“Needs refurbishing”

Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport)
Ranked #29 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
port huron, mi
“Needs refurbishing”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We go to this hotel every July for family reunion. It has become very shabby! The grounds going to the pool is just dirt and tree roots. The decking by pool certainly needs to be replaced. The bathroom is tiny and the door was peeling varnish and was in terrible shape. I cannot believe they are three star. I would give them a 1.

Room Tip: I would pick another hotel! They need major renovation!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank bonelle3917
John L, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear bonelle3917,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I am sorry that you feel the grounds are unsatisfactory. I will be passing this along to management as we take all of our guest comments very seriously. We hope to see you again next July for your families reunion so you will be able to see the constant improvements we are making at the hotel. Thank you again for writing a review.

Sales/Catering & Social Media Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The only reason I give this place a rating of 2 is for their pool area that my children enjoyed the uniqueness of the indoor/outdoor connection. The pool area is however outdated badly, luckily my children didn't notice. I am seriously shocked that Crowne Plaza puts their name on this establishment. When I arrived at 8:00pm at night I asked for their best double bed room for me & my 3 children. After walking quite a distance to elevators that felt like freight elevators, we went up to our room and was sadly disappointed as we entered by the smell of stale smoke and blinded by bright striped carpet from a generation long past. The room was small, sadly outdated, smelly, and we spotted a spider on the wall right away. We left the room immediately. I went back through the long distance to the front desk and asked if she had a updated suite available and if I could pay to upgrade. While the rate was ridiculous for the location, I agreed to pay it since it was getting later and I had promised my children they would get to swim that night. Things began to look up when we arrived at our room door and it had a gold metal plate that read "Executive Suite" and my two oldest kids got excited. When we walked in I was even a little surprised, it was bigger than I had expected. My son was so excited, saying "mom, this is the biggest hotel room I've ever stayed in"....At this point I was thinking, hmmmm not so bad after all, these kids are super happy and they still have 2 hours to swim...well worth the extra money. As they laugh and giggle about having a living room and dining room and bedroom, etc...I start getting their bathing suits out and we get a knock on the door....I'm assuming they are checking to make sure everything is ok....I answer the door with a huge smile only to be greeted with a nasty face and harsh voice "we got a noise complaint, you are going to have to keep it down"....I said "Are you serious? We have only been in this room for less than 10 minutes and we haven't even been very loud!" He walked away saying "you got your warning"....My kids got their suits on and we went to the pool. They had tons of fun swimming and almost had the place to themselves except one creepy couple that came in and was the opposite of friendly...I think they were incapable of smiling. I said hi with a smile, they said hi back all somber. My 17 year old daughter was lifting my 6 year old daughter up & kinda throwing her in the water a little (with floaties and a life jacket) and then my 13 year old son would go under water and tickle her toes....and she would laugh and laugh. The couple acted irritated. I didn't want their night to be ruined, so I said "hey kids, lets go to the outside part" and the lady looked at me and then her husband and rolled her eyes. What? So then I just said, never mind. I was in a ghost town hotel and the few people there were all drinking the same Kool-Aid and hated us for no good reason. (Yes I was texting my husband at this point & telling him I was caught in the middle of a creepy movie). When it was 11:00 and the pool was closed, I collected my kids and went back up the freight elevator to our room. My oldest started running the water to take a shower and my son turned on the living room TV till it was his turn and the baby was in the bedroom watching TV waiting for her bath. I told my youngest I was going to get ice (and my oldest where I was going), but I really went down to the lobby to get snacks to surprise them with since swimming builds an appetite, and an evening cocktail for me. When I return, they are excited once again, and what do you know, another knock at the door. "We got a complaint about noise" ....I'm pretty upset at this point, "Really? What kind of noise? This suite looks like it is laid out for entertainment, yet it cannot withstand the sound of my 3 well behaved children?" His response was "This is your last warning or you will be kicked out with no refund". WTF!?! My first thought, call and complain on other guests....but I know this hotel is a ghost town & most of these rooms aren't even filled. As I try to figure out why they hate us so much my son goes out on one of the balconies and starts yelling...perfect. I go check, spiders everywhere. We all panic. Shut the door, smash them, check everything. Wait for the knock since we all screamed stupidly. No knock. Figures. The next morning I look at the bill slipped under the door. It's almost time to check out and I was charged for a breakfast we never ate and other random charges. I stop at the front desk. I get as far as the breakfast charge and she looks into it for a while, gets help, gets more help, gets management....really? 30 minutes later you cannot fix an upset customer's charge of 33.00 after she paid for the Executive Suite? Like she was having breakfast when she is checking out at the very last second & looks like she just woke up recently. Get a clue!!! Sad for you Crowne Palza to put your name on that run down, creepy, shady place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
John L, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear michelllyn,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us here at the Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids and thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Although I cannot do much about the other guests staying in the hotel and their demeanor, I can apologize for your unpleasant experience with the rooms and the staff. I'm sorry to hear that there seemed to be a lot of spiders, I already sent maintenance/housekeeping a message about this to see if we can try something different in order to keep the spiders at bay. Although I do not know the full extent of the situations, the front desk staff will be briefed on how better to handle situations like this in the future, as what they said was in appropriate. Overall, I apologize that your stay did not fulfill your standards. I am happy to hear however that your kids enjoyed the pool (the indoor/outdoor part is pretty neat if I can say so myself). Thank you again for your review, we take these very seriously and continue to make changes based on guest feedback.

