Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Grand Rapids, MI
San Francisco
“bedbugs”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Bedbugs!

The Manager said, "you paid through expedia, so we can't give you a refund. If you give me your info, I can give you a discount next time you stay here." Yeah right.

There are plenty of other hotels nearby. STAY ELSEWHERE.

Room Tip: choose another hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank bdwelle
Heather A, Director of Sales at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Grand Rapids, MI, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
I apologize for this issue that you had. Gatehouse Suites was recently bought out by Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham and we have done many renovations thus far. I had not heard of this incident until reading this review, so again I am so sorry you had this happen. Please know that we have had no issues of this kind and I hope that you come back to visit us now that we have taken over.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Arabic first
Kansas
Reviewed June 26, 2012

My husband and I had to throw together a last minute trip for a funeral. The staff at Gatehouse made our booking and our stay absolutely effortless. They went out of their way to accomodate us on more than one occasion during our trip and by the time we left we truly felt like we "knew a guy" that worked there because they treated us like friends. Besides the amazing customer service each of the rooms is fabulous as well! They are more like a Residence Inn so it's like having your own little apartment to yourself and the comfortable bed, extra room and amenities for the small price in my opinion was more than worth it. As if that weren't enough we topped it all off with Free breakfast that was over the top with scrambled eggs, waffles, pancakes, sausage, cereal, english muffins, you name it. Delicious! And lastly, FREE DINNER! Certain nightes of the week they offer a free dinner to guests staying at the hotel and for us 2 free meals out of our trip was WELL worth the money! I can't say enough about this hotel and the staff that runs it. They made our trip as enjoyable as it possibly could be given the circumstances and I am grateful to them.

Room Tip: Request a room near the main lobby as some of the buildings can be quite a trek
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Grand Rapids, MI, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Again, our sympathies go out to your family for your loss. I am so glad to hear that you felt right at home and taken care of during this difficult time especially while having to travel so far. We hope if ever in the area again that we will be able to help you with your accommodations. Thank you so much for choosing us for your stay and for taking the time to review your experience!
Portage, MI
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I was unfamiliar with this hotel chain, and it turned out the property was formerly a Residence Inn. The front desk guy was welcoming and charming, offering us up or downstairs, and we chose down. The room, which was very clean, large, and bright, was clearly designed for long term stays, with a full kitchen (even stocked with salt and pepper, how thoughtful!), two work areas, a fireplace, large bath, and king bed. We kind of wanted an excuse to stay longer! They also have a sparkling outdoor pool and breakfast in the morning, both of which we had to miss. For the price, we couldn't have been happier. This place has elements of the Marriott experience (from their Residence Inn past) at a much more affordable price. The only downside was turning left across a major busy road. Be patient and your turn will come

Room Tip: Our downstairs room was quiet, didn't hear neighbors, so no need to schlep your stuff upstairs i...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pam T
GatehouseSuitesGR, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Grand Rapids, MI, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay! We appreciate the feedback that you shared regarding your enjoyable experience here at the Gatehouse Suites. We take great pride in providing clean and comfortable accommodations that make you feel right at home! The Meijer Gardens is such a beautiful place and I'm sure you enjoyed day! We hope you will be able to visit again to enjoy our breakfast buffet and outdoor pool. I will pass along your generous comments to Grant our Assistant General Manager who was working the front desk. We look forward to serving you again in the near future!
Helen Williams
Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Reviewed May 28, 2012

My wife and I stayed here one night while attending a college graduation. For the price we paid, we were surprised at the spaciousness and amenities of the suite. Full-size refrigerator, full-size stove, dishwasher, dining table that also functions as a desk, fireplace, couch. Small swimming pool wasn’t open yet for the season. Nothing outdoors except parking lot. The included breakfast was good but not huge number of choices, yet I was happy for a hot “kettle” of cooked oatmeal.

There is also a Starbucks next door and a variety of good restaurants right across the street, both for sandwich-salad lunch or more substantial dinner.

The room was very clean; it appeared the carpet was new. Yet I give it four stars instead of five because I think five stars should be reserved for more “over the top” accommodations. The bed was comfortable, but we were disappointed that it was a queen instead of a king. Also the bathroom was really dated and needs some sprucing up. Still I would choose this place if we were ever to find ourselves in Grand Rapids again.

