“Kind of a big deal!!”

Ranked #35 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Westerville, Ohio
“Kind of a big deal!!”
Reviewed August 25, 2011

First of all... let me say that I stay at lot of different hotels 3-5 overnights a week and I know good service. I'm kind of a big deal and I rarely feel motivated to write a review but in this case I felt I should.

I originally booked for one night at this Clarion and ended up staying two.

Service: The service I received was top notch.
Stephanie the GM is funny, cute, and witty while being very professional. Kardo who was working both nights I was there was accomodating and outgoing as well... very fun staff.

Location: Near several good restaurants and shopping establishments

The room: Beds were comfotable, room was clean, multiple HBO channels, nice flat screen TV's and the standard room included a refrigerator and Microwave.

Ammenities: The pool was clean and refreshing.
The workout room was nice - all equipment working (except the bike which I brought to their attention)
Guest laundry (ony a buck per machine)
Breakfast and dinner (dinner mon-thurs)
Business center - Everything worked

All in all a great hotel for less than 100 bucks... I will definitely be staying here when visiting Grand Rapids.

Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Scott L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Alvada, Ohio
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Upon check-in the staff was very courtious and easy to talk to and couldn't ask for any better. The room was very clean and the beds very comfy. Many food venues near by with a helpful may at the counter to point them out. We were both very impressed with the motel and will stay there again when we return. Large breakfast area.

Room Tip: The bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
oregon
Reviewed August 12, 2011

There are two rooms that are labeled accessible. Neither of which has a roll in shower making it inaccessible for many folks. As one of our party requires this as part of the stay it will determine whether we can stay there again. It seems an easy fix and would encourage our rather large party to return each year. The staff was amazing and we hope to see things changed by next year.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 7, 2011

First gave me a key that had people in the room. Second they website misrepresented the room and they said that it was corporate's fault. Room was dirty and they pull out bed has small Curley hairs on the sheets. They were very unaccomidating. My advice - stay somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2011
South Florida
Reviewed August 7, 2011

My son got married in Lowell at the Fallasburg Park (I was the father of the groom). I took on the job to secure a lodging location for the brides's family and groom's family, plus out of town friends. (I needed to block approximately 20 rooms for the wedding). I do not live in Michigan and therefore had to locate the hotel via website and phone calls. I called multiple hotels near the wedding venue and the Clarion Inn & Suites Grand Rapids personnel were extremely knowledgeable, accommodating and friendly. The room cost was moderate which was very important because I did not want to select a hotel that was too expensive, but at the same time I didn't want a hotel that was considered "inexpensive" and take the risk that the accommodations would be inadequate. I did not know the bride's family and therefore wanted a nice place, but not at the sacrifice of them paying an arm and leg for their lodging. I needed a hotel that would provide a great experience for a moderate cost. The website was very detailed regarding ammenites provided and the pictures gave an accurate portrayal of the facility. The Clarion Inn & Suites Grand Rapids was a great experience for a reasonable cost. Stephanie (General Manager) was so very helpful. Prior to our arrival I would e-mail Stephanie regarding various questions and changes and she was very quick to respond. She was relaxed and efficient and as the guests arrived her staff was very accommodating to their varying needs and never once made anyone feel as though we were "bothering" them. The staff was great! Many of the Bride's family memebers told me that their experience at the hotel was great; which meant alot to me because I had accepted the responsibility to locate the lodging location and I was glad to know I had made a great choice. Stephanie (the front desk manager) heard that the bride and groom were also going to stay at the hotel and she ordered a huge bouquet of white roses and decorated the room with balloons and provided a card from the hotel - plus they got breakfast in bed. WOW!!!! How very nice of the hotel. In addition, the hotel has a great "hot" breakfast (free). The breakfast room was also available for use after breakfast was finished and our group would meet there to converse and we even used it as a place to create signs, have a drink with friends (sometimes late into the evening) and we even used the room for the bride and groom to open gifts the day after the wedding with family and friends. The pool was great for the kids and the young adults enjoyed the fitness room. Being that the wedding was in a park there were many last minute things to do and Gordon Foods was very close. In addition there are many restaurants within walking distance and one of the groomsmen needed a tee shirt and Target was across the road. It was a very convenient location with easy access to the freeway and some of guests used the free hotel/airport shuttle service. The Clarion Inn & Suites Grand Rapids provided us a great experience and I will always remember and appreciate this. I asked if I could leave a monetary tip for the various staff that were so intregal to providing both families a great experience and this was the reply - "We do not accept tips - but would greatly appreciate if you would rate your experience on Trip Advisor for the benefit of the entire hotel". Wow!!!! The employees were not concerned about their individual gain, but instead were concerned about the team and hotel. Once again - they proved that they were there to provide a quality service and not there for personal gain only. (An extremely impressive group of employees). I would highly recommend this facility. Rollin B.

Room Tip: Beds are high (double thick pillowtop mattress). Ask for lower bed if you are phys. disabled.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank RoadiesSouthFlorida
Bronx, New York
Reviewed August 6, 2011

We stayed here with our 2 kids when our flight was cancelled out of Grand Rapids. This place exceeded our expectations in several ways. The shuttle was there for us immediately. They have a discounted rate for stranded travelers. They serve free breakfast and a simple buffet dinner. The desk clerk called the caterer to find out if the meal would be ok for my son, who has a nut allergy. The room was clean and had a big flat-screen tv. Downsides... there was no fan in the bathroom. The satellite TV kept dropping out (maybe due to weather). All in all, I highly recommend this motel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Lisle
Reviewed August 5, 2011

We stayed here on our way up to upper Michigan and liked it so much that we decided to stay on our way back to Chicago as well. Older motel that has been completely refurbished. Very clean, comfortable beds and chairs to relax in. Would plan to return during future visits to Michigan. Suites are two separate rooms which makes it nice for families and added privacy.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple