“Older, and just OK”

Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport)
Ranked #29 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed June 10, 2014

The hotel is older, but has been updated (probably several years ago). None of the staff makes eye contact or acknowledges your presence when you approach. The concierge clerk and the shuttle driver don't seem too happy to be there either. Upon check-in, I requested a microwave and mini frig. I had to ask 3 times and it took 2 hours to be delivered. First only a microwave was delivered, and then the frig with a 2nd microwave. The front desk clerk did try to help me obtain the appliances and then waived the fee due to my inconvenience. (I had already bought groceries and had no where to put them. I was about to get ice to put in the bags.) Housekeeping did not replenish my supplies the 2nd day, and did not leave a bath mat. The toilet runs, and the closet door and dresser drawers were difficult to open. There are long hallways, but elevators are at each end and there is easy access to parking. The rooms seem quiet. The fitness center is decent and open 24 hours. The concierge is open for a continental breakfast 6:30-10 AM and snacks with beer and wine 6-10 PM. The hotel is in a great location - close to I-96, airport, shopping and restaurants. Everything you could need is on 28th St.

Room Tip: The pool and fitness center is off the lobby away from guest rooms. Rooms ending in 01 and 71 are c...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
CrownePlazaGR, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2014

Dear DeeDee134,
Thank you for your candid feedback. We are happy that you enjoyed our convenient location, parking, fitness center, and concierge lounge.

On behalf of the staff, I apologize for the issues you experienced with our guest services and housekeeping. I have forwarded your concerns to our Guest Services Managers, Nicki Kindt, and Director of Housekeeping, Elsa Colby.

Your feedback allows us to target areas for improvement. We appreciate your business and hope to welcome you back in the near future to show you what we have done since your stay.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

This has been the second time I've stayed at this hotel during visits to family who live in the area. This is a very large hotel, obviously used for seminars and business meetings. There is a nice pool area, exercise/fitness center, lobby bar/restaurant and I understand another restaurant, although I did not see it.
My only negative comment is the elevator close to our room was out of service and we were on the 4th floor. Our options were to walk quite a way to another elevator or take the stairs (which we did)
We also heard some very loud music (next door/nearby) and didn't know if the walls just weren't very well insulated or if the music was very loud. This just lasted for a short period, so it wasn't a major problem.
We will return to this hotel when in the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
CrownePlazaGR, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Dear Harrisgumby,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our many amenities. On behalf of the staff, I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with our elevator during your time with us. Rest assured, we have now fixed the issue.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. We hope to welcome you back soon for a future stay.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Arrived late (Midnight) 5/30. Desk staff plesant & helpful.
Room 308 - needs some updates: cracked bathrom sink, jet engine for a blower motor in the heating/cooling unit.
Hotel needs better signage inside to direct you through the maze of hallways to find things like the pool and lobby.
Pool was nice (indoor & outdoor) but a little too cold.
Tiki Hut Bar outside was nice ubt no cash register so the cashier had to figure out each bill manually.
Needs some more tables on the pool deck area and maybe a canopy to provide some shade on hot days but space was adequate to accomodate the large number of parents/kids this past weekend.
Desk staff was great in providing local pizza chain phone numbers and they delivered right to the lobby/room/ or pool depending on what you requested.
Hallways were quiet.
Shower water temp was a little low for HI setting.
Pillows needed to include some 'regular' sized ones instead of the overstuffed or odd sized ones.
Also need a comforter on the bed as even in the warm temps the room temp was set low.
Check-out went quick and the desk staff was very pleasant.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
CrownePlazaGR, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Dear JBRZEZ,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We are happy to hear that you had a pleasant experience with our front desk staff. We will certainly forward your compliments on to them. On behalf of the hotel staff, I apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced with your room, courtyard, tiki hut, and pool area. Your comments have been forwarded to the proper management to consider future improvements. We appreciate your business and hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

