“Has gone down hill, think this is my last stay”

Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport)
Ranked #29 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I have stayed here for the last 6 years, when I visit Grand Rapids for work about once every 3 months. Yes, the hotel is old and dated, but the service kept me coming back. Overly friendly staff. Today, The staff has become below average at best. No Plat recognition, lines at check in, and check in agent was chewing candy or a gum ball or something huge, which made her talk funny, it was a the size of a huge gumball sticking out of her cheek. How about we stop eating when talking to guests.

This combined with No refrigerators in rooms, toliet that barely flushes, and the worn and datedness, I regret to say I will be trying the Holiday Inn Express that gets much better reviews across the street on my next visit. Crowne plaza is suppose to be higher class, but it no longer is at this location.

Room Tip: A Tip to choose a good room would be call a different hotel, this one needs to be put out to pasture...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Dear Happyharvick,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Please accept my apologies for the "down hill" experience you endured during your recent stay with us. I have already forwarded your comments along to management. Rest assured, your review will be used to help us consider what improvements we need to make. If you would like to contact us directly, our front office manager's name is Chris Fuller. This is an older facility, but we are constantly striving to improve it to the best of our abilities. As far as the issue with the lady at the front desk eating/chewing something, I have addressed it to the appropriate manager. Thank you again for taking the time to write us a review. I hope that you can give us a chance to show you what improvements have been made on our end, during a future stay.

Sales & Social Media Coordinator

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport)

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Having stayed with Crowne in other locations we thought we had chosen well. We were disappointed. We booked in advance for the room and were double charged. Hotel staff was less than helpful with resolving charges. The room we had was noisy from all sides, including hallway. Carpet dirty, bed uncomfortable, broken tiles. We will not be back to this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Dear Bob H,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Please accept my apologies for poor service and lack of maintenance that you experienced during your recent stay with us. I have forwarded your comments along to the proper management. Your review will be used to help us consider what improvements we need to make. I hope you can give us a chance to show you what changes we have made during a future stay. If you have any issues with billing, or feel that you need to talk to management directly, our front desk manager's name is Chris Fuller. Once again I do apologize.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

Everything about this hotel was just fine but it's just not quite to the standard that I would expect from the "Crowne Plaza" name. It's obvious that the hotel acquired an existing building and is trying to bring it up to "Crowne Plaza" status. The rooms are nicely furnished but little things like wear on the carpet, room layout, and the extremely small toilet/shower area (separate from the sink), mark it as a former "budget" property. There was no towel rack in either the sink or shower area. Wall insulation seems to vary by area; I had no problems but a colleague was kept awake most of the night by a neighbor's snoring. Sounds from the hall are quite loud. Quality of the bed also varies; my mattress was very soft (too soft for my liking) while another colleague said her bed was hard - "beyond firm, this was actually hard." The TV picture was fuzzy (no hi-def) and was stretched to match the width of the screen. I started to get a headache after about half an hour.

The good things: The food was excellent. I was attending a professional meeting and we had buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner, each of which were delicious. The restaurant is also nice, with a good selection of reasonably-priced dishes. The staff are prompt, helpful and courteous. Connection to hotel wi-fi was simple and problem-free. There is a very small fitness center and a reasonably-sized pool.

The meeting rooms are convenient and well-equipped, although quite chilly. For our needs - a small group - it was perfect. Parking is ample and convenient. There are numerous restaurants and other stores within walking distance.

For our special "group" rate, it was just fine, but don't expect a typical "Crowne Plaza" property.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at the end of a hallway, away from the elevators, south side of the property.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Dear SuisseGal,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I'm pleased to see that your most recent stay with us. I'm pleased to see that the hospitality and food/beverage part of your visit went well. I'm also happy that you were satisfied with some of our amenities, ie. pool, fitness center, wifi. If you have any issues during a future stay with us, for example the temperature of a room, please don't hesitate to let our staff know so that the situation can be corrected immediately. You are correct, this is an older building, however, we are constantly looking for ways to improve and update this facility. Your concerns have been forwarded along to management. Rest assured your review will be used to help us consider what improvements we need to make. Once again, thank you for taking the time to write us a review.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Stayed for one night after booking a secret hotel on Priceline to get a lower rate. It said 3.5 star but it's no where near that. I've stayed at a few other local hotels in the past that were 2 or 2.5 stars and they were much nicer. First impression pulling in parking lot was that this was a old hotel. I checked in and as I walked into my building we were greeted with a very badly overflowing garbage can that was also laying on grass and sidewalk. I then went to my non smoking room was hit with a very strong smell of smoke so returned to the front desk for a different room and as I entered this one I found dirty socks from someone before us. I returned to desk to let them know and they said we will have someone come take care of it but hours later they were still there so I moved them to the hallway and 12 hours later they were still laying outside our door in the hallway. On a positive note they did clean up garbage by entrance right away after I let the front desk know and also they brought us a mini fridge to use for free which they normally charge for (not sure why). They also gave us free buffet breakfast after I complained to Priceline about the quality of the hotel. Everything about the hotel just feels and looks old. I was very disappointed with our stay and I expected WAY better from a Crowne Plaza hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Dear Jason M,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Please accept my apologies for the bad experience during your recent stay with us.

I will be forwarding your concerns directly to our management. Rest assured your review will be used to help us consider what improvements need to be made, and to give praises where needed. If you feel that you need to contact a manager directly, our front desk manager's name is Chris Fuller. Once again I apologize for the poor experience and hope that you can give us a chance to show you what we have done, during a future stay.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Good customer service, tastefully decorated room with comfortable beds and good quality bedding. We were given late checkout for free until 2 pm, which is an added bonus! The only thing that would make it even better is I wIsh they provide free breakfast, but Tim Horton's is just across the street.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear Joanna,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm pleased to hear that your most recent stay with us went very well. We appreciate your business and hope to be able to serve you in the future.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

The hotel is nice enough, but it was what I expect from a Holiday Inn, not a Crowne Plaza and that makes sense since the hotel is priced as a Holiday Inn. (I knew the great price was too good to be true!). Carpet wasn't the cleanest and while the bed was comfortable, the pillows were small. We were given the handicap room so had a walk in shower which didn't have shelves for soap, shampoo, etc. The buffet breakfast was delicious with many choices and we were able to add it on during booking for $5 each. That was a great price giving us the choice of the buffet or ordering anything from the menu. Every worker at the front desk, the bar and the restaurant was very friendly, knowledgable and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear wayfairers,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that the hospitality/service part of your visit was great. However, I do apologize for less than average room experience. I have passed your concerns along to management. Your review will be used to help us consider what improvements need to be made, and to give praises where needed. We appreciate your business, and hope to be able to serve you in the future.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Check in staff clearly hated their job. Surly, snappy, unfriendly. Rooms were dark. Dire warnings about smoking convince you they have a problem with smoking in the rooms and they do! Breakfast was included but we didn't chance it. Sundance Grill was across the street.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Earl H,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. Please accept my apologies for the substandard room and experience. I have passed your concerns along to the proper management, as we do take our guest comments seriously. Please be assured that these issues will be looked into and that your comments will be used to monitor future improvements needed.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to have the opportunity to provide a better experience for you in the future.