Room Tip: Seems the only choices are first floor or second floor rooms, all direct access from outdoors. They...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
GatehouseSuitesGR, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Grand Rapids, MI, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide Trip Advisor with feedback from your recent stay at the Gatehouse Suites Grand Rapids. On behalf of the entire staff I would like to say thank you! We take great pride in providing clean and comfortable accommodations. We hope you can make a trip back this summer and enjoy our beautiful outdoor pool open through Labor Day!
Milwaukee
Reviewed May 20, 2012

This is a former Residence Inn from what I can tell. The outside of the property needs A LOT of work. The grounds/buildings need paint, fresh stairs and trim. Inside, however, was very clean. BUT there was a vent left without a screen and birds made a nest INSIDE the vent and right over the head of my bed. I thought they were going to come through the ceiling! If I were staying more than one night, I would have insisted on another room. Bed was comfy, breakfast was good. It's a difficult location to easily access the Beltway.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
GatehouseSuitesGR, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Grand Rapids, MI, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
We are very sorry to hear about the experience you had during your stay. My staff and I want to ensure every guest stay is as enjoyable as possible and I am sorry this was not your experience. We appreciate your feedback as it allows us to constantly improve on our levels of service and accommodations. If we can be of further assistance to you please don’t hesitate to contact the hotel. We would be happy to talk further with you about the experience you had.
East Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed April 23, 2012

My wife and I, along with another couple, stayed at the Gatehouse Suites in Grand Rapids recently while attending a concert nearby. The suite was very spacious. It had a large bedroom with attached bath on the first floor and another bedroom with bath in the loft area. The suite also had a full kitchen and nice living room area with fireplace. The price was very good, especially split between two couples (a little over $100 - with the State employee discount). On the downside, the finishes were average, the televisions were very old and the beds were not that comfortable. Perfect for our purposes though. Would definitely recommend as a nice place to stay on the cheap for a group. The suite also includes a hot breakfast, although we did not partake.

Room Tip: There are no elevators, so if you don't feel like lugging your stuff up two flights of stairs (t...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank rmeade88
GatehouseSuitesGR, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Grand Rapids, MI, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide Trip Advisor with feedback from your recent stay in Grand Rapids. On behalf of the entire staff I would like to say thank you! We take great pride in providing clean and comfortable accommodations.We hope you enjoyed the extra space in your two bed room suite and that you had a great time at the concert! Next time you're in the area we hope that you will stay with us again and enjoy our wonderful breakfast buffet!
Wisconsin
Reviewed April 14, 2012

My family stayed at this place for a funeral. At first glance the place looked great, but then looking around it was obviously run down and dirty. Cobwebs everywhere. The furniture was threadbare and had wholes in it. The furnace was so loud we couldn't sleep and had to turn the TV up very loud to hear it. The maintenance person told us that the furnace was very old and in need on replacement - that they were putting "band aids" on a bad problem.

Then the worst happened. The day of the family funeral at 8:30 am (after the hot breakfast was done) our power went out without any notice. The front desk said it would be out for an hour and they didn't know about the date it would happen. My husband checked with the electrician and they said it would be out possibly all day. He showed my husband the work order that was dated that day. When my husband approached the front desk with this information, and asked why they wouldn't let us know before we booked that the power would be out, they just stared at him. We had my father's showing at 3, the power did not come on till 2:15. The condo did give us a room at a nearby hotel to take a shower and a gift basket with a few articles, and $50.00 off one night. We felt we should have had at least 1 full night refunded, as this was incredibly stressful for us, but the manager stated they paid for the hotel for the shower so they couldn't give us anymore money. He was incredibly rude and wouldn't even look at us or greet us when we came in later for breakfast.

They really need to update this place!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
GatehouseSuitesGR, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Grand Rapids, MI, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
First let express my condolences for your loss as I understand how emotional and difficult this time can be.
I would like to personally apologize for the inconvenience of the power outage and explain that although we knew there would be a power outage at some point during the week the date was not set in stone due to bad weather previous to your stay. Unfortunately we had to go along with the power company's schedule to complete the replacement and did not anticipate the outage to occur for that length of time. Again, I am very sorry for the inconvenience this caused you and hope the accommodations at the Ramada were satisfactory for you.
We appreciate your feedback as it allows us to constantly improve on our levels of service and accommodations. If we can be of further assistance to you please don’t hesitate to contact the hotel. I would be happy to talk further with you about the experience you had.