New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Nice hotel in grand rapids” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport)

Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport)
Ranked #35 of 50 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice hotel in grand rapids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed here 2 nights for a wedding. The hotel was quite nice--better than I expected. The decor is up to date. The lobby is quite lovely, with lots of seating and nice amenities like a convenience store. There is a restaurant and a lounge, though we did not try either. We also didn't use the pool or sauna, but we peeked our head in and both seemed clean and attractive. The room was in good shape and spotless, which is a real pet peeve of mine. The bathroom was kind of dark, but the vanity outside the tub/toilet room was not too badly lit. The room was large and had plenty of closet space, another thing I appreciate. Quite a lovely place to spend a couple nights!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nobigdeal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Lansing, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Booked this hotel for 4 women to stay in for a bachlorette party. I called with a few questions beforehand and the front desk staff were friendly and helpful in answering them. The hotel had no problem with us checking in an hour early. They were also very helpful in quickly providing a roll away bed when we had an additional person decide to stay in the room. They also provided the number for a cab service, which we used twice and who was very reliable. Even though the hotel seemed fairly busy, we didn't hear any noise in the hallway throughout the night and into the late morning. The shades on the windows were fabulous at keeping the light out, so much so that we thought it was still night at 10am! My friend also used the wireless internet and seemed to have no problems with it. Overall, the room and bathroom were fairly updated, nothing too special but definitely clean and appropriate given the price point. Would stay here again if I had the occasion to.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank dolphin17
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I tried pretty much all the hotels in the area before settling on the Crown Plaza. I travel to GR weekly and stay here each time. The rooms are the nicest in the area for the money and the executive floor is nice and quite and you get the Concierge Room as well if you qualify (which has free beer and munchies).

The food at the restaurant is very good and if you sit at the bar, Tammy is great! My only complaints are they need some free weights and a bench in the work out room and more TV channels.

Room Tip: As for the 4th floor on the 28th street side.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank thebarnmichigan
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

The staff was friendly and the lobby looked nice. The rooms were clean but the bed was too firm for me. We stayed on the third floor but the room felt like we were in a basement. It was very dark and dingy. The window was small and not a lot of light shed through. My husband complained about how dim the lamps were. It was annoying to have to charge my cell phone across the room because there were no plugs near the bed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Samantha7V
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Dear Samantha7V,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I appreciate the compliments on the look of our lobby and our friendly staff. I'm sorry though that you were not 100% satisfied with your room conditions. Thank you once again for your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Edward C.
Case Manager
IHG Care
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I was placed here as part of a large corporate group, so I did not choose this hotel myself. The corporate rate we received was fair for this very average hotel. I was on the first floor, but it was very quiet and the beds were comfortable. The wireless internet worked fine, and the towels were thick and clean, and bathroom amenities supplied. The service at the front desk and the restaurant was pleasant. I did not use the pool, though it looked nice. However, despite all these good things, nothing would lead me back to staying here again. The bathroom is small, and although the room was clean, it seemed dusty - probably because the decor and style is quite dated and old. It was the little things they didn't seem to pay attention to -- the battery for the TV remote was losing juice. I ordered a hot tea for room service the first night (which they delivered without the traditional milk/sugar/spoon/saucer), and the carafe of hot water stayed in my room for the next 3 days without being taken away by housekeeping. What REALLY annoyed me was there was no phone near the bedside (so I had to get out of bed and walk across the room to the desk to pick up my wake-up call) and I couldn't even plug in my own phone, etc. on the bedside because there were no available plugs. I CANNOT STAND hotel rooms that do not have enough power plug ins, and to have none near the bedstand is particular pet peeve of mine. There was no menu in the room for room service. No express check out. Nothing major enough for me to classify this as a bad style, and I've certainly stayed in worse, but still ... needs a little more focus on the little things, as well as a general refresh of the stale rooms.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank clamc40
John L, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear clamC40,

Thank you for staying with us while you were in Grand Rapids on business. We take great pride in offering outstanding service and a quality experience for our guests from start to finish, so we deeply apologize for our shortcomings during your stay with us. We hope that you are able to visit us again the next time you are in Grand Rapids and perhaps, next time, enjoy our indoor/outdoor pool!

Warmest Regards,

Todd Clark
Guest Services Manager
Dijon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This was a great place to stay. It was VERY CLEAN and quiet. The bed was comfortable and we got a great deal on hotwire!
The rooms could use a little updating, like the wallpaper that was falling off, the door to the bathroom needed to be replaced, etc. Other than those minor things, every thing else was great!
Bring your own shampoo....there is none provided.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank WIZZLE12
roseville, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I was so glad to know that. Thank you, Hotel Maintenance Worker with your walkie-talkie turned up full blast, standing in my hallway, and waking me up just after getting to sleep last night. Several other times, I heard other worker communication in the hallway. Thankfully, this wasn't too chronic.

Seriously, this hotel was not bad at all. A good deal was had on one of those Hot-Hotel-Line-Wire-dotcom websites. The hotel is a nice facility in a convenient location. Access to the hotel lot from the road is a bit cryptic, but not that big of a deal. The desk help was friendly, the lobby welcoming. The room was clean and modern, with some signs of updating. The beds were comfortable.

Other than the noise issues, this hotel is *almost* there, just needs a tiny bit more polish, maybe a smidge more tact by some hotel workers. I would still return, but request a less convenient room. The HVAC could be turned to fan only, which helped mask some of the hallway noise, which not much can be done about when it is other guests. This hotel did not have too much of that, which was nice.

Room Tip: Choose somewhere away from maintenance closets, elevators, and entrances.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mk48066
Dear mk48066,

Thank you for staying with us at the Crowne Plaza Hotel and for taking the time to share a review. We appreciate your kind words about our hotel, clean rooms and our friendly front desk staff. Our staff members are truly the heart of the hotel. We have addressed the issue regarding the use of walkie-talkie's in the hallways with our Engineering Department and we appreciate you bringing that to our attention. Thank you, again, for your patronage and for sharing your thoughts. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

At your service,