“Downtown”

Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Indiana
“Downtown”
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Very nice facility, walking distance to various downtown venues.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed August 17, 2011

I was very disappointed in this hotel selection. I am a platinum member at Marriott and was not impressed. Not only was I not impressed, I was unhappy with my selection. The first room I was provided smelled like BO and i immediately asked for a room change. The second one I received smelled a little different but not as bad. When I returned home to go to bed i found my neighbor on his phone and could make out every single word....the walls are like paper. I am a light sleeper and knew this was not good. Needless to say, I will never stay here again. On the positive side, people were friendly and it is a great location to restaurants and bars.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank island30
plymouth, mi
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We've stayed at this hotel before and really enjoyed it. It's right in the heart of downtwn Grand Rapids within walking distance to one of our favorite restaurants (Bistro Bella Vita) and one of our favorite music venues (The Intersection) as well as other hotspots The Bob and Van Andel Arena. The rooms are big, clean, modern and comfortable. The views are nice. The pool is great. The Wi-fi works well and is free, and parking is convenient. It's not a cheap place to stay - but the ammenities are very nice and given the level of accomodations it is competitive for the price.

Check in was a breeze, the guy was nice enough. So far so good! However, when we got to our room we were disappointed to find that we had been placed in a disabled-access room. This presents a problem for us because there is no lip on the shower and the bathroom floor floods as a result, making preparations for a night out or a day at work very difficult. The mirror and sink are also lowered to accomodate weelchairs.

We called the front desk and politely asked to be relocated and were told "sorry, but there are no more rooms." Well, I could appreciate that if this were 9pm on a weekend night or there was some huge conference going on, but it was 5pm on a Tuesday. The parking lot was nearly empty. I find it hard to believe they couldn't have wrangled us a new room with a little effort. We expected more from the Marriot chain and were disappointed with their lack of effort in this matter. Such a shame because this hotel is a great spot when visiting this under-appreciated city center! Not sure if this was a deal breaker for us or not as we plan our next visit to Grand Rapids.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank adavici
Reviewed August 4, 2011

The hotel was just average. The staff wasn't overly helpful. Rooms were clean and just a traditional room...nothin special. We paid almost $200.00 for one night with parking which was a little expensive in my opinion. I would probably check in to other hotels on my next stay.

• Stayed August 2011
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Stayed overnight (Friday-Saturday). The Courtyard is located in Downtown Grand Rapids, convenient to the night life (however much of it is in GR). The building is a bit weird in that it shares the location with an apartment complex. The parking is pretty reasonable for a city hotel at $11/night. Big-screen LCD TV with the hookups for a laptop, Internet is free, but unreliable - the only ding on this place, really. GR isn't much of a vacation spot, but for business and a night stop-over can't beat it. I wouldn't pay more than $100 for this room, though. Oh yeah - my room's windows faced the street which made it a little loud.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Bronxville, New York, USA
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed here for two nights. Excellent location and exactly what I expect from a no-frills hotel. Nice rooms, free wi-fi, fast check-in and check-out, helpful front desk. What more can you ask for? Excellent value, would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Oakland County, Michigan
Reviewed May 18, 2011

I surprised my Mom with a little trip to Grand Rapids for the Kenny Chesney concert on Mother's Day weekend. This hotel was perfectly located downtown, within walking distance from the Van Andel.

Upon arrival, there was a short line to check-in, but the the gentlemen working the front counter minimized the line in no time. Very professional, helpful and friendly. We were directed to the parking garage, that cost $11.00 to park (not in and out parking, an $11.00 token is given to you at the front desk and the charge added to your itemized bill). I thought that could have been included in the room cost, but I am aware that hotels in bigger cities often change an additional fee, so it was not all that surprising.

The room itself was very modern, incredibly clean, roomy and had an excellent view overlooking the city. We were in room #517, two queen size beds and the rest of your common amenities. The hallways and elevator wells were also very well kept and maintained. Clean, clean, clean.... love it!

We didn't waste anytime checking out the city a bit, "The B.O.B." (Big Old Building) was directly across from the hotel and offered many dining options, but a reservation is definitely recommended. We were able to get into "The Monkey Bar" that offers small plate "meals". Didn't take long for us to notice that in the parking lot, they were hosting a pre-party for the Kenny concert, so that is where our afternoon was spent. It was excellent to have the hotel so close by to drop off our purchases, change and get over to the Van Andel. There are walkways that connect to various hotels. It was nice to have this option after the concert, as the walkway seemed a lot less congested then the sidewalks below.

Check out was noon, another bonus! No check out procedure, as long as you checked in with your debit/credit card, you are good to go. They slipped a copy of the bill under the door for my records.

There is a cafe and bar off the lobby that offers a full menu. Also a limited Starbuck's beverage menu is offered.

Great time, will be back.

Room Tip: I called the hotel direct.