“Nice Hotel - Lousy Bookkeeping!”

Courtyard Grand Rapids Downtown
Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Alexandria, Virginia
“Nice Hotel - Lousy Bookkeeping!”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

This is a nice hotel located in the downtown area of Grand Rapids. It's connected via an elevated walkway to the Convention Center, which is very convenient during the cold winter months. Hotel rooms were clean and the whole facility seemed in very good shape. Staff was friendly and helpful. The only problem I have with the hotel is that I booked through AMEX Travel and paid for the room up front, but when I checked out I noticed a complete charge for the room again. I mentioned at the front desk that I had payed for the room up front and was told that the incorrect billing would be deleted. That was three weeks ago and I still have the double billing in the system and I am working through AMEX to get the charge turned since I can't get the hotel (after three different calls during that period) to correct their mistake. My low grade for the hotel experience is based on this issue. Without the issue this is easily a 4 out of 5 hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Carrie S, Manager at Courtyard Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing this important feedback. I am very sorry about the error with the your credit card - you should not have been charged twice, and the additional charge should have dropped off much sooner. I am glad that aside from this matter your stay was enjoyable, and hope to have you back sometime soon for another visit. Thank you for your kind words about our facility and staff.

C. Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Oxford, Michigan
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

Had a concert over the weekend that was cancelled but decided to make a weekend of it anyway. Hotel itself is in decent shape. The foyer and bar are very very nice. I will agree with some reviewers that there does seem to be a slight musty smell in the rooms. Nothing horrible but worth noting. I had a king suite. It was decent but nothing immaculate. Could use a little updating especially in the bathroom. No major complaints but for the price it should be a little more updated. I do need to give a special shout out to Alexis. She overheard about my concert being cancelled and she personally delivered a gift basket with tickets to the local food and wine show and other goodies to my room. You are awesome Alexis! I will definitely be back

• Stayed November 2012
Lodi, California
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Our recent stay at this fantastic hotel for our son's wedding left us raving about the amenities and excellent service this fine establishment provided! And to top it all off, it is smack in the middle of all the action! Located right on the river, it is within walking distance of the Gerald Ford Museum, downtown boutique shops, and right across the street from "The BOB (Big Old Building)" that is loaded with eateries and nightclubs. I guarantee you we will stay here again on our next trip to Grand Rapids, Michigan!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Ithaca, Mi
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Stayed on a weekend in July with three girlfriends - perfect hotel for an overnight stay in downtown Grand Rapids! They have onsite parking for $14, and you can plan to leave your car and walk to several places of interest in the area. Directly across the street is the B.O.B, an entertainment complex with restaurants, lounges, comedy clubs, breweries, etc - something for everyone! T.G.I.Friday's is also across the street. The hotel offers complimentary coffee in the morning in the chic lobby. Very nice accommodations - what a fun place to stay!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Carrie S, Manager at Courtyard Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us for your weekend with the girls and for sharing this review! We are fortunate to be in such an ideal location for our business and leisure travelers alike. We are glad you had chance to experience many of the fantastic attractions, restaurants, and nightlife right nearby and that you took note of our recently updated lobby. Please stay with us again soon!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stay here for work and am looking to find a hotel for a similar rate ASAP. The rooms of this hotel have a very musty smell that cannot be ignored. Not sure if it's the carpet or couches or what, but it has pushed me to write this review. I have been in 4 rooms to far, and all have had this issue. Additionally others in my work group have commented their rooms have the musty smell as well.
This issue needs to be taken care of ASAP, especially because the lobby, the staff, the parking and bistro are good but not comparable to the smell of the rooms.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
White Lake, Michigan, United States
Reviewed November 1, 2012

The Courtyard Marriott is a great Hotel and very close to all the happenings of downtown Grand Rapids. The room was nice and very clean and lots of room. Compared to the prices of the nearby hotels this was a good offer. We paid $209 for a suite. The pool is normally opened 24 hrs which I have never heard of before but that night it had closed due to being cleaned. They also have a 24 hr. gym as well. TGI Fridays and many other resturaunts are within walking distance and they even have horse carriages that will go right by the hotels. The cost for them is $40 for half hour or $70 for a full hour. Not bad if you want a romantic night!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sandy J
Carrie S, Manager at Courtyard Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying in a suite with us and for sharing this review of your experience! I apologize that you weren't able to enjoy the pool 24 hours - this is a great benefit for guests on any schedule. We are fortunate to have so many restaurants and fun things to do within walking distance, and I'm glad you took note! Please join us again soon, we look forward to hosting you!

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Greeted by friendly and helpful staff on arrival, who smiled and said hello each time we came into the lobby - really enjoyed the feel of this hotel. Location was good. Room was comfortable and amenities good. Timed our trip well to also enjoy the annual art prize, so plenty of interest to see, and good atmosphere in the streets.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank hend0107
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for sharing this great review! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and were able to take in ArtPrize. I am also glad that you enjoyed the environment of our hotel and appreciated our friendly staff. I hope we have the opportunity to host you again during your next visit to Grand Rapids!