“Beautiful hotel stay, not good eats.”

Courtyard Grand Rapids Downtown
Ranked #13 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed November 6, 2011

YAY!
-very clean, comfortable, up-to-date room
-wonderful staff
-great workout room
-Starbucks coffee in the lobby cafe
-proximity to downtown restaurants

NAY
-though free, wireless internet was incredibly slow and spotty
-food in lobby cafe was terrible, i.e. less-than-fresh tasting salads, slow service

I stayed here for work for 5 nights and greatly enjoyed my stay except for the two things mentioned above.

Room Tip: End of the hall away from the elevator was very quiet. Try and get a river view!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Great venue for breakfast, nice rooms, friendly staff. Clean and crisp. Easy access to the heart of downtown.

Room Tip: Try for a view of the river.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 17, 2011

I'll start by saying we loved the location, the clean rooms, and the view. Usually when visiting Grand Rapids we stay at the JW but they were completely booked well ahead of our stay so we chose the Courtyard this time. The room we were assigned was handicap accessible which wasn't required but was fine with us. It was a spacious corner room, decorated nicely, with a view of the Van Andel Arena. We appreciated the extra sheet covering the blanket, a nice touch adding to the overall cleanliness of the room. The bed was almost as comfortable as the beds at JW. Unfortunately, our sleep was interrupted at 5:00am by the police pounding on the door next to ours, yelling loudly to the occupants inside. Yikes. After looking out the peephole and deciding that whatever was happening didn't involve us, we tried to get some more rest but it wasn't easy. At checkout I mentioned it to the clerk and he confirmed that the police were indeed looking for someone but they couldn't give us any more information other than the intended person wasn't even booked in the room next to ours. A brief "sorry for that" as we were walking away was the extent of the apology. We have both wondered how often that sort of thing happens at this location on any given Saturday night.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2011

This is a great hotel for the cost. If you want a little more luxury than the JW Marriott is the place for you, but you can't beat the price for the location. The Courtyard has a remodeled lobby, and a few nice dinning options, but the best place to eat is across the street at the B.O.B. The rooms are standard courtyard rooms, and I would ask for a view facing the river, as it is very nice in the morning. The staff are very courteous and kind. The only weird part of the hotel is the parking situation, which is confusing and requires tokens, which seems antiquated and out of date. I would highly recommend any GR traveler on a budget.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I have stayed here a few times and was very happy. The rooms are nicely appointed & decorated with plenty of space, and clean (a must for me)! The location is perfect if you are dining or attending attractions downtown. The pool was average but if you have kids they will be satisfied. My only complaint was the service in the restaurant was poor, however in their defense it was very busy that night and morning because of a concert at Van Andel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Very nice facility, walking distance to various downtown venues.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 17, 2011

I was very disappointed in this hotel selection. I am a platinum member at Marriott and was not impressed. Not only was I not impressed, I was unhappy with my selection. The first room I was provided smelled like BO and i immediately asked for a room change. The second one I received smelled a little different but not as bad. When I returned home to go to bed i found my neighbor on his phone and could make out every single word....the walls are like paper. I am a light sleeper and knew this was not good. Needless to say, I will never stay here again. On the positive side, people were friendly and it is a great location to restaurants and bars.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business