“Surprisingly bad”

Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport)
Ranked #29 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Stayed for one night after booking a secret hotel on Priceline to get a lower rate. It said 3.5 star but it's no where near that. I've stayed at a few other local hotels in the past that were 2 or 2.5 stars and they were much nicer. First impression pulling in parking lot was that this was a old hotel. I checked in and as I walked into my building we were greeted with a very badly overflowing garbage can that was also laying on grass and sidewalk. I then went to my non smoking room was hit with a very strong smell of smoke so returned to the front desk for a different room and as I entered this one I found dirty socks from someone before us. I returned to desk to let them know and they said we will have someone come take care of it but hours later they were still there so I moved them to the hallway and 12 hours later they were still laying outside our door in the hallway. On a positive note they did clean up garbage by entrance right away after I let the front desk know and also they brought us a mini fridge to use for free which they normally charge for (not sure why). They also gave us free buffet breakfast after I complained to Priceline about the quality of the hotel. Everything about the hotel just feels and looks old. I was very disappointed with our stay and I expected WAY better from a Crowne Plaza hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Dear Jason M,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Please accept my apologies for the bad experience during your recent stay with us.

I will be forwarding your concerns directly to our management. Rest assured your review will be used to help us consider what improvements need to be made, and to give praises where needed. If you feel that you need to contact a manager directly, our front desk manager's name is Chris Fuller. Once again I apologize for the poor experience and hope that you can give us a chance to show you what we have done, during a future stay.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Good customer service, tastefully decorated room with comfortable beds and good quality bedding. We were given late checkout for free until 2 pm, which is an added bonus! The only thing that would make it even better is I wIsh they provide free breakfast, but Tim Horton's is just across the street.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear Joanna,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm pleased to hear that your most recent stay with us went very well. We appreciate your business and hope to be able to serve you in the future.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

The hotel is nice enough, but it was what I expect from a Holiday Inn, not a Crowne Plaza and that makes sense since the hotel is priced as a Holiday Inn. (I knew the great price was too good to be true!). Carpet wasn't the cleanest and while the bed was comfortable, the pillows were small. We were given the handicap room so had a walk in shower which didn't have shelves for soap, shampoo, etc. The buffet breakfast was delicious with many choices and we were able to add it on during booking for $5 each. That was a great price giving us the choice of the buffet or ordering anything from the menu. Every worker at the front desk, the bar and the restaurant was very friendly, knowledgable and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear wayfairers,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that the hospitality/service part of your visit was great. However, I do apologize for less than average room experience. I have passed your concerns along to management. Your review will be used to help us consider what improvements need to be made, and to give praises where needed. We appreciate your business, and hope to be able to serve you in the future.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Check in staff clearly hated their job. Surly, snappy, unfriendly. Rooms were dark. Dire warnings about smoking convince you they have a problem with smoking in the rooms and they do! Breakfast was included but we didn't chance it. Sundance Grill was across the street.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Earl H,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. Please accept my apologies for the substandard room and experience. I have passed your concerns along to the proper management, as we do take our guest comments seriously. Please be assured that these issues will be looked into and that your comments will be used to monitor future improvements needed.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to have the opportunity to provide a better experience for you in the future.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

This hotel is ok, nothing great but no real complaints. The carpet in our room was dated and ugly and the pool area was overrun with loud children. The beds were comfortable with nice pillows, staff was friendly, plenty of free parking. I had a room with 2 queen beds on the third floor. Very clean room and bathroom. There was a nice balcony overlooking a quiet area. Several restaurants and bars within walking distance, although it is safer to travel by car if you're not drinking due to the dark and busy street. I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want a balcony, ask for a third floor room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear Erinb,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review on your most recent stay with us. I'm pleased to hear that your trip was not bad. However, I would like your next trip to be a Great one. :-) I have forwarded your comments along, as we do take guest reviews seriously. On your next visit, feel free to take advantage of our complimentary shuttle (within 3 miles), 24/7. Also, if you enjoyed your room's location, feel free to request the same room/one in the same area, and if available, we are always more than willing to accommodate. Thank you again, and we appreciate your business.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

I reserved a suite for a wedding weekend. Arrived at the hotel at 5 pm. Check in is at 4 pm. No suites available. Front desk lady offers to put me in a king room and "bring me up a microwave to the room". She appears to be serious. What a joke. So much for their advertised check in time. Stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear weldon79,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your most recent stay with us. Please accept my apologies for no suites being available. Your review will be used to consider improvements and give praises where needed. I hope that you can give us a chance to show you what we have done during a future stay.

Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night on a business trip. Grounds clean, check in efficient, room clean, no complaints. Dinner and breakfast buffet was very good. Wi-Fi worked fine. You can tell the hotel is a little dated, but they are putting forth effort to keep it nice. All staff members were pleasant. Yes, I will stay here again next time business brings me to Grand Rapids. Not 5 stars excellence, but definitely above average.

• Stayed: September 2013
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

Dear 6-of-us-were-there,
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to write us a review,

I'm extremely pleased to hear that your recent stay with us was better than average. I definitely appreciate that you noticed that we are working to keep everything looking updated and as nice as possible. We appreciate your business, and I hope that we have the chance to serve you again.