“big disappointment”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Really disappointing evening. The service was below average, the tables were jammed together and the salad bar was filthy. The manager gave the table next to us a really hard time about using their coupon. He was so rude it soured the evening for us and we weren"t even involved! We will steer clear in the future.

2  Thank Mary Ann B

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Went there yesterday with my wife and kids. Hostess acted grumpy when we wanted to chose our own table by the window, even though the place was almost empty. Took forever to have a waiter come to the table. When we looked at the menu we noticed that prices were different from the menu on their website. We placed our order for their signature dish, Châteaubriand, and some sides for the kids. The waiter brought us bread and butter, beverages, etc. We went for the salad bar, which is less exciting than Big Boy, and then patiently waited for our main dish to arrive. There was no visit by the waiter for almost 40 minutes until he brought our Châteaubriand. We had ordered rare, but this was more on the medium side. Also, the filet was drenched in a dark, heavy sauce that made it almost impossible to taste the meat or dip it into the Sauce Béarnaise. There was not 1 visit by the waiter after he served us our main course. No checking how we liked it, no refilling of beverages. When were done we ended up placing the meat platter onto the window sill to get it off the table. Still no waiter. We sat for a few minutes, then my wife and kids went to the car while I tried to hunt down the waiter for the check. I had given the waiter a $25 Restaurants.com gift certificate when we ordered, however the bill did not reflect the certificate. Had to wait for him to go back to correct it. When he came back, 18% tip had been added to our check for this wonderful, outstanding service. On my way out I asked to speak to a manager and was told one would be right with me. I waited by the hostess desk at least 5 minutes but nobody bothered to show up. Left with a bad taste in my mouth, both from the heavy sauce and the terrible overpriced service. My wife does not want to return....

1  Thank nzimpfer
Reviewed September 10, 2012

GLSC has been there for decades and they do what they do really well. Salad bar, steak or seafood, great drinks and consistent service--just a really comfortable place to meet friends for a great time. Sometimes you just need a really well-done comfort evening.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

The best steak houses in the '70s (that I've been to, in SE Michigan), were Mountain Jacks and Steak & Ale. As far as I know, those are all gone now. This place is similar, and brings back fond memories.

The interior is dark, stained wood, with brick accent walls and many fireplaces.

The food is steakhouse-meets-seafood. There are a few "surf and turf" options. The salad bar features fresh, above average quality items, but is on the smaller size, compared to Buffet style places.

I asked Ted, our waiter for the evening, what was the popular dish here. He said that the Prime Rib and Walleye dinners were the best sellers. I ordered the walleye. It was good. My wife ordered the Mahi-mahi. She enjoyed hers.

Expect to pay $20 to $30 for most dinners. There is a discount of $20 off if you have an Entertainment book card. Our total bill, after the discount (with soft drinks), was $32. (they add a 18% gratuity before discount).

I'd recommend this place for reminiscing the good old days with good food.

1  Thank flintjarvis
Reviewed April 20, 2012

We've been meaning to try this restaurant for a long time and finally did on a Thursday evening. The restaurant was about 2/3 full when we arrived but with several open tables and the timing was such that the number of dinners would, and did, diminish soon. The hostess, who'd been absent for quite awhile, still tried to seat us at a tiny table for two in the middle of aisle traffic. There was an open larger table nearby so I directed her to that one but it's not a good sign, nor good service, that I had to. We then waited a while for service although it was fine once they got around to it.
That said, and I admit a poor service attitude is a pet peeve, the food was good and generally well prepared. The prime rib a bit on the grisly, chewy side but the flavor was good. The Island Shrimp were very good and my wife found the fish to be excellent. We'll probably go back for the seafood but probably not often.

1  Thank OzZeeland