Byron Center, Michigan
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The Aryana Restaurant and Bar has had Karaoke on Tuesday nights for some 8 months now. We decided to eat there and try it out. It is the same DJ that we see on Friday nights at another lounge. I ordered the baby backed ribs. They were good and served fast and hot. However we were the only ones sitting at a table in this giant room @ 7PM. In the beginning we got to sing every 15 minutes but the DJ said eventually a 175 were expected. As the large group of insurance agents staying at the Crowne Plaza started to make their way to the bar the two waitresses just stayed behind the bar serving drinks. Therefore the table service ceased at this point. By 10PM the singing rotation got to be an hour long. A hundred agents were now in the bar some scouting for more chairs to sit on. Mine got taken while I was singing the last song. One agent did a good Louis Armstrong and got the loudest applause of the night! The 18 foot ceiling made for a cavernous audio experience. Intelligibility was low, however, the words on the monitor were right over the singers head. Interestingly, as you walk down a long hotel corridor towards the bathrooms the bass diminished to the point where you could understand the words. We were told the crowd is always different; there are no locals that come every week-well, that is going to change. We are going to go back once a month because: the ribs are good, plenty of turns to sing before 10PM, it will be a different seminar crowd with different talent and a beautiful spacious room to entertain in.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
John L, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear Kenneth F,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write the Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids a review. I apologize that the table service you received was not up to your standards toward the end of the night; I will be sure to bring this up with our Food and Beverage Manager. I am sorry to hear that your chair got taken while you were singing. Although this was not ideal for you, I am sure the entertainment provided by everyone else's singing was probably a pleasant distraction. :) I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the ribs in the restaurant and the Karaoke. We look forward to seeing you on another Karaoke night. Also, we want to let you know that we have Team Trivia on Thursday nights at the same time in the lounge, so be sure to come check that out sometime as well! Thank you again for the review and enjoy your weekend.

Holland, Michigan
Reviewed August 11, 2013

To start off I'd just like to say that the hotel itself is very nice. We stayed there four nights. The first night we bid on priceline and got an extremely good rate for a 3-star hotel. We then extended our stay the next night and they were nice enough to match our rate (actually it was even lower than the rate we bid with). So, all was dandy. We then checked out the next day and ended up bidding again for a hotel in Grand Rapids and got the same hotel again. It all went downhill from there.
The next day we called the front desk from 9 a.m. to around 3 p.m. to talk to a manager about matching a price. My fiancée kept speaking to a girl named Kristin. Let me tell you, I have NEVER met someone like her. She has got to be the rudest, snarky person with an "I don't owe you anything" kind of attitude I have EVER met. When he finally got the managers permission to match the rate once again, I had to go to the front desk because it was in my name. This Kristin girl was there and as soon as I walked up to the front desk she looked me up and down and ROLLED her eyes at me. She was answering phones and she was being so rude I almost just told her to forget it. But, finally little miss priss decided to re-key our keys and give us a pass to the gym down the street (free for people staying at the hotel).

