“Don't stay here.”

Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport)
Ranked #29 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I've stayed at many hotels from a variety of different price levels. My husband and I went on a quick little get-away from wherevwe live in Chicago to Frankenmuth, MI. We decided to break the drive up and make the trip last longer by using priceline.com to negotiate a 4-4.5 star room at about the half way point. I choose grand rapids because it looked like there was a lot of nice restaurants and a few things to do. Upon arrival 2 ladies were stumbling drunk into the lobby, yelling loudly and making a scene.

This hotel is located in the middle of nowhere. Grand Rapids "downtown" area is 15 minutes away. I was absolutely shocked to see small time middle America. My husband asked at the desk where we could at least get dinner and he recommended ihop, mcdonald, $ steak n shake. Hubby got back in the car and we used our phones to figure out where everything was... Like I said theres a nice downtown area about 15 min away with bars, dueling pianos, a massive tire swing, frank loyd wrights prarie style refurbished house and many many restaurants. We have no clue what the hotel staff was talking about. The room was okay. Looks newly renovated. No water, fridg, minibar, microwave etc. etc. There also isnt a proper closet to hang your clothes in. It was very small and as I use a wheelchair I was in the handicapped room. Another thing was that therevwas no toilet seat cover. YUCK!!

Overall, I just wanted to go home the entire time. If we hadnt had prepaid and not been able to get another hotel that night I would have left. I was on the verge of it all night.

I plan on talking to priceline about the low quality of this hotel.

Room Tip: I thinkmthe handicapped rooms are newer. Our looked to have been a little bit updated. Try another h...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda W
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Dear Amanda M,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.
Please accept my apologies for the poor experience during your most recent stay with us. I have forwarded your comments and concerns along to management. Yes, there are more things to do downtown Grand Rapids, ie. entertainment and restaurants. However, there are a number of restaurants and bars near the hotel as well. We do have fridges and microwaves available upon request, for a small fee. Once again I do apologize and if you have any concerns that you feel you need to address directly, our guest service manager's name is Chris Fuller.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

Stayed 2 nights. Suitably located on the exit off of I-96 in Grand Rapids. Plenty of restaurants and Grills on either side of the hotel. Staff at Reception desk was welcoming and courteous.

Comfortable beds(a bit firm - to my liking). carpetted floors and a good sized window. Plenty of space in the room to move about, I prefer not stumbling on furniture while moving in the room.
Clean basic washroom. Standard equipment in the room. A second power outlet on the desk would be more convenient. Housekeeping can improve a bit on the attention to detail. Overall - a bit old but fairly acceptable. Very well priced.

Room numbers beyond the first 20 on each floor are a long walk, long hallways. So is the elevator from the Reception Desk. Personally, did feel a heads up that it is a long walk would have made the journey to my room less miserable. Good thing is that there is an additional elevator for rooms 20 + on each floor and it conveniently opens up to a secondary exit.

Room Tip: If parked in front of reception, try for rooms 1-25 on any floor.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2014

Dear Achint S,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I'm pleased to see that your most recent stay with us was a nice one. I have forwarded your concerns along to the proper management. On your next visit with us, please feel free to request a room that is closer to the front desk, and if available, we are always more than willing to accommodate. We appreciate your business, and hope to be able to serve you in the future.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

I booked this hotel based on its star rating. It was not 3-1/2 stars. Maybe 2 stars. It was in need of a remodel job for sure. It was clean and quiet though. The carpeting was so old that it looked dirty from stains. The staff was fine, but the parking lot was a wreck. It had snowed recently and apparently no one that works there knows how to run a shovel. Every time I left I had to wade through the snow and when I came back it was always the same.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Tracy S,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Please accept my apologies for the poor experience you endured upon your most recent visit. with us. While this building is a bit older, we are constantly working at maintaining and updating it. Please do not hesitate to let our staff know of any concerns or issues you may have, so that we can work at correcting the problem immediately.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed at the Crown Plaza Grand Rapids Airport on New Year's eve. The staff was courteous and prompt. We asked for a quiet room, away from the noise. The original room we were put in was next to what appeared to be party central. When I brought this to their attention they promptly moved us to a room that was incredibly quiet for New Year's eve. The rooms were clean but quite dated. There were stains on the carpet in front of the sink. The sheets and blankets were clean but old and should have been retired months before our arrival.

Overall, the experience was acceptable, highlight was the staff.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear David D,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I'm pleased to hear that your most recent stay with us was acceptable, but would like to know what could have made it better. I do apologize for the dated look. We are constantly working at updating and maintaining this facility, as it is an older one. I have forwarded your concerns along to the proper management. On your next visit with us, if you'd prefer a quieter area, or have any other requests, we are always more than willing to accommodate you. I'm happy to hear that the highlight of your stay was our staff. We are always willing to go above and beyond for our guests. Once again thank you for the review. We appreciate your business & hope to be able to serve you in the future.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Great location, nice, clean rooms. Front desk is very helpful and pleasant. Pool is nice in tat it is a combination inside and outside pool. Meijers across the street is great for any items you may have forgotten to get. We stay here at least twice a year when we go shopping in Grand Rapids.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Dear Barb R,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I'm pleased to see that your most recent stay with us was a great one. I'm glad you were able to take advantage of some of our amenities. Should you choose to stay with us during the summer, we do have both the indoor and outdoor portion of the pool open and available to guests. We appreciate your business and hope to serve you in the future.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

I stayed here for two nights. The hotel is old and is not much different than the other Crowne Plaza's I have stayed at. I found a very good deal on Hotwire and is really the reason why I stayed here. My colleagues stayed at a different hotel, paid almost double the price, but also had much better breakfast buffet, coffee, warm cookies. I would stay here if I am traveling on budget. Otherwise I would consider something else for better services, hotel quality, etc.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Dear expedition17,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Unfortunately, this facility is a bit older than most, but we are constantly working towards maintaining and updating it. Please accept my apologies for the less than average service you received, and your low perception of hotel quality and cleanliness. If you ever have any problems, or concerns, please don't hesitate to let our staff know so that the situation may be corrected immediately. Once again thank you for your review. We hope to be able to serve you in the future.

Reviewed December 11, 2013

We stayed here when needing to fly out from the GR airport. Everything was great from the room to the service. I think the reviewers are being a little harsh on here. I stay at many IHG hotels across the country and this one is more than accommodating and worth the money spent. We were able to leave our car at the hotel and a shuttle took us to the airport.

Thank you for a great stay!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Dear RDUHM,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your most recent stay with us, and are planning to return in the future. I'm glad that you were able to take advantage of our parking and shuttle amenities. Once again we appreciate and thank you for your feedback. Have a wonderful weekend.