“So many things wrong.”

Ranked #7 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Wisconsin
“So many things wrong.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

I read through some of the previous reviews and I don't understand them as their experience was quite different from mine. Perhaps if you are only there for one day during the week, it's ok but if you stay for any length of time, be prepared for an unpleasant stay. I spent the past five days there and the fighting staff pushed me over the edge to write this review.

First, the room: The kitchen lacks a stove and only has a small two burner cooktop. This makes it pretty difficult to prepare any kind of meal. The kitchen is also ill supplied and lacks many of the basic cooking implements to make a simple meal.

The pull out bed has THE worst mattress. It should not be in use. It is old, saggy and squishes down into a flat pancake such that you can feel every spring on the frame. You will wake up with a back ache. The "blanket" was a gross, disgusting piece of foam. I kid you not! It was horrible. After the first night, I went out and bought my own blanket.

The bathtub drained exceedingly slowly.

The tv is not HD so the picture is poor. The tvs also did not sync the words with the person talking and there did not appear to be a way to correct this in the menu.

Second, the hotel: The meals the hotel provide are almost inedible. It is terrible food; hence the reason one needs to cook one's own meals. Stick with the fresh fruit as much as possible.

There is NEVER anyone at the front desk at night. I have no idea where the person goes. The front door is open all night and anyone can walk in. With no one attending the front desk, the hotel is not secure.

The fire alarm went off twice. Once late morning and once about ten in the evening. As it has been all winter, it was very cold outside and they don't plow the parking lot so to leave the building for false alarms is ridiculous...not to mention it woke up our toddler who was quite frightened by the alarm ringing over her head. Really? Should there even be two false fire alarms?

As mentioned, the parking lot is not plowed.

The staff: I am 60 years old. I am well traveled. I have stayed in many, many hotels. I have NEVER experienced the cleaning staff fighting in the hallways....that is until today. I was in my room, with the door shut. I could hear extremely loud arguing. I opened my door. No one was in the hallway but the arguing was quite heated and very, very loud. I walked down the hallway, to the intersecting hallway and down that hallway was the cleaning staff arguing. It was so loud, it was alarming. My daughter called down to the front desk to report this. A few minutes later, another staff member ran past our door towards the fighting staff. She was yelling at them to be quiet but they continued their argument. She was able to get them to stop after several attempts, but after she left, they started up again. My daughter told me two of the cleaning staff were arguing in her room the week before as they were cleaning her room. One was accusing the other of taking things from her cart. In retrospect, I wish I would have videotaped it to send to the corporate office.

One day upon returning to the room, the cleaning staff picked up the dirty towels from the floor and returned them to the towel bar. We had to call down to the front desk for clean towels.

Another day, the cleaning staff left no toilet paper...not discovered until on the toilet!

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT stay here on the weekend if you want a quiet place to stay. It seems the entire metropolitan area books rooms here to party. The rooms are filled with big groups of people who are drinking, carrying on and running around the hallways. Kids are running up and down the halls unattended late into the night. People are having sex loud enough that we can hear every moan and wail through the wall...for an hour! I encountered a stray dog barking at me as I descended the stairs when going out to my car...no owner in sight on either the second or third floor. The rooms are not sound proof and sound travels easily in this hotel. It felt like I was in Florida for spring break in my college days. Staff should not allow all this raucous behavior, particularly after nine at night.

Overall, this was among the poorest hotels at which I have stayed. Like I said in the beginning, maybe if you are passing through for one night during the week, it seems ok, but any longer than that and over a weekend, it is dismal.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank gbrac
TMIHospitality, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Grand Rapids, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear Gbrac,
Thank you for your review. I'm so sorry to hear that you had a less than perfect stay with us. I wish I had known about your concerns while you were still with us so that I could have helped to correct them. Guest satisfaction is extremely important to us, and I would like to apologize that we were unable to give you an exceptional experience. I will share your comments with my staff to make sure we are working harder than ever to impress our guests. Please allow us another opportunity to make up for this on your next visit to Grand Rapids.

Rebecca K.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Grand Rapids, MI.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

We needed to stay here overnight because our pipes froze and broke. My wife uses Hilton for business so we just drove over to this hotel without a thought. For $109 a night you get a two room suite that has a full kitchen. Also included is a really good breakfast in the morning and also a dinner from Monday through Thursday with wine or beer. This place is kept up real nice and clean with a comfortable king size bed. Two 40" LG TVs that have a great selection of channels. Complementary water bottles and cookies when you check in. Really no reason to go any where else since this is so nice.