In the morning we woke up late and while I was packing up my fiancee decided to go give the keys back. He asked the guy at the front the desk for a receipt. The front desk guy then replies with "I can't give you a receipt because you booked with priceline." WHAT?! My finacee then tells him the last night was matched by the manager. He then says that he can't give us a receipt because our credit card was declined. Umm, no it wasn't. We STAYED the night!! If it was declined then why would they give us keys to the room?? FINALLY he says, "oh sorry," and prints the receipt off.

In conclusion, I would just like to say that some of the staff at this hotel are very unorganized, unprofessional, and the rudest bunch of dim-wits you will ever meet in your life. Plus the Wifi sucks.

Room Tip: ALWAYS get a receipt. They like to charge you for no reason.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
John L, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear MelissaSNe,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us a response. Your response is being sent to our Front Desk Manager and our General Manger as we speak so the matter can be handled promptly as that type of customer service is not acceptable for us at all. Please accept my apologies as that is nothing close to an expectation of how our staff should be treating our guests. As for the WiFi, we recently upgraded and are still dealing with some kinks. I will be sure that this gets passed along to our internet provider so we can continue to work to resolve these for future stays. Again please accept my apology for the rudeness of the staff, this will be handled immediately and thank you again for taking the time to write a response for us.

IN
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I bid $45 on price line for a hotel in Grand Rapids area & got this hotel. It was a bargain! This hotel would be worth $100/night easily. The current rack rate is $120 I believe.

The hotel is a bit old...low ceilings, kinda tacky furnishings... but it's clean and comfortable. It was quiet at night even with my room right by elevator. One of the two elevators wasn't working...so we used the stairs, which was much faster.

The pool was pretty crowded, but it's neat how it is both indoor & outdoor pool. The hotel provided really nice lotion, soap, shampoo & conditioner. They also put a nice sleep kit on the bed... it had some foot lotion, face lotion & a spray bottle of "calming" scented spray.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
John L, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear thisismyfakename (we love your username :) ),

Thank you for your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids. We appreciate the feedback you gave us, we really do take all reviews seriously to improve for future guests, so we are grateful you took the time. I apologize for one of our elevators being down, you will be happy to know it is fixed! ;) We do have 5 elevators on property, as well as stairs, so it is nice to have options. Yes, the pool can get pretty crowded on the weekends, it is one of our amenities that guests simply love; a lot of guests stay here just for the indoor/outdoor pool. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the amenities provided in the guest room and hope the "Sleep Tight Aromatherapy" oils helped you get the rest you needed. Thank you again for your response.