Nice place. Friendly employees. The pool area crowded and lots of people running in the halls, banging on doors and visiting around. There just didn't seem to be anyone in charge with so many rude people loudly ruling the lobby. Sadly won't try to stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Dear Becky1963K,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. We apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced with our pool and lobby area. Your comments have been forwarded to the proper management. Your review will be used to help us consider what improvements we need to make. We hope to welcome you back in the near future to show you what we have done since your stay.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

While there are several hotels in this same area to stay, I will choose this hotel every time. It is very easy to locate, and close to several restaurants and stores. The hotel is beautiful with a price you can't beat! We were able to check in early and the front desk clerk allowed us to choose which floor we would like to stay on. Our room was a standard King, and it was clean and spacious. The bathroom was nice, but a little small. They have an indoor/outdoor pool with a large area to lounge by the pool. Overall, it was a great place to stay. Would highly recommend it and will stay there again!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
CrownePlazaGR, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Dear Kelly626,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. We will certainly forward your compliments to the proper management. We hope to welcome you back again in the near future!

Reviewed May 7, 2014

First of all, we got into our room and it smelled weird... We are here with a large group of co-workers and ALL of our stuff was re-packed the next day when room service came to clean and weren't notified that we were staying more than 2 nights... They took our credit/debit cards and said that a $20 fee was going to be charged just in case of "stolen" items, but would later be returned on to the cards after checkout, but everyone who handed them their cards had the $20 taken out and an additional $61.75 taken out also... When the staff was confronted, they told us to get a hold of our banks and that they would have to figure it out... It's not the banks job to "figure it out"... Only one of the front desk staff was respectful and pleasant, all of the rest of them were so horrible and disrespectful it was awful! ... We asked for a chair in our room (we were apparently the only room that didn't have one) and we were sneered at... the second day we finally demanded it after a bunch of other stuff went wrong and they finally brought it... We were in a couple of the banquet rooms for our business meetings and the wait staff that was serving and cleaning the food were Awesome! They were respectful and delightful to be around... Stuff was not in the rooms when we first checked in (such as remotes, etc...) AND a couple of our co-workers were placed in a room that was already occupied... They told us 2-3 different prices for wanting a fridge and microwave in our rooms... They told us $10 each per night but told some co-workers that they were $15 per night... Just an all around horrible experience! (and they are way over-priced for ordering food for breakfast or dinners... There's no continental breakfast by the way.)

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank LocaLopez83
CrownePlazaGR, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Dear LocaLopez83,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback about your stay. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our banquet and catering staff. Please accept my apologies on behalf of the Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay. We hope to use your review as a training moment for our upcoming staff meeting to consider improvements where needed. Thank you again for your candid feedback and I hope that you can give us a chance to show you what we have done during a future stay.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

This is an example of you get what you pay for. I was surprised that this hotel was cheaper than the Courtyard Marriott which is where I was originally booked. Check in was a long process and the front desk staff was not polished. Certainly didn't feel valued or given any special attention. I watched as the person checking me answered a call from an internal staff member where he needed an answer from his peers who were busy checking in other guests. So he put the phone down (not on hold) waiting for someone to help. One staff member walked over by the phone knowing they were waiting and ignored it. I finally said something to my person checking me in and he was like oh no there are still waiting? Very unprofessional.

I went to my room and quickly realized it was certainly no frills. In fact it felt kind of dirty. I was also frustrated as there was only one plug by the desk. I needed one by the bed and ideally three at the desk. Hotels never have enough or convenient plugs.

I had dinner and room service at the hotel. Dinner service was excellent. Food was surprisingly good. Only feedback would have been to have it hotter. Steak was coolish and potato was cold. Bread and butter would have been nice but overall well done.

I used room service for breakfast. Prices were very reasonable for a hotel. I ordered the Eggs Benedict and a pot of coffee. The eggs were perfect. However what was surprising was that they were served absolutely plain. It did not make for the presentation it could have with the perfect eggs because it was SO white. No potatoes, no tomatoes...not even a speckle of parsley to have some green! I couldn't believe even a cook did not see that as beyond barren.

I likely would avoid this hotel next time. Prices are great but I would rather get a room that feels clean, a bathroom that is bigger and hopefully a room that was more business friendly.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear dianegooslin,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the room layout prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J