I've been staying at the Hawthorn Suites in Grand Rapids, 5 days a week, for the last 3 months for an extended contract job in the area. I was looking for an extended stay type hotel with a full kitchen and am very happy I found this property.
Most of the reviews are right on the money. This is an older property. There are signs of the age of the place but they are making constant updates and repairs.
Most rooms have been updated to King size beds even though they advertise Queen size only. Queen beds remain in the accessible suites.
The rooms have always been clean and neat with some signs of wear every now and again. I've been in a different room every week, even a couple stays in the 2 bedroom, 2 floor suites, and the quality/repair of the rooms has been pretty much the same across all of them. Clean, but with signs of age. Any concerns have been addressed promptly and to my satisfaction. WiFi is better in some rooms than others but has been improving and I have yet to stay in a room where it's not been accessible.
The staff at the desk have always been fantastic to deal with. Very pleasant and professional and first rate. And to top it off they include breakfast and dinner 5 days a week with a menu posted on the fridge of your room. So if you're staying during the week you don't even need to cook if you don't want to.
About the only real negatives I can think to give is the access into and out of the hotel and parking. Access into and out is from a busy 4 lane highway with no stop sign or light. And to top it off you have a good deal of traffic coming into the only driveway to gain access to the coffee shop in the strip mall next to the hotel. But you can get in and out with a little patience. As for parking.. These are "Apartment" like suites. With several rooms per building and parking all around. While I've had to walk a bit a couple times I've not yet been without parking.
All said, I've stayed in a few of the other local hotels and this is my "go to" hotel and I've yet to be disappointed by my stays there. This isn't a $500 per night Grand Resort and you shouldn't expect to compare it to such places. But if you're looking for a reasonable, clean hotel that is close to everything I'd recommend them without hesitation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Extended stay property, offers a free breakfast every morning and a free dinner Monday thru Thursday! Pet friendly! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity and Hotels.com so you can book your Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Grand Rapids, MI reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gatehouse Suites Grand Rapids East Hotel Grand Rapids
- Residence Inn Grand Rapids
- Grand Rapids Residence Inn