. My husband thinks the staff member did not make a note and got distracted before a service call was made.
I immediately walked down to the front desk and complained to the manager. We got someone in to vacuum the room immediately and a phone call acknowledging the problem and we were told we would not be charged for the room.
Unfortunately this left a very poor impression. However in all fairness I must say the king sized bed was almost perfect. It was slightly harder that I prefer, but I was able to get a good sleep. The room is almost two rooms with the front section containing a couch with a pull out bed and a TV and lamp. Then there is a small kitchenette with plenty of cupboards, sink, microwave, burners on a stove top, refrigerator and coffee maker. The main room has a large bed, another TV, lambs and tables. There is a major grocery store just beyond the property. You have to drive past this grocery store (Meijers) to get to one of two hotel properties. The entrance has a lovely garden area. It is quite near the airport and just off a major freeway. It is located off one of the busiest streets in Grand Rapids. In spite of this, the property was set in a section that somehow buffets the noise from the roads. We were located on the first floor near the front desk and it was very quiet there.
I might consider this property again. I would agree with another review it is nothing spectacular overall, but for the price is good and it was a decent experience except for the odd housekeeping problem and they did not have the room ready as promised. They were professional about acknowledging the problem.
Final comment: I doubt that I got a real accessible room. There is only one support bar in the tub (shower facilities in the tub) and there are no bars near the toilet. I do not use a wheelchair, but I doubt that anyone in a wheelchair could get into the bathroom easily. The bottom of sink is too low to get a wheelchair under the sink, the towels are place too high. The toilet would be difficult to use because the bathroom is narrow and there is no place to transfer to the toilet. If you have those needs be sure to discuss you needs in detail with someone who really knows the property and which rooms are built to accommodate you. Fortunately I can manage with one handle bar in the shower though I prefer two (or more.)

Room Tip: All seem quiet, see my notes if you are handicapped.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Rapids Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Dear Margo96,

Thank you for your staying with us and for leaving us a feedback. Providing excellent customer service is one of the things we pride ourselves on and we are sorry to read that in this case you feel we have fallen short of your expectations. We would love the opportunity to regain your faith in our hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay.

Once again many thanks for your feedback.

Janice A

Reviewed August 8, 2013

The girl who checked me in was so nice and friendly! I was given a room on the 1st floor like I asked, in a quiet area. Room was huge and spacious! It was for the night before my wedding. Us bridesmaids all stayed in the double queen suite. I called the front desk in the morning, was told I could not check out late as they were fully booked. 5 minutes later, she called our room to state she talked to her manager and confirmed it. GREAT service! She went above and beyond my request. Breakfast was also great although I didn't eat much as I was so nervous about getting married! There was SO much food! Omelettes, toast, muffins, bagels, bacon, ect! The breakfast area was too crowded but overall it was great! Late check out at 1PM was PERFECT as I needed the extra time to pack! ONLY downfalls, was a hair on the bed and I was required to be an IHG member to check in early but that was it. Thanks for the amazing stay!

Room Tip: Ground floor near the west door was great!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends