“Typical Crowne Plaza at GRR”

Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport)
Ranked #29 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids Airport is typical of what you expect from this brand. This one had a larger size lobby with a quick, friendly check in, though I was not given the room I requested (far from the elevator ‘cause you all talk too much in the hallway). The rooms are average size and style (popcorn cement ceilings, dark and dated furniture). The room was clean, with a large flat-screen TV, and comfortable beds with lots of pillows. The internet was fast and free; you will need the password found in the key envelope. The bathroom was also average size, with just one sink, but came with lots of bars of soap and three bottle amenities (shampoo, conditioner, hand lotion).

There is a free shuttle to the airport that leaves early and frequently and is one of the benefits of the hotel.

The Crowne Plaze is supposed to be at the top of the IHG chain (well, Intercontinental really is), and I often come away with the feeling that they just change the name on a Holiday Inn and charge more, but do not provide any additional service. On this trip, I also stayed at a Holiday Inn Express (same IGH chain), which was 50% cheaper, had nicer and bigger rooms, and came with a free breakfast…the bed did not have as many pillows, but everything else was better.

For an overnight hotel near the airport, this is perfectly acceptable place if you get a good rate.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
CrownePlazaGR, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear FlyguyAustin,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review on TripAdvisor. We are happy that you chose the Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids for your recent stay in Grand Rapids. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry to hear that you do not feel the brand lives up to your expectations. Please do not hesitate to contact IHG Corporate on this matter. Thank you again for taking the time to write us a review.

Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Was a little worried about this hotel considering the other reviews but I found it reasonably priced, clean and excellent service. The pools are beautiful. The hotel is actually quite large. I would stay here again, its a 10 min. ride to downtown.

• Stayed: August 2013
CrownePlazaGR, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Dear Dtestworkin,

Thank you very much for your recent stay and for your review. We appreciate your service. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to have you stay with us again on your next trip to Grand Rapids, MI. Thank you again.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night for a a little get away type night. I was very disappointed that the room did not have a refridgerator to keep drinks cold. I probably missed that on the website. Other than that the hotel was fine, not much contact with staff, other than front desk. Meijer/Walmart is very close, which we bought a disposable cooler there. Woodland mall is down the road, which we visited. Construction was done on 28th st!! Lots of food options along 28th st. Airport is close too. Like other reviewers mentioned it just needs a little updating to bring it up to standards that most people expect.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
CrownePlazaGR, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear alohaholi,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us a review. I hope that you enjoyed your little get away - those are needed sometimes! :) Yes, unfortunately not all of our rooms have a refrigerator in them, but this is something we are working on. We do have them available currently to add into a room for a small fee. We hope that you stay with us again the next time you are in Grand Rapids. Thank you again for writing a review.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We go to this hotel every July for family reunion. It has become very shabby! The grounds going to the pool is just dirt and tree roots. The decking by pool certainly needs to be replaced. The bathroom is tiny and the door was peeling varnish and was in terrible shape. I cannot believe they are three star. I would give them a 1.

Room Tip: I would pick another hotel! They need major renovation!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bonelle3917
John L, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear bonelle3917,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I am sorry that you feel the grounds are unsatisfactory. I will be passing this along to management as we take all of our guest comments very seriously. We hope to see you again next July for your families reunion so you will be able to see the constant improvements we are making at the hotel. Thank you again for writing a review.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

The only reason I give this place a rating of 2 is for their pool area that my children enjoyed the uniqueness of the indoor/outdoor connection. The pool area is however outdated badly, luckily my children didn't notice. I am seriously shocked that Crowne Plaza puts their name on this establishment. When I arrived at 8:00pm at night I asked for their best double bed room for me & my 3 children. After walking quite a distance to elevators that felt like freight elevators, we went up to our room and was sadly disappointed as we entered by the smell of stale smoke and blinded by bright striped carpet from a generation long past. The room was small, sadly outdated, smelly, and we spotted a spider on the wall right away. We left the room immediately. I went back through the long distance to the front desk and asked if she had a updated suite available and if I could pay to upgrade. While the rate was ridiculous for the location, I agreed to pay it since it was getting later and I had promised my children they would get to swim that night. Things began to look up when we arrived at our room door and it had a gold metal plate that read "Executive Suite" and my two oldest kids got excited. When we walked in I was even a little surprised, it was bigger than I had expected. My son was so excited, saying "mom, this is the biggest hotel room I've ever stayed in"....At this point I was thinking, hmmmm not so bad after all, these kids are super happy and they still have 2 hours to swim...well worth the extra money. As they laugh and giggle about having a living room and dining room and bedroom, etc...I start getting their bathing suits out and we get a knock on the door....I'm assuming they are checking to make sure everything is ok....I answer the door with a huge smile only to be greeted with a nasty face and harsh voice "we got a noise complaint, you are going to have to keep it down"....I said "Are you serious? We have only been in this room for less than 10 minutes and we haven't even been very loud!" He walked away saying "you got your warning"....My kids got their suits on and we went to the pool. They had tons of fun swimming and almost had the place to themselves except one creepy couple that came in and was the opposite of friendly...I think they were incapable of smiling. I said hi with a smile, they said hi back all somber. My 17 year old daughter was lifting my 6 year old daughter up & kinda throwing her in the water a little (with floaties and a life jacket) and then my 13 year old son would go under water and tickle her toes....and she would laugh and laugh. The couple acted irritated. I didn't want their night to be ruined, so I said "hey kids, lets go to the outside part" and the lady looked at me and then her husband and rolled her eyes. What? So then I just said, never mind. I was in a ghost town hotel and the few people there were all drinking the same Kool-Aid and hated us for no good reason. (Yes I was texting my husband at this point & telling him I was caught in the middle of a creepy movie). When it was 11:00 and the pool was closed, I collected my kids and went back up the freight elevator to our room. My oldest started running the water to take a shower and my son turned on the living room TV till it was his turn and the baby was in the bedroom watching TV waiting for her bath. I told my youngest I was going to get ice (and my oldest where I was going), but I really went down to the lobby to get snacks to surprise them with since swimming builds an appetite, and an evening cocktail for me. When I return, they are excited once again, and what do you know, another knock at the door. "We got a complaint about noise" ....I'm pretty upset at this point, "Really? What kind of noise? This suite looks like it is laid out for entertainment, yet it cannot withstand the sound of my 3 well behaved children?" His response was "This is your last warning or you will be kicked out with no refund". WTF!?! My first thought, call and complain on other guests....but I know this hotel is a ghost town & most of these rooms aren't even filled. As I try to figure out why they hate us so much my son goes out on one of the balconies and starts yelling...perfect. I go check, spiders everywhere. We all panic. Shut the door, smash them, check everything. Wait for the knock since we all screamed stupidly. No knock. Figures. The next morning I look at the bill slipped under the door. It's almost time to check out and I was charged for a breakfast we never ate and other random charges. I stop at the front desk. I get as far as the breakfast charge and she looks into it for a while, gets help, gets more help, gets management....really? 30 minutes later you cannot fix an upset customer's charge of 33.00 after she paid for the Executive Suite? Like she was having breakfast when she is checking out at the very last second & looks like she just woke up recently. Get a clue!!! Sad for you Crowne Palza to put your name on that run down, creepy, shady place.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
John L, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Dear michelllyn,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us here at the Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids and thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Although I cannot do much about the other guests staying in the hotel and their demeanor, I can apologize for your unpleasant experience with the rooms and the staff. I'm sorry to hear that there seemed to be a lot of spiders, I already sent maintenance/housekeeping a message about this to see if we can try something different in order to keep the spiders at bay. Although I do not know the full extent of the situations, the front desk staff will be briefed on how better to handle situations like this in the future, as what they said was in appropriate. Overall, I apologize that your stay did not fulfill your standards. I am happy to hear however that your kids enjoyed the pool (the indoor/outdoor part is pretty neat if I can say so myself). Thank you again for your review, we take these very seriously and continue to make changes based on guest feedback.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

The Aryana Restaurant and Bar has had Karaoke on Tuesday nights for some 8 months now. We decided to eat there and try it out. It is the same DJ that we see on Friday nights at another lounge. I ordered the baby backed ribs. They were good and served fast and hot. However we were the only ones sitting at a table in this giant room @ 7PM. In the beginning we got to sing every 15 minutes but the DJ said eventually a 175 were expected. As the large group of insurance agents staying at the Crowne Plaza started to make their way to the bar the two waitresses just stayed behind the bar serving drinks. Therefore the table service ceased at this point. By 10PM the singing rotation got to be an hour long. A hundred agents were now in the bar some scouting for more chairs to sit on. Mine got taken while I was singing the last song. One agent did a good Louis Armstrong and got the loudest applause of the night! The 18 foot ceiling made for a cavernous audio experience. Intelligibility was low, however, the words on the monitor were right over the singers head. Interestingly, as you walk down a long hotel corridor towards the bathrooms the bass diminished to the point where you could understand the words. We were told the crowd is always different; there are no locals that come every week-well, that is going to change. We are going to go back once a month because: the ribs are good, plenty of turns to sing before 10PM, it will be a different seminar crowd with different talent and a beautiful spacious room to entertain in.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
John L, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Dear Kenneth F,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write the Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids a review. I apologize that the table service you received was not up to your standards toward the end of the night; I will be sure to bring this up with our Food and Beverage Manager. I am sorry to hear that your chair got taken while you were singing. Although this was not ideal for you, I am sure the entertainment provided by everyone else's singing was probably a pleasant distraction. :) I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the ribs in the restaurant and the Karaoke. We look forward to seeing you on another Karaoke night. Also, we want to let you know that we have Team Trivia on Thursday nights at the same time in the lounge, so be sure to come check that out sometime as well! Thank you again for the review and enjoy your weekend.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

To start off I'd just like to say that the hotel itself is very nice. We stayed there four nights. The first night we bid on priceline and got an extremely good rate for a 3-star hotel. We then extended our stay the next night and they were nice enough to match our rate (actually it was even lower than the rate we bid with). So, all was dandy. We then checked out the next day and ended up bidding again for a hotel in Grand Rapids and got the same hotel again. It all went downhill from there.
The next day we called the front desk from 9 a.m. to around 3 p.m. to talk to a manager about matching a price. My fiancée kept speaking to a girl named Kristin. Let me tell you, I have NEVER met someone like her. She has got to be the rudest, snarky person with an "I don't owe you anything" kind of attitude I have EVER met. When he finally got the managers permission to match the rate once again, I had to go to the front desk because it was in my name. This Kristin girl was there and as soon as I walked up to the front desk she looked me up and down and ROLLED her eyes at me. She was answering phones and she was being so rude I almost just told her to forget it. But, finally little miss priss decided to re-key our keys and give us a pass to the gym down the street (free for people staying at the hotel).

In the morning we woke up late and while I was packing up my fiancee decided to go give the keys back. He asked the guy at the front the desk for a receipt. The front desk guy then replies with "I can't give you a receipt because you booked with priceline." WHAT?! My finacee then tells him the last night was matched by the manager. He then says that he can't give us a receipt because our credit card was declined. Umm, no it wasn't. We STAYED the night!! If it was declined then why would they give us keys to the room?? FINALLY he says, "oh sorry," and prints the receipt off.

In conclusion, I would just like to say that some of the staff at this hotel are very unorganized, unprofessional, and the rudest bunch of dim-wits you will ever meet in your life. Plus the Wifi sucks.

Room Tip: ALWAYS get a receipt. They like to charge you for no reason.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
John L, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear MelissaSNe,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us a response. Your response is being sent to our Front Desk Manager and our General Manger as we speak so the matter can be handled promptly as that type of customer service is not acceptable for us at all. Please accept my apologies as that is nothing close to an expectation of how our staff should be treating our guests. As for the WiFi, we recently upgraded and are still dealing with some kinks. I will be sure that this gets passed along to our internet provider so we can continue to work to resolve these for future stays. Again please accept my apology for the rudeness of the staff, this will be handled immediately and thank you again for taking the time to write a response for us.