“You get what you pay for”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Grand Rapids, MI
Ranked #32 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Rochester, New York
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

The suite, a large bedroom, kitchen/den and loft bedroom was perfect space for you needs, and the price was less than what I expected to pay for a medium grade single hotel room. The down side was the condition. The place is tired and dirty. The bedding, bath and kitchen appeared to be clean, but the rest of the place had not seen a cleaner in years. The blades on the ceiling fan attested to that. My wife had stayed in another unit 6 weeks ago and felt the prior unit had been in a much better state. I know they are renovating, so it may depend on which unit you get.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Brooke F, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Grand Rapids, MI, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Gregg B,
Thank you for taking the time to report your experience that you had at the Hawthorn Suites Grand Rapids. I am glad you liked the space and the price was a good value.
I appreciate the feedback on the room cleanliness, especially the ceiling fan issue. I am making sure that is added to our intense deep clean list and I thank you for pointing that out to us.
I am positive you will continue to see improvement and higher quality each time you visit with us, as I hope you return!
Thanks again - your comments are taken very seriously and are much appreciated to eveyone here at the Hawthorn.

Brooke - GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Arabic first
Reviewed April 22, 2013

For the price of the room I was expecting something small. To my surprise it had a big full kitchen equipped with everything we needed and more! The fireplace made our anniversary all the more romantic, and everything was clean and roomy! It was in a prime location within walking distance or short driving distance from everywhere we planned on going. The front desk staff was great and had awesome humor, because my boyfriend and I joked a lot and they were all good troopers. Also the breakfast was alot better than most places we've been, it was kept hot and fresh. I'm definitely coming back whenever we need to be in the area!

• Stayed March 2013
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hi there!
Thank you so much for your kind words! In a state of renovations and change, there is nothing that makes us happier and more motivated than a review like yours.
We hope to see you soon!!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed April 21, 2013

First, I called about a week before for some information, the guy that answered seemed like he didn't really know how to answer simple things, wifi in room?, hair dryer?(we were coming from out of the country). Then when checking in the girl looked a bit unprofessional, I believe she was wearing a sweatshirt, when I asked if someone would be around at 3 am the day I would check out she said yes, but he might not be awake. The parking is horrible. Don't expect a spot anywhere near your room and it is a bit tricky getting in and out, very tight. We did like having our own entrance, but the door was not very secure, it did not line up right with the frame and not only felt unsafe, but let a lot of cold air in. The room did smell of smoke. The lay out was a bit weird, but okay. It was a bit dirty, stains on the bed skirt, large enough to notice right away, the chairs were dirty as well as the drapes. Something that was a problem for us, the bathroom sink area lines up with the bed, so if someone is getting ready, with the right on, it shines right in the eyes of someone in bed. The bathroom door, like the main door, was not lined up right and did not really close right. The ceiling in the bathroom above the shower was gross as well was the shower walls, that needs fixing.The heat was hard to regulate, it was either too hot or too cold. There we no chairs to sit and eat, there were "desk" chairs, but they were weird and you could not use them at the counter to eat, and they were dirty. Then, to make things worse we found a pipe next to the tv/drapes. NICE. Housekeeping needs to do much better. We did like the kitchen, location and price, and would recommend this place only if someone was trying to save money, which we were.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi there. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences, both positive and negitave.
I appreciate the feedback on the maintenance items, as the new owners and our staff are working hard to upgrade and improve these items since the recent changeover.
We look forward to newer rooms in the very near future, such as new mattresses (some are already new!) and new bedding.
I'm very sorry that you experienced a cleanliness issue in your particular room and please know this will be addressed. Cleanliness is one of our top priorities in our extended stay rooms.
I am glad to hear that you liked the location and price. We are trying to maintain a "good value" while we are upgrading and changing the property.
Again, I thank you sincerely for the comments. This is a great way for us to know how to improve. If there is anything you wish to discuss further, please feel free to contact me directly via the hotel main number.
Best Wishes,
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Me and my better half have bean here for about 3 months now. We have nothing but good things to say about this place. Yea its a little pricy but you get what you pay for. A full functional kitchen, a comfortable bed, a view of the landscape witch for winter was very pretty. When we had any issues the front desk was quick to take care of the problems. You can tell who is here to help the customers and whose not. Suesy, Codey, Laura, Joe, and above all Brooke the GM are very friendly and willing to solve any problem. I enjoy coming down just to say good morning. It almost is like a second family to me. I had the pleasure of meeting Matt the owner as well and he is a very down to earth funny man. This is a good place to be. Weather it is for a long stay or a short one. Its like a home and they treat you like one of there own. Keep up the good work.

Room Tip: Back buildings, 5-7. very little noise, nice view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooke F, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Grand Rapids, MI, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how your stay is going. We very much appreciate the kind comments and love when guests have a great experience at the Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham.
Thank you for the staff acknowledgments - they love being in the customer service industry and will be so excited to see their names on here for a job well done.
Again, thanks. We strive on comments to see how we can improve for our guests, but to also be able to smile when the feedback is good!

Kindest Regards,

East Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
Reviewed April 10, 2013

04/11/13 @ 12:30am My wife and I came to this hotel for a getaway we check in a little late do to flight layover, the young man that was there did an awesome job, He even took our bags to our room for us and he was pretty sure he can do it all and he did. The young man name was Joseph he was very nice about checking my wife and I into our room. Thanks again Joseph you have really made our night with you nice smile we have found a new home away from home thanks to you

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooke F, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Grand Rapids, MI, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!
I will certainly inform Joseph that we are proud of his hard work and his lasting impression he made for you both.
And lastly, there is nothing that makes us happier then when someone says the Hawthorn is their home away from home ;)
Thanks so much!! We hope to see you again soon.

Best,

Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel off and on for many years, first when it was a Residence Inn. The price was right, the location great, but we wouldn't recommend it for a couple reasons: the quality has slipped, both in terms of the amenities and the physical structure. We like the two-bedroom layout and the breakfast was fine. But some of the little things were not there--only had 4 hangers for a two-bedrm. unit, and the front desk said there were no more to be had. No blankets (just a thin cover), and the pillows were a mixed bag--most were hard and stiff. When we arrived (freezing temps outside), the heat had been set too high, so the place was hot--especially the upstairs part.so it was very uncomfortable. We think it was set to cover up/dry out some cleaning smells--later the room smelled of cigarette smoke. Noisy guests nearby late in the night meant we didn't have the comfortable sleep we expected.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ruth4005
Hi there, I hope this finds you well. I sincerely thank you for your feedback and please know we use this information on a serious level and try to improve with each and every comment.
I am sorry that the room experienced noise in the night and I surely hope the front desk representative was able to assist you with that complaint.
Please contact me directly if you would wish to discuss this stay further. Again, thank you for the feedback and I hope we can exceed your expectations next time!
Fort Wayne
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I stay at the Hawthorne Suites every weekend for school. The stay is comfortable for the value and the staff is friendly and professional.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham

1 Thank Chad T
Brooke F, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Grand Rapids, MI, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are honored to be the hotel of choice for you and your classmates and are glad that you think it is a good value. If there is anything we can do to make your stays more comfortable, please let us know.
Thanks again!