“Better options in Grand Rapids”
Review of Sleep Inn & Suites

Sleep Inn & Suites
Ranked #28 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Michigan
“Better options in Grand Rapids”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Stayed the weekend for a Lake Michigan visit. Location is really good with a lot of shopping and restaurants nearby. Receptionist was friendly and check in was quick. The room was SMALL-had a king bed and it was only me so it was okay but even one other person would have been too many. The decor is really cute except why are the walls damaged? The air was not on so it was stifling in there which is inexcusable. Bed was very comfortable. The bathroom is so tiny that if I would have had to close the door I would have felt very claustrophic. Shower only and the stall is good sized but they really need to repaint/clean better. The pool area was too hot for me to go in and the exercise room is tiny. Three cardio machines right next to each other.
Breakfast was ridiculous. The room was way too small and there was a boys sports team down there apparently with no adults because they did not know how to not crowd everyone. I didn't bother going on the second day. Not the worst hotel but there are other choices.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Valparaiso, Indiana
Reviewed August 27, 2012

There are so many hotels in this area please pick another. We ended up at the Sleep Inn because our soccer team was staying there. I should have trusted my gut and not stayed there. Don't let the pictures fool you. It's a lipstick makeover. The only nice thing was the receptionist!! When we entered our room (103) the smell hit us like a brick wall. I was so tired from being up since 4:00 in the morning that I tried to over pass it. Then I looked down and the carpet is torn up right by the front door. Then you walk in and the walls seem like a dog or cat went crazy over the wall paper. The wall paper was shredded in many places. Then the bathroom I can't even start. They didn't even paint around the door jam. The part that was painted was so dirty with stains that we tried hard not to touch anything. The shower was so dark and scary that we didn't even take a shower. I will never again stay or look at a Sleep Inn again!!!!
I did try to change my hotel but called three hotels and they were all booked. Thank goodness we had games all day that all we had to do is crawl into bed and sleep.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Patty L
Massillon
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Rate was good and we have been an many nice Sleep Inn's so we gave this one a try. We were dropping our son off for college at Kendall College of Art and Design and this hotel is in a great location for the hotel and everything else. Upon arrival there was a free Managers reception, 5-7pm. They server buffet style a salad, garlic bread and a broccoli/cheese/pasta casserole. Nice surprise. They also had Otis Spunkmeyer fresh baked cookies and the reception desk, another plus. Our room was very nice and odor free. It was clean and the beds were good and the pillows were plentiful and fluffy. Flat screen TV, no complaints about the room and we will be staying there again when we go back to visit our son at college, no doubt. The complementary hot breakfast had a nice variety of juices, cereal, yogurt, pastries, some kind of egg food thingy, sausage (I really didn't like the taste of it). However, my only focus was the waffle maker, strawberries and whipped topping for my waffle.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Florida
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Ended up here when a sister hotel around the corner was full. It is nice for a Sleep Inn. I had a handicap room which was the next to last room they had. The hotel is nice but is on the edge of going down hill do to maintance issues. The drinking fountains in the pool area didn't work, there were chipped and broken tiles also. The elevator had dirt and grime in the space between the paneling and the floor. There were several places in my room where the walls had been patched in a less then professional way.. With a little shine this place would be really nice, if they don't get on it the property is going to go down hill.

I thought that breakfast was fine and I do think this would be a great place if you were traveling with a pet as there is lots of open space to run.

The bed was decent.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank m2ice
Reviewed April 30, 2012 via mobile

1. Room need to be completed on updates.
2. Breakfast needs improvement. Worst than any greasy spoon.
3. Keep common areas clean.
4. Service Staff need hospitality training.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank mosincere
Cameron C, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
First we'd like to thank you for your stay and feedback. We would like to apologize if our hotel didn't live up to the standards expected of us.
In regards to the comments, yes our room updates do need to be completed and we expect the new furniture to arrive and be installed by the end of May.
We are always looking to improve our breakfast as well and are eagerly awaiting some new items and equipment. We believe these upgrades will improve the quality and look of our complimentary breakfast.
We strive very hard to keep our lobby and other public areas looking spotless, and will continue to wok at keeping the entire hotel spotless.
I am very disappointed that you were not happy with my staff. In regards to this matter I would love for you to contact me personally so that I can know exactly what they did in order to correct the behavior and make sure it doesn't happen again. Again I apologize that your stay wasn't top notch and would love to hear feedback from you personally in order to make it right.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed April 9, 2012

This is my second stay here and I'm giving it a higher rating this time because I might have been a little harsh in my last review. The room we had this time around was more modern and up-to-date (no ugly bed spread or old tube t.v.). I appreciate the fact that they only charge pet owners a $10 cleaning fee for the entire stay (not $25 per night like some hotels do). It's also in a nice location and has lots of green grass to run your dog. My only complaints are: 1.) no bathtub; shower stall only (I packed bubble bath!), 2.) there were some funky looking stains on the walls, ceiling, and switchplates, 3.) the breakfast buffet left a lot to be desired (just like the last time I visited). Other than that, it was a very pleasant stay and I would definitely come back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lizali
Cameron C, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
We would like to thank you for allowing us a second chance to make a first impression. As you noticed we are in the process of updating all of our guest rooms with new bedding and furniture to create a more up to date look. We would also like to thank you for expressing your concerns. We do have a limited number of rooms that have bathtubs, which are in fact jacuzzi tubs. We take the cleanliness of our rooms very seriously and these issues while disappointing, will be used as a great teaching tool for our housekeeping department and hotel staff as a whole. As for our breakfast buffet, you will be happy to learn that we are in the middle of updating that as well and will allow our guests to get their day started off on the right foot. Thank you again for your review.
Lansing, MI
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Hotel was nice, clean, pool was clean. I really like the showers in the Sleep Inn's. Bed was good, A/C, heater no issues. Overall a good time. Woke up too late for breakfast. Carpets in stairwells should be cleaned. Rooms are a little small for 4 people but adequate. A little hard to find off of the highway, need to exit onto 28th street and then turn onto a south bound road to get to 29th street.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
We would like to thank you for sharing your experience, and are happy that you enjoyed your time with us. We really appreciate the feedback as it allows us to continually improve upon the guest experience from the guest perspective. In regards to our location, we prefer to think of that in a positive light in that our guests do not hear the constant noise of vehicles travelling 28th St. Thanks again for your feedback.