“Overall it's a decent hotel, I would stay again on my next...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Grand Rapids, MI

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Grand Rapids, MI
Ranked #33 of 50 Hotels in Grand Rapids

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Arabic first
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I have stayed at this complex many times, starting about 15 years ago when it was the Residence Inn, then the Gateway Suites, and now Hawthorne. The facility is undergoing badly needed repairs as it has been allowed to deteriorate, both internally and externally. The free breakfast is still quite good and its location is good for my needs when I travel there each June. I was VERY disappointed in the weak WIFI signal. I had to leave my room and go to the front office to use my iPad. That was not the case last year or previous year since WIFI was first made available. Hopefully they will have corrected these deficiencies before I visit Michigan again next year.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 stars
Brooke F, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Grand Rapids, MI, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Hi there.
Thank you so very much for the feedback. I am pleased to report that we just completed an internet upgrade last night so we anticipate the weak signals to increase greatly.
We appreciate your loyalty and certainly hope to see you on your next trip to Michigan.
Thanks again,

Brooke - General Manager
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I haven't even stayed here yet and I already recommend it. My initial reservations were made thru Expedia (mistake). I called the hotel directly to clear up some confusion on the expedia reservation and also to ask if any special rates were available. The front desk manager Suzi Wall, not only helped me cancel the expedia reservations and rebook directly with the hotel, she also granted me an "expired" special rate at a significant savings. She was most responsive and helpful, beyond my normal experience with hotels. I travel frequently on business, but have zero status with this chain. I often do not receive this much help from the chains where I have the high-level status. Thank you Suzi!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Brooke F, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Grand Rapids, MI, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Wow, this is a first review we have received from a guest who has not even stayed at our property yet - thank you!
I am so glad that Suzi was able to assist you. While we certainly appreciate the expedia reservations, they can sometimes be confusing so I am glad she was able to make sure you are getting the room type and price that is going to work for you.
With being an older property, we absolutely strive on exceptional customer service and Suzi is a great example of that. I hope the rest of your experience is just as good and please contact Suzi (or me) if you should need anything prior to your arrival date.

Thanks again for the nice comments. We appreciate it!!

Best,
Brooke - GM
Grand Blanc, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I arrived shortly around 5:15 for my 3 o'clock check in. There was a line about 5 deep to check in. There were 2 people at the desk but only one was working, a tall guy in Docker's and no name tag. As I am waiting, I here him tell the lady in front of me that her 2 bedroom (same as I have) isn't available, she is not happy, but leaves to come back later. I try to check in, and am told in a snotty tone "I am going to tell you the same thing as I did her, the 2 bedrooms are not clean yet, we had a few people check out today." This is 2 hours after check in and they can't get the rooms clean, hate to break it to them, but checking out is a normal part of their business they should be able to handle. So I asked him to please check. He calls housekeeping on the walkie-talkie, and she tells him that they only have one left to clean, 332. So he looks at me and says "Just come back in an hour." I point out the fact that if they only have one left to clean, that he was either lying to me or the lady in front of me, as he told two consecutive people that theirs was not clean. I had been on the road and had to cranky children. They did not offer any retribution, even though it was their issue, and did not appreciate the lack of concern from their front staff personnel, it may be isolated to this person, but I will not stay here on my return trips. I called the staybridge and got a rate only $10 more than Hawthorn for a very nice 2 bedroom and a polite staff and they will get my business on all future visits.

Room Tip: Plan on waiting until dusk for them to have a room ready.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
      Location
    • 1 of 5 stars
Brooke F, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Grand Rapids, MI, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Hi there.
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I can tell you that your experience is not typical of our guests here at the Hawthorn Suites Grand Rapids. When it rains it pours, and we had several issues that morning that led us to be late in having the 2 bedroom suites fully prepared for our guests by the check in time. We were able to offer smaller rooms to guests while the housekeepers were finishing the larger rooms, however we understand that this option did not work for everyone at that time.
We do hope you would give us another chance, however, we fully support the Staybridge as well, as it is one of our sister properties.
Thanks again for your feedback, and I sincerely apologize that your brief experience was less than satisfactory. If you would like to talk further, please contact me directly.

Kind Regards,