Grand Rapids, MI
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My gf and I stayed at the Crown Plaza this weekend, and I had high expectations that unfortunately were not met.
After checking in, we asked for a fridge to be delivered, it came pretty quickly. However, it was dirty, with brown soda all over the inside. Also, the gal that brought it up was sort of unprofessional, saying that she couldn't wait to go home but "can't bi%#$ about the money".
We walked around to check out the pool area, the first thing I noticed was the couple of bandaids floating in the very cloudy hot tub. The pool was indoor/outdoor, and there was a great courtyard area and a cute little gazebo. We had crappy weather so we didn't really get to enjoy the pool, it was chilly. Honestly, the hot tub was the temperature that I thought the pool should have been (not hot at all), and the pool was cool. Like I said, if it were warmer out, it probably would have been perfect and I can't blame them for the water.
The room was okay, the bed was great. We had a balcony, but the screen door was off and just propped up against the wall, so we left the door shut the whole time. It was not a big deal but it would have been nice.
Now for the good part - the food. Every single thing we ate there was delicious. We had dinner at the bar on the first night - Devin was the bartender and she was amazing. She made great drinks, had awesome recommendations, and stayed right on top of what we needed, and we were there for about 5 hours. She made our night great. We had the cubano sliders, calamari, bruschetta, burger sliders, and banana foster cheesecake between the two nights, and all were delicious. They are using great ingredients and the kitchen knows how to prepare them. I guess during the week they have a buffet for happy hour...I would have loved that! Seriously, when room service food is better than a lot of restaurant food I've had, they are doing something right.
Our room included a couple breakfast passes, and the buffet was tasty. There were only 3 people working, and they all kind of wandered around helping whoever they were near. It was very disorganized and wasn't working too well. Honestly, it would be remedied by just putting the beverages on the buffet, that's all we needed the waitstaff for.
If you stay there, make sure you eat something. It will make the other, less than perfect parts of the stay all worth it. And say hi to Devin, she will treat you well!

• Stayed July 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear krhanson,

Thank you for posting your review, detailing the good and enumerating the opportunities to improve. It is good to know that the food served during your visit was at par with expectations and the room you were given suited your needs. However, allow me to apologize for the inconvenience you may have had with the condition of the fridge that you were given and if you found the maintenance around the pool area to be poor. Be confident that your notes will be shared with the staff involved to rectify these unsatisfactory circumstances.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We understood there were four wedding groups in the building (told to us by the check-in desk) but that doesn't mean the rest of the guests should suffer with poor customer service. If anything it should be better to make us feel comfortable. We only stayed for one night but it felt like we were just dollar signs.
We checked in and was brushed off for the people with the wedding group behind us. The hallways had running, screaming, wet children up until almost 1 a.m. The next morning at breakfast, no one greeted us in the restaurant, so we sat on couches near the bar, no one asked us about drinks or food options because the 2 servers were too busy to notice us. Most of the tables were overly full or still dirty. I did notice one server got her significant other (who doesn't work there) hot coffee in his thermos but didn't bother coming over to us after I waved my arm repeatedly. We sat for too long being ignored so we left without eating, $15 for your basic continental foods, no thanks.
Then we were a little late moving along so my husband called for a late check out, and were granted an extra hour which was nice but then we could hear the cleaning ladies complaining about us LOUDLY in the hallway. They knocked on cue 12pm... (why are you in a hurry and shouldn't you communicate with the front desk in situations like this?) We let them know we were granted late check out and she gave us attitude like we were lying. After a brief 10 min of calm as we began to collect our baggage and get ready for the day, we could hear them discussing our room in the hallway; that they were simply waiting on us before they could move on to another section and why were we taking so long and who gave us late check out, etc. In many standards this is unprofessional. We felt rushed and uncomfortable. They parked their cart right outside our door and basically sat on their phones or chatted until we opened the door to leave then they scattered looking busy. We couldn't wait to get out of there and stay at a hotel down the street. It was clear that guests not included in the busy wedding groups were not important. I quickly dropped my keys at the desk and left, talking to manager in my state of frustration would not have been productive or polite.
We travel a lot and thought that with the name Crown Plaza we would receive great service, something we have known to be true in the past. We are incredibly disappointed in the experience, we will not recommend this hotel to anyone and instead send them down the way to a competitors hotel who was much more pleasant and friendly.

Room Tip: Stay at Econolodge down the street, a little more outdated but worth every penny.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
John L, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Sarah J,

I am very sorry to hear that you had a less than pleasant experience on your most recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids. All of the behavior you described in your review is completely unacceptable here at the Crowne Plaza and I can assure you that the proper management is going to be notified and this will be addressed with the staff. If you wish to discuss these matters further to ensure they are addressed properly, please feel free to contact our Guest Service Manager, Chris Fuller.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate all feedback from our guests.