“Good value for the money”

Clarion Inn & Suites Airport
Ranked #33 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed January 23, 2012

There are many hotels by the Grand Rapids Michigan Gerald R. Ford Airport. This is about 15 minutes from downtown Grand Rapids, which is a nice little downtown. Three of us were staying there for a work brain storming session, so just needed a clean room with some room to work. We got one regular room and one suite with 2 beds and an adjoining room with chair, desk, couch, fridge, microwave and tv. Perfect for working. The larger room was about $87.

Seems like the more expensive the hotel the less likely your are to get free wifi, which frustrates the hell out of me. Free wifi here. Also a decent free breakfast each morning.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed January 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Clarion to park and fly out to Biloxi. From the time we came through the doors until the time we left we were beyond pleased. The staff could not have been friendlier, the King Suite we had was gorgeous and extremely clean! They even offer free dinners on certain days of the week. The bed was clean and very comfortable. We had a very early flight, so we missed the fabulous breakfast they offer, but still at 4:30 a.m. they had had a variety of muffins etc. On our return flight we called them and within 10 minutes the shuttle was their to pick us up and return us to our car. I would highly recommend staying at the Clarion and will return!

Room Tip: We had a King Suite, so my husband could watch his sports in one room on the couch, while I relaxed...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bjhilly
Reviewed December 15, 2011

This was a "Top Secret" hotel through Travelocity and I doubt I will use that service again. The Clarion Inn and Suites is in a great location for highways in every direction, the airport and also many eating establishments and not far from a couple of big malls but the hotel itself??? I won't be staying there again unless I run low on funds.

The hotel is clean and the staff are extremely friendly and accommodating but, oh my! The walls are thin and you can hear conversations, people peeing in the bathroom, and more! Don't stay here if you want a romantic evening unless you are a verbal exhibitionist (whatever that is called).

The alarm went off in the next room at 4:54 and buzzed incessantly for at least 15 minutes before I called the front desk and somebody came down to turn it off. The doors are not at all soundproof, either and you can hear conversations as you walk down the hall.

There is a free breakfast and it is the usual stuff although hot eggs and meat is an option - but I am no longer willing to eat off brittle styrofoam and use plastic utensils. I have decided that is one of the criteria in future to decide whether or not I stay in a particular hotel. They also have a light dinner available at no cost, again on styrofoam.

Free wi-fi and complimentary Wall Street Journal. Weight room/gym is modest and somewhat worn with no free weights, balls or other equipment - just the five pieces of equipment. But there is enough to work up a sweat.

My biggest complaint was the house keeping. My used glass, coffee mug, disposable coffee cup from breakfast, were all there when I got back at the end of the day. The coffee maker was as I left it with about an inch of cold tea in it. That was an oversight on day one - but day two and its beginning to pile up. TWO days in a row and they didn't replace my mug or throw away the styrofoam one.

And I was trying to be green and hung my towels to be re-used but they changed them anyway.

Closet is free standing and too small for my coat to hang without dragging. Air conditioner/heater is a constant blow and not too noisy.

Overall, a modest hotel with great front counter staff. A couple of other reviews said the beds were too soft....I don't agree. Quite firm and comfortable with good pillows.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 13, 2011

We recently traveled to Grand Rapids to visit my family and we were very happy with the accommodations at the Clarion hotel. The staff was very friendly and welling to help. We will be sure to stay here again when we come to visit next.

Thanks Kaitlin

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Matthew R
Reviewed December 1, 2011

The General Manager and her staff, Anna M., in particular, were very friendly, prompt and professional. In addition, they provided a restaurant recommendation that was spot-on.

My colleagues and I will be sure to stay there on our next trip out.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 30, 2011

The GM is AWSOME. Her staff is great. Rooms good and clean. 061210

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed November 29, 2011

They know me by name here at the Clarion Inn in Grand Rapids and vice-versa. My name is Alan Weiner and I work for a company located in Kentwood,MI called TJOHNE, Inc. We are an entertainment company that travels all over the United States providing fun for everyone. Of all my stays, the 'hometown' Clarion provides me with more pleasant stays and top-notch services than most of the rest. At the start of every tour, I am here to get myself organized and get a familar welcome by the staff here and I always get it no matter what time I get here. During the tour I also get the same great service when I make my way back to home base. Smiles and helpful hands make their ways toward me and make me feel special. I am normally the person providing this kind of exemplorary service to my own clients, so it is nice to have that kind of detail-oriented service shown to me. This is the only place I want to stay when I am here and they always let me know how appreciative they are for having myself and my fellow workers stay with them. Stephanie and her staff know my name and I know theirs. That is how it should be. A family welcoming me back, again and again. This is my home away from home. -Alan Weiner (TJOHNE INC)
Stephanie Cutler 061210

Room Tip: Call in advance for a room that suits your needs. They are very busy here especially considering tha...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business