Room Tip: Try for the 3rd floor
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
TMIHospitality, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Grand Rapids, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Hi KRPINGRMI,
Thank you so much for your great review! We are so glad that you decided to stay with us when your pipes froze. It is never a happy situation when something like that happens, but we love that we were able to accommodate you, and give you a warm room to come home to. We love our roomy, residential style suites that allow you to spread out and relax like you are at home! I will be sure to pass along your great comments to our staff. We hope to see you again soon!

Warm thanks,
Saginaw, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

My wife and I traveled to Grand Rapids to see our new granddaughter and we stayed at this hotel because of its proximity to my daughter's residence. We found our suite to be clean and comfortable. We also enjoyed the complementary breakfast in the morning. We will stay here again and would recommend it to anyone traveling to the area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

TMIHospitality, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Grand Rapids, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Hi Robert M,
Thank you so much for your lovely review! We are so thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and our amenities and accommodations. We love our hotel, and want all of our guests to have the best experience possible. Congratulations on your new granddaughter! We hope to see you again soon!

Best regards,
Sunfield, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

Went here with the family for a winter getaway, staff was great, nice room with fireplace. Enjoyed the pool and hot tub. Close to many restaurants, and brought pizza back to the room. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

TMIHospitality, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Grand Rapids, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Hi Scott S,
Thank you so much for the kind review! We loved having you and your family with us! We are thrilled that you were able to enjoy our roomy suites, indoor saltwater swimming pool and hot tub and in room fireplace. It is certainly nice to relax and enjoy a warm weekend getaway! We hope to see you again soon!

Oak Forest, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I, along with another couple just got back from a weekend stay at this hotel. We got an amazing rate on a 2 bedroom suite. When we arrived to check in, our room wasn't ready, so they offered us a room that was ready that had a King size bed in each room. This was a big plus because the original reservation had only a King in one room, a queen in the other. That was all that was available at the time I booked. Very pleased!

The beds were very comfortable! The room was fantastic! Loved how much room there was and really enjoyed the fireplace too! It really had a different "feel" to it than a regular hotel room. It had a home away from home feel.

We really enjoyed the hot breakfast. Much better than what I've seen at other hotels. Plenty of healthy options! Great coffee!

We also used the business center to buy and print tickets for a downtown comedy club. Worked perfectly!

The staff was very friendly and helpful too!

We knew we would be spending a lot of time downtown, but no need to pay extra for a hotel in the city. This is close enough and really top notch. We will be back! Thank you to the staff for making it a great stay!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
TMIHospitality, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Grand Rapids, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Hi Michelle M,
Wow!! Thank you so much for the excellent review! We are beyond thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our large, newly renovated guest rooms to be comfortable, spacious and perfect for your weekend get away! We love our property and being able to provide the best service, amenities and accommodations to our guests. We can't wait to see you again when you return to Grand Rapids!

Nashville, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

Location, service, amenities and a great place to conduct business or relax with family. Consistently a great value regardless of how demanding you might be. I always enjoy a clean, quite room after a long day on the road. It is refreshing to know that Homewood Suites is available and offers comforts like I have at home.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

TMIHospitality, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Grand Rapids, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Hi Dan V,
Thank you so much for the wonderful review!! We are thrilled that you know you can rely on us for great accommodations, amenities and service. With the unpredictable weather, we love being a comforting and warm place to arrive to after a long drive. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Midwest
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

This was my first hotel stay in Grand Rapids, MI many years ago. This hotel has maintained and done the necessary upgrades to stay a visually appealing spot while not losing sight of the important must haves like cleanliness and friendliness. For any extended stay I appreciate having the option to eat at the hotel or use the full size refrigerator. I also thought the in bed reading lights were a nice touch. As a business traveler I liked being close to the strip and highway especially on the days there was snow on the ground.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

TMIHospitality, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Grand Rapids, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Hi SrSajda!
Thank you for the wonderful review!! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us! We pride ourselves on providing extraordinary service, amenities and accommodations and it is great to hear that we did just that. Our guest rooms were renovated in 2013 and our lobby is scheduled to begin its transformation in February--we would love to have you back to see our new look. We hope to see you again soon!