“Don't Believe The Hype”

Sleep Inn & Suites
Ranked #28 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
“Don't Believe The Hype”
Reviewed April 30, 2012 via mobile

1. Room need to be completed on updates.
2. Breakfast needs improvement. Worst than any greasy spoon.
3. Keep common areas clean.
4. Service Staff need hospitality training.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank mosincere
Cameron C, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
First we'd like to thank you for your stay and feedback. We would like to apologize if our hotel didn't live up to the standards expected of us.
In regards to the comments, yes our room updates do need to be completed and we expect the new furniture to arrive and be installed by the end of May.
We are always looking to improve our breakfast as well and are eagerly awaiting some new items and equipment. We believe these upgrades will improve the quality and look of our complimentary breakfast.
We strive very hard to keep our lobby and other public areas looking spotless, and will continue to wok at keeping the entire hotel spotless.
I am very disappointed that you were not happy with my staff. In regards to this matter I would love for you to contact me personally so that I can know exactly what they did in order to correct the behavior and make sure it doesn't happen again. Again I apologize that your stay wasn't top notch and would love to hear feedback from you personally in order to make it right.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed April 9, 2012

This is my second stay here and I'm giving it a higher rating this time because I might have been a little harsh in my last review. The room we had this time around was more modern and up-to-date (no ugly bed spread or old tube t.v.). I appreciate the fact that they only charge pet owners a $10 cleaning fee for the entire stay (not $25 per night like some hotels do). It's also in a nice location and has lots of green grass to run your dog. My only complaints are: 1.) no bathtub; shower stall only (I packed bubble bath!), 2.) there were some funky looking stains on the walls, ceiling, and switchplates, 3.) the breakfast buffet left a lot to be desired (just like the last time I visited). Other than that, it was a very pleasant stay and I would definitely come back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lizali
Cameron C, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
We would like to thank you for allowing us a second chance to make a first impression. As you noticed we are in the process of updating all of our guest rooms with new bedding and furniture to create a more up to date look. We would also like to thank you for expressing your concerns. We do have a limited number of rooms that have bathtubs, which are in fact jacuzzi tubs. We take the cleanliness of our rooms very seriously and these issues while disappointing, will be used as a great teaching tool for our housekeeping department and hotel staff as a whole. As for our breakfast buffet, you will be happy to learn that we are in the middle of updating that as well and will allow our guests to get their day started off on the right foot. Thank you again for your review.
Lansing, MI
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Hotel was nice, clean, pool was clean. I really like the showers in the Sleep Inn's. Bed was good, A/C, heater no issues. Overall a good time. Woke up too late for breakfast. Carpets in stairwells should be cleaned. Rooms are a little small for 4 people but adequate. A little hard to find off of the highway, need to exit onto 28th street and then turn onto a south bound road to get to 29th street.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
We would like to thank you for sharing your experience, and are happy that you enjoyed your time with us. We really appreciate the feedback as it allows us to continually improve upon the guest experience from the guest perspective. In regards to our location, we prefer to think of that in a positive light in that our guests do not hear the constant noise of vehicles travelling 28th St. Thanks again for your feedback.
jef-ind
Reviewed December 16, 2011

Our family ended up here unexpectedly after the Quality Inn Terrace Court across the street turned out to be a disaster. The clerk checked us into a room and immediately went up to be sure that we had a crib in our room. The hotel felt fairly new and was well arranged and clean. The guest rooms were a bit smaller than the average, but well designed. They have stand-up showers only, no tubs, at least in the regular rooms. "Suites," I was told, are king bed rooms with a jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. There was a nice indoor pool, although we didn't get a chance to use it. It is conveniently located just off of 28th street corridor not far from the I-96 interchange. Overall, very good value for the money.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank jef-ind
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
Reviewed November 10, 2011

There are numerous midscale hotels in the area but this one by far is the best. I checked out seven of them for my long-term stay. I will leave seperate comments.

As for food, the breakfast is good, the dinner Monday-Thursday has a great variety, and coffee is always available 24/7. On Mondays-Thursdays there are also fresh cookies and popcorn. I do not think one could ever get sick of it!

As for amenities, the hotel has a nice indoor heated pool and spa. It is great because it is open late with specific "adults only" hours (sorry kids but better for the quiet).

As for staff, everyone is so nice and helpful! I literally would give everyone a specific shoutout, both to the front desk and the housekeeping staff!

As for hotel appearence, the rooms are very clean and the whole hotel is pet friendly. My dog def. enjoys it.

I will be sad to leave when it is time because the treatment is so good at the hotel! Thanks to the Sleep Inn (my first Choice Hotel stay actually). I will always be staying at Choice properties for the future.

Room Tip: The suites are great and feature a kitchen area and jacuzzi tub.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike N
Tucson
Reviewed November 6, 2011

There are many inns/motels around airports and Grand Rapids is no exception. This one is clean, new, very friendly and helpful staff, and has a good rate. By the way one might want to bargain or push a little on the rate as some of the discounts are quite good. The included breakfast was good, if not a great culinary experience. Also just happened to be an unadvertised manager's special in the late afternoon, which one could make into a light supper.
When ran into a problem about their providing shuttle service to a meeting place, which we had misunderstood that they would do, they were ready to bend the rules to help us out. Good folk!
In hearing different places compared, this one came out very well on price, cleanliness and service.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank saintjack
SleepInnGR, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, November 9, 2011
Thank you so much for your positive review of our hotel! On behalf of our hotel staff, I am writing to let you know how delighted we were to receive your kind words of praise.

Given the very nature of the hotel business, the hours are long and demanding.
Day or night, good service depends upon people willing to give their very
best at all times. That's why it's truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our
staff’s efforts, and takes the time to say thank you.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their night's stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. But, it's only through their eyes
that we can accurately assess the quality of the accommodations and services
we provide.

L. Murphy
Gaylord, Michigan
Reviewed October 23, 2011

We stayed here on our 2nd night in Grand Rapids. It was SO CLEAN!!!!! Rooms were a little small, however, you get a mini fridge and a microwave in your room. Which made it SO nice when having to heat up baby food for my infant. (IF COMPARING THIS with the QUALITY INN on 28th Street, STAY HERE that place is disgusting!) The front staff was very nice and helpful. The dining area, and pool area were very clean. Rooms were spot less with no funny smells. We have to return to GR in a couple of weeks, and this will be the place we stay at! It is a half a second from 28th street, close to a mall, great places to eat and lots of shopping stores. They supply good size flat screens in the room, and we were even able to hook up our netflix through a PS3! Again, i would recommend this place!

Room Tip: A great room, for a great price!!! Clean!!! (Choose this over Quality Inn on 28th!)
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family