“Hostile to handicapped, lousy WiFi, poor housekeeping and more”

Courtyard Grand Rapids Downtown
Ranked #13 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
apportum
“Hostile to handicapped, lousy WiFi, poor housekeeping and more”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I have stayed at many Marriott brands over the years ad this is the first one I have been totally dissatisfied with.

The entrance sign is small and parallel to the street. We missed it the first time and the second time, we saw a sign with "Additional Marriott Parking" on it. Thinking we had missed the hotel again, we turned at a sign that said "Marriott Parking". Turns out the first sign had smaller type that directed you around the corner for the overflow parking - at the big sign that proclaimed "Marriott Parking". Wound up on a lower level that was entirely handicapped hostile relatively steep ramps, no automatic door openers, a long inclined corridor with no handrails. How they get away with this, I don't know, but I will be contacting the appropriate agencies. I will also be posting pictures later.

Our room - right next to the vending machines - looked nice on first impression. And then we found the empty beverage can behind the curtains. Our room faces Monroe St., which has an amazing amount of motorcycle traffic. Loud motorcycle traffic.

The WiFi stinks. Being an experienced traveler, I carry a high-performance WiFi antenna with me. I haven't found a Marriott WiFi channel yet that gets me above 5.5 Mbps and he signal strengths vary all over the place.

All in all, this has not been a pleasant experience. Poor and confusing signage. Handicapped-hostile. Housekeeping that leaves empty beverage cans behind. Kind of place that prompted us to pull the covers back to see if there were any little visitors there. There weren't - or at least we haven't seen them.

I grant you, I am really ticked off about the poor signage and the very handicapped hostile environment. And you know what? I think I am fully entitled to be peeved. My experience may be rare - but it is real. Won't be staying here again. Yes, we could ask for another room and such, but frankly we're tired and really ticked off.

Jerry

Room Tip: Handicapped hostile. Make sure you drive slowly on Monroe, so you don't miss the small sign para...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Carrie S, Manager at Courtyard Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us while you were in Grand Rapids, and for your loyalty to the Marriott brand. Thank you also for sharing your review and bringing these issues to our attention.

We're proud to report that we recently brought in a professional team to assess our parking lots and signage to make sure everything is marked as well as possible, and now have parking signs
at both the upper and lower level parking lots, and signs at the motor lobby entrance explaining valet and self parking fees.

We are so very sorry that the facility you parked in was not accommodating for people with disabilities. Since there are many neighboring parking structures near the hotel, we would like to know exactly which one you parked in so that even if it isn't our property perhaps we could make suggestions for management. Please contact our Guest Care Manager, Alexis Baker, at abaker@courtyardgr.com to provide more information about this very important issue.

Another improvement we are making is beginning to use the I-Bahn, which is the latest and greatest for internet connectivity. This system will allow for stronger internet connections for our guests.

We are so very sorry for your unpleasant experience and would appreciate the opportunity to communicate more with you about it. Thank you again for staying with us and for posting your review.

C. Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Sparta, Michigan, United States
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Just stayed at the hotel this weekend! Stayed on the 6th floor. The minute we got off the elevator the musky smell hit you. We got to our room and the smell was even worse in the room! We have stayed at both the JW and the Amway in the past and wished we had gone there instead. For 10-20$ more a night is it so worth it!! Will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and for bringing this important issue to our attention. Around the time of your stay, we were completing some renovations and deep cleaning the carpets, and believe that the carpets weren't fully dried, causing an unpleasant odor. We sincerely apologize for this, and would like to get more information from you so that we can ensure this doesn't happen again. If you would please contact our Guest Care Manager, Alexis Baker, at abaker@courtyardgr.com, we would really appreciate it. Thank you again for sharing this important feedback, and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again.

SD
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I got one of the last 2 rooms available the night I stayed - I needed to get out of the heat and humidity after a 3 hour drive from Northern Michigan. I arrived and was greeted by Eric who took the suitcases, took care of valet parking the vehicle, and was so accommodating to me, I felt like I had been there before. The hotel had wedding parties, bachelor parties, and bachelorette parties that evening and I heard nothing. The staff was pretty well stretched, but not one of them ever let it show. They were all polite, offering to help, and with smiles that showed such pride in their work. Courtyard should be very proud of these folks. Then I received a thank you for staying darn near before I checked out. What a nice feeling.

Room Tip: I paid premium for this room - located on the 4th floor and faced the street - still no noise, and...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Carrie S, Manager at Courtyard Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for stopping in to stay with us, and for sharing this wonderful review! The experience you recounted is what the hospitality business is all about - providing a welcoming oasis where guests can rejuvenate. I am so glad that our friendly staff made you feel so at home, and home that you will visit us again when you are next in Grand Rapids.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

$19 to park. + $200 per night for a Courtyard? Nice, but way overpriced. "Restaurant" is a mini Starbucks with poor breakfast options. Not worth the $$$$.

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Michigan, United States
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I would NEVER recommend this hotel! We reserved 2 rooms and didn't get the keys for the second one until 5 hours after we checked in. I can count on ONE hand of how many friendly staff members they have & the rest we're rude! I have never had such a bad experience in my life and because of this trip I will never stay at another Courtyard in my life!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Carrie S, Manager at Courtyard Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying at our hotel and for sharing this important feedback with us. We are looking into this important matter and would like to know more about how you received your keys so late and how you were treated by our staff. We pride ourselves on providing excellent customer service, and want to fix anything that may have went wrong to create this negative experience for you. Please contact our Guest Services Manager, Alexis Baker, directly at 616-242-6625 to discuss this further.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and we hope to have you back again at the Courtyard by Marriott.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Spent 1 night before taking a flight back home. Location is very good, walking distance to restaurants and bars. Rooms were nice and modern. Up to expectations for a Courtyard. Staff at the front desk were ok, and parking was affordable.

I would stay there again on my next trip in the region.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Carrie S, Manager at Courtyard Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us during your trip to Grand Rapids, and for taking the time to write a review about your experience. We're glad you appreciated the convenient location of the hotel and our updated rooms. We look forward to seeing you again when you are in the city again!

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I travel a lot and spend a lot of time at a lot of Courtyards and this one was top notch! Great location in Grand Rapids. Initially I was put in a handicapped room and when I requested something else they put me in a king suite which was magnificent. Really enjoyed it!

Only negative is I tried to print my boarding pass in the lobby pc's, they are not working well and need some attention.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business