“Old Reliable”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed September 10, 2012

GLSC has been there for decades and they do what they do really well. Salad bar, steak or seafood, great drinks and consistent service--just a really comfortable place to meet friends for a great time. Sometimes you just need a really well-done comfort evening.

There are newer reviews for Great Lakes Shipping Co.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

The best steak houses in the '70s (that I've been to, in SE Michigan), were Mountain Jacks and Steak & Ale. As far as I know, those are all gone now. This place is similar, and brings back fond memories.

The interior is dark, stained wood, with brick accent walls and many fireplaces.

The food is steakhouse-meets-seafood. There are a few "surf and turf" options. The salad bar features fresh, above average quality items, but is on the smaller size, compared to Buffet style places.

I asked Ted, our waiter for the evening, what was the popular dish here. He said that the Prime Rib and Walleye dinners were the best sellers. I ordered the walleye. It was good. My wife ordered the Mahi-mahi. She enjoyed hers.

Expect to pay $20 to $30 for most dinners. There is a discount of $20 off if you have an Entertainment book card. Our total bill, after the discount (with soft drinks), was $32. (they add a 18% gratuity before discount).

I'd recommend this place for reminiscing the good old days with good food.

1  Thank flintjarvis
Reviewed April 20, 2012

We've been meaning to try this restaurant for a long time and finally did on a Thursday evening. The restaurant was about 2/3 full when we arrived but with several open tables and the timing was such that the number of dinners would, and did, diminish soon. The hostess, who'd been absent for quite awhile, still tried to seat us at a tiny table for two in the middle of aisle traffic. There was an open larger table nearby so I directed her to that one but it's not a good sign, nor good service, that I had to. We then waited a while for service although it was fine once they got around to it.
That said, and I admit a poor service attitude is a pet peeve, the food was good and generally well prepared. The prime rib a bit on the grisly, chewy side but the flavor was good. The Island Shrimp were very good and my wife found the fish to be excellent. We'll probably go back for the seafood but probably not often.

1  Thank OzZeeland
Reviewed March 28, 2012

We have eaten there often and always left feeling we had a great meal and good service at a very reasonable price. You can not go wrong by eating here.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

This place hasn't changed in 30 years....and that's a good thing! The food is very good, the salad bar is still a treat, and the atmosphere is warm and friendly. We had not been there for a long time until a recent visit, but we will be back soon!